Blackberry Storm 2 = BB Storm was not good?

I know the logic is that new (does not equal) old was bad

But in this case don't you have a good feeling that RIM is trying to get away from the Storm as fast as they can? As the Storm may cost them much more in the long run?

What do you think? I know they need new products.. But this is just ridiculous.
    06-14-09 11:42 AM
    Just out of curiosity, was it ridiculous when the iPhone 3G was released a year after the original? Did that mean the first one was bad?

Its all irrelevant anyways. What matters is if the individual user thinks its good, not what RIM thinks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-09 12:02 PM
    I've come up with a theory to this very question. You are on the right track in a sense though.

I wrote about this in the Storm 2 forums as well.

The Storm2 is actually the device that was supposed to be released.

The loose conversation goes something like this: VZW calls up RIM tells them to get the Storm out now. RIM tells them to wait they have a much better model they are working on and its almost complete.

VZW balks and says No give us what you got now. They halt development on the Storm1 and the rest is history.

If you look at the launch and the device itself (from OS to hardware meaning screens, buttons etc) there's no denying it was rushed. It functioned like a development device. I don't want to beat a dead horse but I have to point that out because it is relavent.

RIM simply does not put out garbage like the Storm. They were forced to release a device that was never intended to end up in consumers hands.

So there you have it. Storm2 is the actual device that was supposed to be released. Storm3 is actually Storm2 : ) (already rumors of "Storm3")

Make sense?

06-14-09 12:15 PM
    I've come up with a theory to this very question. You are on the right track in a sense though.

I wrote about this in the Storm 2 forums as well.

The Storm2 is actually the device that was supposed to be released.

The loose conversation goes something like this: VZW calls up RIM tells them to get the Storm out now. RIM tells them to wait they have a much better model they are working on and its almost complete.

VZW balks and says No give us what you got now. They halt development on the Storm1 and the rest is history.

If you look at the launch and the device itself (from OS to hardware meaning screens, buttons etc) there's no denying it was rushed. It functioned like a development device. I don't want to beat a dead horse but I have to point that out because it is relavent.

RIM simply does not put out garbage like the Storm. They were forced to release a device that was never intended to end up in consumers hands.

So there you have it. Storm2 is the actual device that was supposed to be released. Storm3 is actually Storm2 : ) (already rumors of "Storm3")

Make sense?

I actually agree with this somewhat. there is no doubt VZW shot themselves by wanting this released when it was. A little more time and the device would have launched with a much better OS and probably hardware too
    06-14-09 12:23 PM
    I believe the response CK got was from CX saying that you can believe in conspiracies but you'd still be wrong. I feel that wifi should have been there along with more memory.

06-14-09 12:47 PM
    Let me add something else. The Storm 2 is not coming out until around Nov. A full years time just like the iphone. The smartphone market is turning into the PC market pumping out powerful new hardware all the time. If the Pre takes off like I hope they'll follow suit with a revision next year if they have money

06-14-09 12:58 PM
    If the Storm 2 is released, under whatever name RIM ultimately gives it, I'll be there! VIP status on Verizon let's me upgrade yearly. I'm addicted to new devices...

06-14-09 02:52 PM
    storm storm2, iphone, iphone3g, iphone3gs, there will always be new hardware iterations. And the distance between iterations is getting smaller and smaller.
    06-14-09 05:53 PM
    This is nothing more than the nature of technology. It improves upon itself continually. Look at PC's. There a newer, faster models coming out every 6 months. It doesn't mean you got ripped off because a better one came out after you bought yours. It's just means that the constant cycle of growth is continuing. Some call it progress.

Grey
    06-14-09 06:30 PM
    You make it sound like Storm 2 is some sort of revolutionary change or something when it's really just evolution of a product. So, they took away the hard keys, improved on the SurePress, and added WiFi (we think). You can pretty much bet that Storm 1 and Storm 2 will be virtually the same in operation and have the same list of problems since almost ALL the issues were OS related and both phones will probably share the same OS even when the new one comes out. The changes are almost purely cosmetic except for the WiFi (again, not confirmed) and whatever changes they made to SurePress.

Basically, if you don't like the current one you're probably not going to like the new one and MOST improvements to the new one will apply to the old one. Now, if RIM had gone completely back to the drawing board, then maybe your theory would apply, but they didn't...they are simply moving the platform forward and a year to make a few small changes is not a bit deal. I bet they've already got the third version in the works...maybe even the fourth.
    06-14-09 09:25 PM
    Let me add something else. The Storm 2 is not coming out until around Nov. A full years time just like the iphone. The smartphone market is turning into the PC market pumping out powerful new hardware all the time. If the Pre takes off like I hope they'll follow suit with a revision next year if they have money

Palm initially went down the tubes because they *stopped* pumping out spiffy new kinds of hardware every year. They went from having a wide selection of non-cellular PDAs to having 1 or 2 treos available at any given time.

Rather depressing, IMO.

If Palm DOESN'T dish out more like the Pre, I'd be worried.

Anywho, yes. The Storm 2 would be a natural evolution of a PDA device. This is not only common, but expected.
    06-14-09 10:56 PM
    If the Storm 2 is released, under whatever name RIM ultimately gives it, I'll be there! VIP status on Verizon let's me upgrade yearly. I'm addicted to new devices...

Tell me more about this VIP status... how do I obtain? ; )
    06-14-09 11:11 PM
    Tell me more about this VIP status... how do I obtain? ; )
    The easiest way is to have a base plan of $79.99 or higher. Base as in before any extras like data or text messaging. There is another way, but it escapes my mind at the moment. Maybe someone else can fill it in.

With my corporate discount, the $99 / month business plan ends up being about $85 a month. It's unlimited data and text and 450 minutes a month. Turns out that if I added unlimited data and BIS to my regular 450 minutes / month plan, it would be much more expensive than the business plan.

I believe the VIP benefits are that you can upgrade every year for $50 off the promotional price or $100 off if you wait the full 2 years. Of course, a new 2 year agreement is required.
    06-15-09 06:57 AM
    The easiest way is to have a base plan of $79.99 or higher. Base as in before any extras like data or text messaging. There is another way, but it escapes my mind at the moment. Maybe someone else can fill it in.

With my corporate discount, the $99 / month business plan ends up being about $85 a month. It's unlimited data and text and 450 minutes a month. Turns out that if I added unlimited data and BIS to my regular 450 minutes / month plan, it would be much more expensive than the business plan.

I believe the VIP benefits are that you can upgrade every year for $50 off the promotional price or $100 off if you wait the full 2 years. Of course, a new 2 year agreement is required.
    There's also the stipulation of never being late on a payment.
    06-15-09 07:34 AM
    Blackberry Storm 2 = BB Storm was not good

We have a math major in the house....
    06-15-09 07:49 AM
    Where can I sing up for this? Online or over the phone?
    Do you mean the $99.99 business plan? You can do it over the phone or online or in person.

This is worth it to me only because I have a discount from my company.

Normal Plan
    $450 minutes / month = $39.99
    BIS (required for BlackBerry) = $34.99
    Unlimited text = $20
    Price = $94.98 before taxes and fees

My Plan
    450 minutes business plan = $99.99
    Company discount = 21%
    Price = 78.99 before taxes and fees

And I get the bonus of VIP status since I'm on a base plan that's $79.99 and up. The status is determined for the base plan before any discounts.
    06-15-09 04:15 PM
    No, I meant the VIP status I have a family plan and there's two Berries on it so that about $70 in internet and my plan for 500 shared minutes is about $70 so I should be eligible so I was asking where do I sign up?
    It's not something you "sign up for", per say. VIP status only looks at the cost of the voice plan, not any extras that are on top of it (data, texts, VZ Nav, etc.). Your base plan is only $70, so it's $9.99 short of VIP status.

My business plan includes BIS and unlimited texts, not as extras like you have. That's why I get VIP.

If you up your Family Plan to something $79.99 or higher for the voice, then you'll be automatically counted as a VIP.
    06-15-09 05:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD