05-19-09 09:03 AM
63 123
tools
    i really love my blackberry curve. and i love touch screen phones. so i figure i would love the blackberry storm. but is it really worth it? people who have one let me know if it is...
    04-16-09 02:55 PM
    I like having mine, given it is a little glitchy but thats to be expected for a first touch model, you can always test one out for the normal 14 days and see if you like it, if not just take it back and pick a different phone
    04-16-09 03:17 PM
    It is if you install one of the beta OSs. The hardware is solid it is just the operating system that needs the fine tuning. There are some amazing apps and typing feels so nice!

Typing will be a little strange at first but I can crank out e-mails now.

Welcome to the flood of threads that is BlackBerry Storm
    04-16-09 03:17 PM
    Hold off till the Storm 2, the Storm has countless issues, it appears that a hardware rev is required to fix them.
    The device is extremely slow, buggy and unreliable.
    04-16-09 03:19 PM
    I love my Storm it is NOT buggy, slow nor does it have issues and I know Im not the only one out there without issues. My Storm does everything I need it to daily.

Its all about personal preference though, if you love your Curve then why change..
    04-16-09 03:25 PM
    Hold off till the Storm 2, the Storm has countless issues, it appears that a hardware rev is required to fix them.
    The device is extremely slow, buggy and unreliable.
    Ok, it's the stupidity of these uninformed posts that really irk me! My phone is neither slow, buggy, nor unreliable. I am running OS .122, and my phone is pretty much flawless! Any idea of the Storm 2's release date, genius?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-09 03:29 PM
    It was a pain with the OS that came on it. But with the upgrades, it is easily the best phone/camera/video/media/...... device I have ever owned.
    04-16-09 03:37 PM
    Ok, it's the stupidity of these uninformed posts that really irk me! My phone is neither slow, buggy, nor unreliable. I am running OS .122, and my phone is pretty much flawless! Any idea of the Storm 2's release date, genius?

I love my storm running on .122. It's great! On the .75 it sucks.

04-16-09 03:39 PM
    I love my storm! I actually did have problems with my first one. After 4 months of use the screen just died one day. Verizon replaced it under the warranty with no problem. It was inconvenient to switch phones, but I wouldnt want any other phone. If this one ended up breaking or having an issue, I would get another one in a heartbeat! me and my storm are attached at the hip. I feel lost without it.
    04-16-09 03:40 PM
    I don't think I can go back to any other device after using the storm
    04-16-09 03:40 PM
    I had a Curve for almost a year, got the Storm, had it two weeks, went back to the Curve. I would never recommend that device to anyone, though I realize there are many people who love it.
    04-16-09 03:41 PM
    I use the storm and find it reliable; no issues at all; indeed predictive text on the storm is awesome; make typing cool and fast. I recommend it.

04-16-09 03:42 PM
    i really love my blackberry curve. and i love touch screen phones. so i figure i would love the blackberry storm. but is it really worth it? people who have one let me know if it is...
    Pink, try it out, if you dont like it go back to your curve. U r the only one who can decide if you like it or not. But upgraded to .122, read the tips and trick's threads, and be patient with getting use to using it. IMO.
    04-16-09 03:42 PM
    I really enjoy mine, but I would wait till the new "official" OS comes out (always in a couple weeks lol) if I were you, unless you feel comfortable installing one of the leaks. With the stickies and all of the kind help here you should have no troubles doing so.
    04-16-09 03:56 PM
    Hi Pink, I agree with Polar try it out, you are the only one who can decide if you want the storm. As for me I had the Curve but always had a hard time with the keyboard. So I bought the storm, see if i like and I did. There is a learning curve but it is just getting used it. Now for the OS change you can do that if you wish, or you can wait for the official release if you can wait.
    04-16-09 04:08 PM
    I like mine, My Storm is my first BB. If I'm missing anything, I don't know what I'm missing. I haven't had any problems and i'm on official .75
    04-16-09 04:19 PM
    Like others have said before, it really will coke down to whether you like the phone. I suggest you go to the verizon store and play with a storm to see if you like the surepress screen. Also, you have to be ready to do soke slight modifications to your OS to upgrade up to a better OS. All the DIY procedures are easy and this site has instructions for everything you need to do.

Personally, I've had my storm since the second day of release. I bought it after reading the dismal reviews and playing with the demo at the store. Out of the box, running .65, the storm was definitely subpar. After upgrading to different OSes as they became available, performance improved drastically, and I haven't looked back since.

I am running OneOfAKindDPS' slimmed down .122 OS with original fonts installed. The programs I am running are: docstogo, nav4all, google maps, poynt, app world, crackberry apps, flight plan, parking lot, meterberry, opera mini, youtube, captureit, facebook, myspace, bbfilescout, marketsimplified, and bank of america mobile. My startup memory is roughly 47megs and it stays in the low 40's most of the time. I haven't noticed any major memory leaks with this OS although I haven't been running it that long.

The things I use my phone are: watching movies(dvds converted to mp4), browsing youtube, reading/posting on forums, text messaging, phone calls, calendar reminders, to do lists, taking pictures, checking/answering emails(I rarely use my computer for emails now), viewing/editing/creating word and excel documents, playing games to pass time, turn by turn gps navigation in my car, stock trading, bank transfers, and finding businesses/movie times wherever I happen to be.

After using my phone to do all these tasks, I am truly happy with the Storm. I can only wish the same for you.
    04-16-09 04:20 PM
    I just upgraded from the curve and I love everything about my phone

04-16-09 04:31 PM
    I love this phone also. I've had no problems with it as in hardware or the OS but I do agree that if you upgrade your OS to a leaked version like .113 it responds quicker. I did have a recent problem with the screen but they are sending me a new one. Overall its a great phone I can text send email web browse with ease. Also like one of the other members said give a try for the 30 days and if you don't like it send it back. And get another blackberry not just another phone.
    04-16-09 04:59 PM
    IMO....?

Big time... its just people are expecting this berry to be a quadcore laptop with nvidia 9800
    it just does the job and BIG TIME.. i have both the iphone 3g and BB storm... id say on all levels the storm .. bugs are found every where in all devices.. its the ride that matter where the berry stands out!
    04-16-09 05:05 PM
    The storm is an amazing phone.. it just has what i guess you could call a "learning curve" that some people cant get over.. its well worth taking the 30 days though!
    04-16-09 06:04 PM
    I went from the Curve to the Storm. I have a job that provides me with ample down time at work. This is the right time killer for me.

I loved my Curve, but my Storm is just better. I can text faster with it, it is more customizable, has a bigger screen, a slightly faster processor and mine currently sports 16 gig of memory.

There is not a useful jesus phone app that is not already available on the storm. It is surprisingly quick when surfing the web and nothing beats the gps apps.

the problems that are talked about in these forums occur variably and are mostly caused by interaction with the third party apps. that should go away with app world screening for you.

I would take the leap. My son and I have been running ours for about 6 months now and we are running different OS leaks and yet we have experienced very few of the problems people report here.

If you don't like looking at your keyboard when you text, this is not your phone. You can feel the keys on your curve, but you cannot on the storm. This is the only thing that I miss, but it doesn't detract from the rest of the Storm experience.

Good luck with your decision.
    04-16-09 06:27 PM
    Just look at this forum, nothing but:
    VERIZON UPDATE THIS MONDAY!!!!!!!!
    new hybrid os, everything runs fast as **** now!!!!!
    RIM's current build is in the .15x!!!!
    new leak today!!!!!! everything runs fast as ****, the phone is an iPhone killer now!!!!!!

Would people really be clamoring for an update if things worked as they should? People bought the Storm because what it was supposed to be, not what it is.
    04-16-09 06:43 PM
    I LOVE my storm, some of the software can be a bit buggy yes, but once you find what works for you it's very much worth it.
    I am running 9530 .122/5.0.0.90[9000] Hybrid at the moment and am happy.
    04-16-09 06:52 PM
    I think so and just went past my return date.

I work with a lot of phones because I'm a sys admin and they all have good and bad aspects.

I like the big screen combined with RIM's push technology and Verizon network.
    04-16-09 08:32 PM
63 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD