02-24-09 01:09 PM
37 12
tools
    Hi Guys

I am really new to forums etc.......

I currently have a Blackberry 8820 and I think its brilliant. I am now at the point where I can upgrade to a different phone and or provider. My husband has the latest Apple iPhone 3G he says its the dogs whatsits and ok it's good from what I have done on it but is it as good as the new Blackberry Storm.

My question is Blackberry storm or Apple iPhone??? or maybe there's something else out there that beats these????
    02-20-09 10:50 AM
    You're never going to manage much of a good answer for that one. You'll either get people who hate the Storm and will say Jesus Phone because it's the "in" phone to have, or you'll get people who hate the Jesus Phone and will recommend the Storm just because it's not the Jesus Phone.

You already have access to a Jesus Phone, so you can play with it a bit, and then you can compare it to a store model Storm. Store models are generally abused to no end, and if you put one of the leaked OS builds on, it will run a lot faster, but it will give you an idea of whether or not you like the click screen system (SurePress) and all that. There's also the revamped Curve and Bold which should be available on your side of the pond.

Since you're in the UK, I don't think the Palm Pre is an option, but Nokia seems to focus pretty heavily on the European market, so I wouldn't count them out.
    02-20-09 11:58 AM
    Lets see..
    A polished rock solid product, thousands of great apps, great OWA connectivity, VPN, cutting edge product.
    OR
    Sluggish, buggy, still not ready for prime time product, a hand full of apps, one or two worth having, crippled OWA, no VPN, going no where fast.

Tough choice.....
    02-20-09 12:27 PM
    I think your first step is to decide whether or not you like a touch screen. If you do a lot of emailing or texting from your phone and/or you have long fingernails you may want to stay away from touch screen phones altogether and upgrade to a BB Bold or something. Personally, I would prefer a regualar keyboard, but I like the Storm too much for other reasons so I deal with it.

Now, if it still comes down to the Storm or the iPhone you need to decide whether or not you like the Sure Press display. Having to press the display while typing takes a bit more energy than just tapping, but the tradeoff should be better accuracy since you have to select and then confirm everything.

Now, if the display doesn't answer it for you then you need to just go down the line on features, advantages of one over the other, etc., and decide what's important to you.

iPhone good:
    Well built, looks nice, smooth and polished interface and operating system.
    Easy to use.
    Great media device, especially if you're into games.
    Nice internet browser.
    Wi-Fi.
    Easily syncs with iTunes.
    Fast camera.
    HUGE app store and gazillions of apps available or coming.

iPhone bad:
    Bluetooth support is flakey at best, and no stereo bluetooth support.
    No multimedia (MMS) messaging. (a real downer for me).
    No video recording.
    No landscape qwerty keyboard (another killer).
    non expandable memory.
    Non replaceable battery (that has miserable life).
    Thought he camera is fast, it sucks. 2.0 MP, no flash, no auto focus, no image stabilization, colors are off...can't focus on anything up close.
    Doesn't do a good job of notifying you of messages.
    AT&T.

Granted, some of the downsides can be fixed by jailbreaking the iPhone, but whether you want to do that I don't know.

Now the good about the Storm:
    The email support you have come to love from BlackBerry.
    While not as polished as the iPhone, the multimedia capabilities are good.
    The Storm looks and feels amazing in the hand.
    Breat bluetooth support with A2DP stereo support for music playback.
    Better phone sound quality, better reception.
    Higher screen resolution...looks awesome with videos!!!
    Multiple keyboard configurations.
    Video recording.
    Multimedia messaging.
    3.2 MP camera with autofucus, stabilization, flash, GPS tagging...
    Expandable memory up to 32 GB.
    Replaceable battery.
    Verizon.

The bad:
    The operating system still needs some polishing. I have a good feeling it will be within the next month or so.
    The media player is functional and does what it needs to, but lacks the polish of the iPhone.
    There have been some quality control issues with hardware. Hopefully that's being worked out.
    Applications are expensive and limited.
    Sometimes can be a little too annoying with the messaging, but at least you never miss anything important!
    Not a gaming device. Basic games yes, but it lacks capabilities to do what the iPhone can in that department.

What do I like? Honestly, I like them both for different reasons and dislike them both for different reasons. Pretty much outlined above. I have to say though, the one thing I really dislike about the iPhone is the whole attitude thing that seems to almost be a requirement if you have one. That need to make sure you flaunt it and make sure everyone in the world knows you have it. I just don't get that. Overall though the iPhone works better for my other half and the Storm works better for me. That's really what it comes down to; picking the one that works best for you.
    02-20-09 01:12 PM
    Lets see..
    A polished rock solid product, thousands of great apps, great OWA connectivity, VPN, cutting edge product.
    OR
    Sluggish, buggy, still not ready for prime time product, a hand full of apps, one or two worth having, crippled OWA, no VPN, going no where fast.

Tough choice.....
    To the OP, I was going to say asking on the Crackberry forums isn't such a smart idea. Too much bias.

Fortunately, we have people who purchase the Storm, hate it, stick with it, and still recommend the iPhone.

What a great community!

02-20-09 01:40 PM
    iPhone by far

I own a Bold and an iPhone.. I bought the Storm for my girlfriend.

Having used all 3 the iPhone is definitely the best for me..
    02-20-09 02:11 PM
    Depends on what you want in a phone.

I do look forward to the Blackberry Application Store to see what they can crank out for this phone.

I, for one, love my Storm. It runs flawlessly and quickly on OS .99 (other ones were either stable and slow or fast but buggy). This one is perfect. I don't plan on installing another leaked OS until there is drastic improvements over .99.

I'm also still on my first phone that I've had since launch day.

Anyway, to better answer your question, what is it that you look for in a phone?
    02-20-09 03:07 PM
    Iphone is nice. Storm needs a little more time in the bullpen. If the 8820 is keeping you warm at night you're none the worse for keeping it. Also depends on what you're looking for in a smart phone. In about a month the storm may be experienced enough to satisfy all your extra needs. lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-09 05:42 PM
    The thing you have to look past is the "fun" things when picking. As much as all of us talk up or talk down about the Storm or iPhone the service is what we all care about.

There's nothing like getting a text or voicemail 3 hours later or a couple days later sometimes.

I have the iPhone for work and I own a Storm for personal use. I like both phones, they do what I need. But the one thing I cant stand it the crappy service by AT&T! It is junk!

People will say what they want about the storm when they forget the iPhone had all the same problems as the storm when it first came out. NO apps, this isnt working, that isnt working...ect. It's been under 4 months and those problems will get resolved soon.

I would have to say the Storm if your looking for the overall package of having a product that works and always keeps you in touch.

If your worried about have a "fart" app and other pointless things then go with the iPhone. Service is where it's at... Verizon and the Storm are the way to go right now...
    02-20-09 05:47 PM
    Lets see..
    OR

Tough choice.....
    To the OP: The quoted message is exactly what I was talking about.

The Storm is a great phone, but it's not for everyone. So be sure to try one out first, and see whether or not the SurePress screen is for you. If not, just go to stores and try demo models of different phones until you find one that seems to be a good fit for you. Don't worry about what other people think, because other people aren't going to be using YOUR phone for the duration of your contract.
    02-20-09 05:53 PM
    This topic has been chatted about to death all over the net and even quite a few threads on Crackberry.

Please do a search and utilise the zillion other threads, otherwise everyone's just covering the same ground.

Thanks.
    02-20-09 06:26 PM
    In my next conversation on this topic, I hope you don't mind me borrowing your analysis ChuckH0308; I couldn't say it better.

02-21-09 03:17 AM
    I bought the Storm on launch day and went through a couple of replacements. .75 was not serviceable to me at all...way too slow. I tried each and every leaked OS and my insanity only grew larger and larger. I was a longtime "VIP" Customer with VZW..and i love their coverage....The Storm however...was a total nightmare. I don't think I have ever hated a piece of high end technology like I hated this phone. Last week...I took the plunge and went to the iPhone and let me just say that this phone is so well done! I live in Chicago and AT&T's network has been great too....which may not be the same for everyone else. I have had no crashes...it is flawless with my corporate exchange server. I would just go with the iPhone or something else with VZW if they have something at all that interests you. The Storm is an extremely weak implementation of what could have been nice. Don't get too excited about the BB App store either...you can't install it into the storage memory so you will go nuts with that as well. The iPhone is the first Apple product I have ever owned and I am quite impressed.
    02-21-09 09:34 AM
    Well like the first post from bigman2 says, you probably wont get a good answer here. Although ChuckHO308 did a great job on his. It all comes down to you.
    If you want to play games on the phone, Get the iphone.
    If you want the email capabilities go with the Storm.
    It really is all about you. I love the surepress, and the thing i dont like about touchscreens is i always pick the wrong damn icon or link by mistake, so with the storm, you have the highlight then click situation to where i can get what i want without having to reload the page and try again. That is me though.
    Best thing is to try them out and see what suits you best.
    02-21-09 09:36 AM
    If you want a touch screen phone then the iPhone is the ONLY sensible option.

If you want a new BlackBerry go for the Bold or the new new Curve 8900.

The Storm is not a "BlackBerry" in the traditional sense, if you have come to love a BlackBerry for it's robustness, responsiveness and effortless messaging and email then you will horrified by the Storm (you probably wouldn't like the iPhone much more either - there is really no substitute for a physical keyboard if you do a lot of messaging).

IMHO of course.
    02-21-09 03:14 PM
    there is really no substitute for a physical keyboard if you do a lot of messaging
    Very true.

Now if you aren't prone to responding (athough I say this after hammering out a 2 page email just a min ago), like reading push email, and are looking for a touchscreen BB, you could opt for the Storm.
    02-21-09 03:41 PM
    storm or iPhone...hmm

well I picked the storm.

I upgraded from a motorola krazer and I was excited about the storm. Touch screen, e-mail, internet...whats not to love?!
    -Well the thing is....it's not an iPhone. If verizon had the iPhone I would have bought it, but I've been with verizon for 6 years now and my dad lives out of state, so its important for me to be able to call him and not worry about overages, plus I have a good friend who is in the computer and cell phone industry and he's got a treo and verizon and told me that I would be sorry if I switched to AT&T cause of the coverage. My step brother often drops calls and gets late txt msg's cause our house is a weird place for cell service, but its worse with at&t.
    Also....I'm an EMT, so phone's get dropped, wet, stuff spilled on them...etc. and verizon has insurance, iPhones don't and I can't afford to spend 500 on a new phone if something happens to it
    So okay, I stayed with verizon....didn't really like the palm treo's and wanted a touch screen....so that drew me to the storm.
    Got it, played with it...and it seemed anti-climatic to me. A co-worker asked me that day how I liked it...my reply was "ehh its okay"
    I was disapointed....no apps like the iPhone, no browser like the iPhone, no media like the iPhone. Plus i wasn't used to the whole BB setup and wanted point and touch simple screens like the iPhone.
    then something happened.....I found crackberry, desktop manager and the tons of apps on the net.....next thing I know, my music is on my phone, I got my g-calander all synched up, my myspace and twitter, I can play music while on the net and txting a friend all at the same time. I can copy, paste, and send pic messages to my friends with old "dumb" phones. I upgraded to .99 and added themes and customized the phone to my liking.
    I'm a month in now and I picked up an iPhone the other day and hated it....mispelled words, couldn't get the landscape keyboard, had to exit the browser to txt message....it seems like a phone that does not multi-task well. Plus I was annoyed that there are no menu options like my bb.
    So I love it now....I wish for a better browser soon...mini opera didn't do it for me and bolt was weird...and I want more apps and an app store. Other than those things....I love my phone!
    Last edited by MichelleLT; 02-21-09 at 06:51 PM.
    02-21-09 06:48 PM
    I'm a month in now and I picked up an iPhone the other day and hated it....mispelled words, couldn't get the landscape keyboard, had to exit the browser to txt message....it seems like a phone that does not multi-task well. Plus I was annoyed that there are no menu options like my bb.
    Really? I personally found the Storm's autocorrection to be awful.

The lack of a landscape keyboard for emails and texts is particularly egregious (unless they've since corrected that)

Multitasking is definitely a problem with the iPhone.

And while menu options aren't as intuitive and easy to pickup as the iPhone's menu structure, I do like the fact that bringing up the menu offers an incredible amount of flexibility.
    02-21-09 06:57 PM
    I was asking the same question 2 weeks ago... BB Storm or iPhone. I went with the BB Storm and have no regretted it since!! It has so much more capabilities then the iPhone.

If you want the iPhone to "fit in" with the crowd go for it, but if u want a mans phone get the Storm LOL

Really its up to you... it depends what you want it for. Go in to both stores, try them both out and decide then. Also look at the specs of each and see what the pros and cons are over each phone, thats what i did and i looked at loads of youtube videos

Let us know what you decide

BTW - welcome to the forum
    02-21-09 07:01 PM
    Props to ChuckH0308... You armed me with the ammunition I needed against the Storm haters and iPhone socialites at the office! lol.

Thanks bro!
    02-22-09 04:12 AM
    Would have to be blackberry storm any day. I have never owned a blackberry handset before but it always did appeal to me. Had the chance to get an iphone when it was first released and did. Enjoyed it because it was new to me and thought the look was as good as it gets. Until the storm hit my screen i new i just had to have it, so gave my iphone to my brother and upgraded to a mans phone. Never regretted a second of it. I have people in work with the iphone and when they get it out there is a "OOOOOOOOOOO" from a crowd of people until they see the style and sex appeal of my blackberry storm. For me just the look of the storm is an iphone killer!!!!!!!!
    02-22-09 04:27 AM
    Really? I personally found the Storm's autocorrection to be awful.

The lack of a landscape keyboard for emails and texts is particularly egregious (unless they've since corrected that)

Multitasking is definitely a problem with the iPhone.

And while menu options aren't as intuitive and easy to pickup as the iPhone's menu structure, I do like the fact that bringing up the menu offers an incredible amount of flexibility.
    I like the auto correct but it can get annoying sometimes, but i'm also pretty sure you can configure and add certain words to equal others I just haven't played with it....I mis-spelled more words cause the wrong letters were highlighted and I tried to move them and it entered them instead. I didn't like that part

I got .99 and get a full keyboard in either way (idk what they are called....I'm tired)
    02-23-09 03:07 AM
    This is a tough question.

I first started out with a crappy Motorola phone. After 2 years I switched to a Curve and I LOVED it. It was my first smart phone and I must admit it did become "crack." After 2 years I noticed the Storm was coming out so I got hyped. I loved RIM, and their interface I believe soundly in their judgment. The problem is, I don't know if it was Verizon or RIM that decided to launch this phone 6 months to early but they did. I sucked it up and still bought the phone day one, I was trusting in RIMs judgment and ability to deliverer a killer phone. At the time I had an Ipod touch, and had access to an Iphone. Was the Iphone good? Yes very good, but let me explain what Apple does.

They take an existing technology and improve it in a minimal way. Polish the **** out of it, make it accessible to everyone, and make the thing work smoothly. Now look at the 3g, 3/4s of the programs out for the phone is a gimmick or a game. I'm not saying kudos for the amount of apps, but I am not someone who wants these types of apps. You need to learn, the 3g is not a fair competition. It has been out longer, and has a lot more time to devolp. If you want a fair compairson look at the original Iphone compare it to the Storm and you will see where the Storm WILL go.

The biggest thing I can say is this, if you like/love the Surepress (like I do) then you will love your storm. If you are iffy I would say wait and try to find someone who has the phone and play with theirs for an hour. Do basic texting just the normal stuff. If you can get used to it then it really is an amazing phone. All the problems I have with the Storm are OS related and like I said, I trust RIM a lot more than Apple. You can't really go wrong either way, but a lot of the pros and cons I saw is this thread really is a great comparison. I run .75 and I love my Storm, I wouldn't trade it for any other phone on the market. I just wish RIM would have waited 6 months to nail the OS and to get rid of a lot of the neg press that follows the storm. 6 of my friends who have Iphones always play with my Storm when I'm around. Grass isn't always greener.
    02-23-09 04:25 AM
    In my next conversation on this topic, I hope you don't mind me borrowing your analysis ChuckH0308; I couldn't say it better.

Ditto. chuck's analysis was well thought out, straight forward and an honest assessment. No ranting, no "this phone s****", etc.
    02-23-09 09:37 AM
    "OOOOOOOOOOO" from a crowd of people until they see the style and sex appeal of my blackberry storm. For me just the look of the storm is an iphone killer!!!!!!!!

Great points, who cares if there are no apps, a buggy and slow OS, lack of features, dozens of hardware problems, an app store that is a pipe dream, it is Sexy phone!!!!!!!!

Jesus
    02-23-09 11:38 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD