Hundreds of people waited in line last week to get their hands on the Blackberry Storm, the first touchscreen device from Research In Motion. Too bad the warning not to buy it didn't come until today. The highly anticipated phone was expected to be RIM's and Verizon Wireless' response to the iPhone, but obviously in the rush to get it out for the holidays, it's a flop. In doing so, it not only falls short of beating the iPhone, but may cause serious long-term damage to the company's reputation for building reliable enterprise devices.

ADVERTISEMENT
    The warning came in the form of a scathing review printed in The New York Times, which calls the device "a dud." The well-respected David Pogue must have pulled out his thesaurus for this one to come up with all ways to say "it sucks." He wrote: "Now, I wouldn't come down this hard on some product — especially one that was so eagerly anticipated, customers lined up at dawn on the day of its release — without getting a second, third and fourth opinion. And I'm telling you, there wasn't a soul who tried this machine who wasn't appalled, baffled or both." But it gets worse…he says people come to that conclusion before they discover that it doesn't have Wi-Fi, and worse has "more bugs than a summer picnic." It freezes, suddenly reboots, and has non-responsive controls and "other cosmetic glitches."

Now I know the review unit I got last week was not a lemon, but I guess the real deal. I too planned to write a review and record a video for all of you guys to watch, but unfortunately, the device was such a mess, I wasn't sure what to do. As with Pogue, I found that the phone had a delayed response to being in landscape mode vs. portrait. Worse yet, at one point, the screen shifted about an inch to the right, causing the word "Verizon," to wrap around, appearing as "izon Ver" on the screen. Once rebooted and recharged the flaw went away, but there were other glitches, too. When the keyboard appeared, sometimes keys were missing, or bleeding from one into one another. Also, I seriously questioned the "clickable" screen, which is supposed to replicate the feel of typing. Pogue compared it to an old school typewriter, but I just thought it made the device feel flimsy, like the screen was loose. And, after hundreds of emails and being stuffed into a purse thousands of times, what are the chances that it won't break?

The thing that baffles me is why aren't the thousands of consumers who have purchased the device revolting? In Europe, the device went on sale even early from Vodafone (NYSE: VOD - News), which owns almost half of Verizon Wireless (NYSE: VZ - News). If a mass wave of dissatisfaction is coming, it will only spell bad news for RIM (NasdaqGS: RIMM - News), and surely hurt its reputation for being known as the maker of reliable enterprise devices. NOTE TO ALL VERIZON WIRELESS CUSTOMERS: You have 30 days to return a device…

Perhaps, if the company moves fast enough, it can do damage control. Pogue says a software update is coming that RIM claims will fix some of the glitches. Maybe the company is banking on customers hanging in there, after all, almost everything is shipped in beta today and improved over the product's life. On paper, the Storm does remain a viable competitor on an apples-to-apples basis with Apple (NasdaqGS: AAPL - News). It comes with 8 GB of memory for storing music and other digital content, it costs just as much as the iPhone at $200, and it even beats the iPhone in some categories, such as being able to copy and paste, and having a 3.2 megapixel camera with flash and zoom. Pogue wonders the same thing as I do and writes like he is almost thinking out loud: "How did this thing ever reach the market? Didn't anyone at RIM actually try it?" If my beta theory holds any water, it may have even been Verizon Wireless that was pushing RIM to get a device out fast and worry about the details later. For some, Christmas definitely came too early. I copied this article from the ny times.
    11-27-08 05:40 AM
    Well first off, the author of the story doesn't tell you that he is a Apple fanboy. He doesn't tell you that he was the only journalist in America to get a sneak-peek at the Iphone and Iphone3G. I'm on wap so I'm not going to post everything I know about the guy, but to say he's biased is an understatement. He ll they guy can't get past the keyboard, and says as much. This isn't a real review. He doesn't like the UI. Doesn't mean someone else won't. He doesn't like surepress, doesn't mean others won't. The review is nothing but his disgust for all things that aren't apple. I mean damn, they guy didn't get past typing and the basic functionality of the device. Its a hit-job from a publication that's known for them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-08 05:54 AM
    Too add to what Crucial said...a previous article from him praised the keyboard shortcuts on the BB and then in this article he slams it for not having any..almost as if to say RIM removed them, which would make NO sense at all...Pouge needs to crawl out of Apples backside.
    11-27-08 05:58 AM
    Everytime I read a review and it says iphone, I stop reading. The iphone is not the only touchscreen phone out on the market, and it sure was not the first touchscreen phone.
    11-27-08 06:09 AM
    I'm on wap so I'm not going to post everything I know about the guy, but to say he's biased is an understatement.

This is sleazier than an allegedly "biased" product review. Put up or you know the rest.
    11-27-08 06:11 AM
    I played with the storm in a Verizon store the other day. It was sluggish, and kept freezing up. I really didn't like the way the screen pops up and down when selecting. Think I'll wait for the javelin.
    11-27-08 06:37 AM
    So I guess all the bad reviews from the Storm are from Apple fanboys?
    11-27-08 06:41 AM
    Well I own a iphone and now the storm and I can't wait until next month when my att contract is up to cancel the iphone and stick to the storm so is it not biased?

11-27-08 06:44 AM
    Oops. I just posted the link this morning to the NY Times article and now see this. Sorry about the double thread everone. Obviously, I didn't have enough coffee yet.
    11-27-08 06:50 AM
    I emailed him and told him how biased his review is. If you want to express your opinions, here is his email address

E-mail: [email protected]
    11-27-08 06:58 AM
    I laughed at "The thing that baffles me is why aren't the thousands of consumers who have purchased the device revolting?" Well, gee, maybe the others are HAPPY with their Storms.
    In all honesty, when I read a review like this, I take it as poor journalism.
    11-27-08 08:20 AM
    And the New York Times also praised Obama as the annointed one and gave nothing but negative press to McCain. If people look to others to make their buying decisions for them, they are just sheep. No article in a newspaper, or someone's negative posting about anything, whether cell phones or a food product is going to influence my buying.

I've had my Storm since 11/21/08, prior to that a Curve owner, and I absolutely love the Storm. Sure the bug fixes will be coming out starting in early December, but this phone is not a flop or deemed unusable.

Those who are giving the Storm the most negative reviews are either iPhone fanboys or they got their first Blackberry phone and have never used a Blackberry or Smart Phone in their life before getting their Storm.
    11-27-08 08:29 AM
    Well count me as a STORM fan. I love mine. I may also be one of the lucky ones that has not had a problem with mine. I do agree that the change time from portrait to landscape is a little slow...BUT it's not like it takes minutes, it's just a few seconds. I have the Ipod touch and that takes a few seconds too.

I won't be revolting...I am singing it's praises to everyone I know!!!
    11-27-08 08:32 AM
    Revolting????? ARE YOU GUYS KIDDING ME? IT'S A DAMN PHONE!!!!

It's simple. They take it to the store and get a different phone. End of story. They don't riot in the streets. The Storm has been a flop so far. It has problems even though many of us will "live with them" as early adopters and the joy of having something totally new. But as a practical device for the average person, it simply does not work. It's frustrating. There are more important things in life than to revolt about a phone that doesn't work if you can return it... and they do.
    11-27-08 08:46 AM
    It is the new york times, i mean seriously. I am so tired of hearing all the bashing on this phone. When i first tried it i got really frustrated super fast. After i got home and actually had a chance to mess with it i now love it. It is called a LEARNING CURVE for a reason, seriously people. RIM tried something different and tried to reach a different share of the market. Anyone who thought this was going to be a regular blackberry and function in the same respect needs to have there head examined. The fact that everyone is expecting perfection is beyond me, after a few updates i am sure that this device will function wonderfully. Stop comparing it to the iphone, apple has been dealing with the platform that it is ran on in more devices than just the phone.
    11-27-08 09:02 AM
    Am I hearing the word "Curve" again? LOL. RIM tried something different but this one was released too early. They tried to reach for the IPHONE MARKET with a touch screen, that is why you hear the comparisons. The fact is that the updates aren't going to change the integral nature of the way the phone works, which is still a Blackberry OS in the body of a touch screen phone. You'll constantly hear the comparisons because the iPhone is made, ground up, as a touch screen OS for a touch screen phone. They should have first perfected their "for keyboard" OS before trying to be all things for all people. There still isn't a decent launcher in the OS, amongst other things, and they JUST got native email attachments and ability to read native MS office docs. Bad idea. The Storm is great fun for those willing to blow a few hundred dollars and 1-2 years of service agreements in exchange for being at the forefront of a new idea. It's your call but you can't blame people for the obvious comparisons and complaints.
    11-27-08 09:11 AM
    Everytime I read a review and it says iphone, I stop reading. The iphone is not the only touchscreen phone out on the market, and it sure was not the first touchscreen phone.
    One techies opinion, HERE is kind to iPhone, but outlines its limitations for Exchange integration. In short; its not ready for primetime.

Friends/co-workers that have iPhone convinced me to stay with BB for business usage. I am a first time BB user/owner and feel the storm meets my expectations very well. I am not a trackball educated user so cannot compare to longtime BB users.
    11-27-08 09:46 AM
    Sorry all, this phone is officially a Dud. That Times article couldn't have been more scathing, and it closely mirrored most of the complaints I've seen on these boards (i.e., it wasn't totally outlandish). RIM dropped the ball!

For those who like the Storm, keep on truckin'... When mine (free one) comes in the mail, I just hope I can find someone on ebay who hasn't read this article!
    11-27-08 11:50 AM
    Listen I'm going to be completely honest because people just do not understand what's going on.

I do understand the phone just came out and its RIM's first shot at the touchscreen and there will be bugs. That is to be expected. So let's get that out of the way.

The most important thing at hand to remember here is that the device suffers from some horrible problems and it is released now to the end user. The way the phone runs now is unacceptable. People have payed good money for the phone it should at least run half way decent. People have payed their hard earned money to basically be beta testers and that to me is not fair. Verizon and RIM are coming off looking like a disgrace.

You can pour through the thousands of negative threads here and the countless negative reviews and put 2 and 2 together. How is this fair to the consumers who payed money and in turn were given a device that did not even run half way decent.
    Verizon pisses me off for doing this to people and RIM should be embarrased they let this happen.
    Its just messed up you all have to deal with this crap. You all deserve better than this and for 2 companys to pull this kind of stunt is in my eyes totally unacceptable.

I can't stand that the consumers were taken and basically ripped off and are essentially beta testers for 2 companys that have way more money and time to waste than you or I.

The ONLY way to say "we are not going to take this anymore" to both Verizon and RIM is to return the phone and wait for them to release a halfway decent phone that you can happily spend your money on. Everybody here works hard for their money and its obvious VZW and RIM could care less.

Crucial I know we both have ageed on the VZW deal and I too find it disgusting that they did this to people. Heck I don't even own the phone and I'm mad at this whole thing.

To wrap it all up I don't think the author meant to literally riot over the phone. I think he was only saying to go into Verizon and demand a refund or different device. Don't be these 2 companys guinea pigs unless they want to pay YOU.

Stop making excuses and calling the articles "biased" or favoring Apple. That attitude allows them to continue to screw the end user.

11-27-08 01:25 PM
    Me love storm! LOVE

11-27-08 01:29 PM
    Everyone on this board KNEW for WEEKS that the phone will come with bugs.. and EVERYONE said they will ride it out..

Guess what.. it has bugs and alot of people forgot about their "I don't care if it has bugs" posts and are now complaining.

Again all these issues are KNOWN issues, and have been known for a long time.. They should have pushed this for a christmas gift.. not a black friday sale, hindsight is just that..

S#it i got totally skrewed and they botched my order on Friday morning and am now not getting one. And i knew going in the phone will be laggy..

Since Verizon F#Cked me over i'll just wait for the update THEN drive over to the store and buy one.
    11-27-08 01:38 PM
    Another bad review, is this also from an Apple fanboy?

Review - Blackberry Storm: prepare to be let down - Tech & Web - Times Online
    11-27-08 02:04 PM
    I get a chuckle out of all these posts about how horrible the Storm is. I have a simple question, what do all of you care whether those others like it or not.I personally could not care less that you think its crap, if I bought it the only one that matters is me. And I like it. It works well for what I bought it for and, OH MY I'm still LEARNING it. Lighten up life is to short.
    11-27-08 03:54 PM
    I find this phone amazing, better than any phone I ever had. Best touch screen on the market by far and I do inclued the sucky iphone. But I must give some credit to the iphone, It was one of my many stepping stones that carried me to the greatness called the Storm.
    11-27-08 05:12 PM
    I thought this reply to the review was pretty spot on

New York Times slams RIM

Rant But can it be trusted?

By Nick Farrell: Thursday, 27 November 2008, 9:55 AM

THE NEW YORK TIMES has done a hatchet job on the latest RIM Blackberry Storm with a stinging review by David Pogue with calls the latest offering a "Blackberry dud".

I have long been sceptical about how Apple uses a select band of tame hacks who get their paws on Apple gear early in return for writing glowing copy about the company. This is a case in point.

An analysis of Pogue's work shows him writing 90% wonderful things about the Apple iPhone and also getting hold of the 3G Jesus phone before it hit the shops.

The New York Times was penning loads of pro-Apple iphone stories before the launch and rushed to cover the queues that were forming to buy the thing.

However, getting gear early in return for writing gushing pieces is one thing, making the move to attack Apple's rivals on its behalf is another.

Looking at Pogues' review he has nothing good to see in the BlackBerry Storm which he compares to the "much adored iphone". We should point out, in case you have not noticed, that I do not adore the iphone which even Pogue admitted was flawed in his only negative comment about the toy.

His review claims that the touchscreen was a bid to cash in on some of that iPhone touch-screen mania. But while it is good for the Apple, Pogues claims that a "BlackBerry without a keyboard is like an iPod without a scroll wheel". Yup, even his similes are an advert for an Apple product. An ipod with out a scroll wheel is an MP3 player and my Sony Walkman is just fine thank-you and it does not require me to give all my personal details to Sony before I use it. Why is a touch screen brilliant and wonderful when Apple use it but not when its rivals do?

The thing that Apple didn't come up with, the click function, is written off as 'not a bad idea' but the Storm's execution is 'inconsistent and confusing'.

He 'quotes' an unnamed person who couldn't send an email. Unnamed people in tech stories are a bit like 'friends of the family' in tabloid stories. They have a habit of saying what ever the hack wants them to say. Who was this elusive shadowy figure who couldn't send an email using the device? Was it a techie? Was it a badger who lacked opposable thumbs who fought in 'Nam.

"I haven’t found a soul who tried this machine who wasn’t appalled, baffled or both," he concludes. Maybe you should stop talking to Apple fanboys or the Apple press office David, none of them can have a dump if Steve Jobs has not told them how to do it.

The point is that the phone might be pants. Pogues may be completely right about it. However, reviewers lack credability when they sign themselves up to a manufacturer in return for gear.

Apple is fighting a tooth-and-nail campaign against RIM and it just makes you wonder if Pogue is dissing the Storm because it is daring to compete against his manufacturer of choice which does him so many favours.

In IT journalism there is no room for fanboys of any flavour. A good hack should hate everyone and pour scorn or praise on a device because of the way it works.

Not because you have swallowed some corporate Kool Aid.

New York Times slams RIM - The INQUIRER
    11-27-08 05:57 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD