BlackBerry Sales Rose, While iPhone Sales Dropped in Q4 2008

Quick and Dirty Summary = U.S. sales of Apple's iPhone, which rose dramatically in the third quarter of this year, dropped significantly in the fourth quarter. At the same time, sales of BlackBerrys increased to the point where RIM has more than double Apple's share of this market.

Before celebration breaks out, it's worth noting that Blackberry debuted the Bold, the Storm, and the Pearl Flip during this time period. Apple, of course, still has the iPhone 3G from last summer.

Should provide for an interesting summer when the next iPhone is (supposedly) up to bat
    02-21-09 04:18 PM
    BlackBerry Sales Rose, While iPhone Sales Dropped in Q4 2008

Quick and Dirty Summary = U.S. sales of Apple's iPhone, which rose dramatically in the third quarter of this year, dropped significantly in the fourth quarter. At the same time, sales of BlackBerrys increased to the point where RIM has more than double Apple's share of this market.

Before celebration breaks out, it's worth noting that Blackberry debuted the Bold, the Storm, and the Pearl Flip during this time period. Apple, of course, still has the iPhone 3G from last summer.

Should provide for an interesting summer when the next iPhone is (supposedly) up to bat
    I came across this earlier...interesting to say the least. Suprised non of the Apple fanbois or storm haters have flocked in here to start slinging mud...the forum is oddly quiet tonight!!
    02-21-09 11:02 PM
    But yet rimm stock has/is falling dramatically. They even said they weren't going to reach their quota for the year.or something like that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-09 12:02 AM
    I came across this earlier...interesting to say the least. Suprised non of the Apple fanbois or storm haters have flocked in here to start slinging mud...the forum is oddly quiet tonight!!
    interesting? Huh? sling mud? Its like having a heat wave and somebody reports there was an increase in energy use.

02-22-09 01:45 AM
    interesting? Huh? sling mud? Its like having a heat wave and somebody reports there was an increase in energy use.

Did you use your last 2 neurons to come up with such a witty analogy that serves no point

I see you've calmed down on your anti-storm rhetoric lately..must be why the rants/raves section has slowed down. Guess even stoners get tired of wasting time at some point.
    02-22-09 01:53 AM
    Hawse I'm curious what you found so interesting about that article? Do you find the completely obvious interesting : )

Answer please..........

02-22-09 12:52 PM
    Nothing to kill off the forum like good news
    02-22-09 01:10 PM
    Hawse I'm curious what you found so interesting about that article? Do you find the completely obvious interesting : )

Answer please..........

I will answer it with a question (you know like you ALWAYS do). Do you not remember how often you used to blast RIM for the failure that is the storm and how it was a flop...is it not interesting that you were completely wrong as usual and their sales are up while apples are down (hence they achieved what they wanted?). All of your vast predictions about the storms success have been wrong so far...just like how you used to go on and on about how it couldn't possibly cost more then $100 to make blah blah, epic failure, being returned in massive droves blah blah...

Carry on, or dissappear to another thread..dont care which one honestly
    02-22-09 01:14 PM
    But yet rimm stock has/is falling dramatically. They even said they weren't going to reach their quota for the year.or something like that.

If you look around, you'll find RIM isn't the only company to suffer that. It tends to be a universal thing in a recession.
    02-22-09 01:17 PM
    If you look around, you'll find RIM isn't the only company to suffer that. It tends to be a universal thing in a recession.
    The massive scandal didn't help either lol...gotta love shady execs..if gov'ts would crack down on top execs for stuff like this it wouldn't happen so much. Throw them away and lock up the key, look how much money they costed people. Pretend they owed millions to the govt in taxes instead of fines...there would be a much different tone
    02-22-09 01:20 PM
    Hawse RIM released how many new phones in that quarter? Tick tock tick tock.... Correct 3! Good job. Ok onto the next question. Apple released what during that time? Clock is ticking.....come on I know you know this one. Zero. Yes that correct!!! Fantastic Hawse. Your good....

Now the final question. Given that real life scenario what should happen? Sales would be up? YES!!! Hawse just figured out Blues Clues!!!!! : )

Great job.

Do you know what the total cost of hardware is for the Storm? $28.00 so do the math on that one. No Blues Clues for you.

02-22-09 02:05 PM
    Hawse RIM released how many new phones in that quarter? Tick tock tick tock.... Correct 3! Good job. Ok onto the next question. Apple released what during that time? Clock is ticking.....come on I know you know this one. Zero. Yes that correct!!! Fantastic Hawse. Your good....

Now the final question. Given that real life scenario what should happen? Sales would be up? YES!!! Hawse just figured out Blues Clues!!!!! : )

Great job.

Do you know what the total cost of hardware is for the Storm? $28.00 so do the math on that one. No Blues Clues for you.

LMAO you're an *****. Does it matter how many phones a company released..whose fault is that? So should RIM only release 1 phone so its fair for Apple?

Heres a quiz...which phone has been selling faster storm, bold, or pearl fip? TICK TOCK TICK TOCK you need to look no further then crackberry to figure this out chump..gtfo with blues clues.

Also WHERE did you come up with $28 for the total cost of hardware for the storm..lmao please dont tell me that git from the other thread who started making up numbers based off of a million being ordered..RIM did not order a million of any part for the storm at once (probably not even screws). You know jack squat about manufacturing. It wouldn't matter if the hardware costs for a storm were $1 if it took 200 to put it together the cost of making that storm is now 201.

I can buy the parts to build a fence for $1000, but how much do you think it costs to put it up since it wont build itself genius..

The more you talk the more I believe you aren't even out of highschool or atleast education wise are on par with a highschooler.

Seriously...prove how you get $28 for the cost of a Storm or STFU..the chip alone costs more then that
    02-22-09 02:14 PM
    Here you go chumpalicious

"BOMs away
    The $202.89 BOM/manufacturing cost of the Blackberry Storm 9530 consists of $186 for components and other materials, and $16.07 for manufacturing. This total is about $27 more expensive than the Bold, another smart phone model from RIM, based on pricing from October 2008, according to iSuppli’s Teardown Analysis Service. The cost differential is mainly accounted for by the touchscreen and its supporting electronics, according to Francis Sideco, senior analyst, wireless communications, for iSuppli."

What else you got for me wonder boy? The 202.89 price EXCLUDES such things as IP, licensing, shipping, royalties, software...yada yada. Go hit the bong and think of something else to argue about because anyone who thinks the cost of parts for the storm = 28 is a moron.

edit: to help you further in finding the truth, google "manufacturing cost of g1" and "manufacturing cost of iphone 3g" to get an idea of how much things cost in the real world. The display of the g1 is almost $20 alone, camera is like $12 and the display/camera on the storm are better then the g1 so already were at $32 let alone GPS, Radio, Chip, glass, case, etc etc..i can keep going if you want me to really stomp your theory in the ground
    Last edited by Hawse771; 02-22-09 at 02:28 PM.
    02-22-09 02:21 PM
    Its $28.... Cost of hardware alone.

02-22-09 02:31 PM
    this is good news
    02-22-09 02:32 PM
    Its $28.... Cost of hardware alone.

And your source...since you NEVER back up anything you say.

I've posted things to say otherwise. Clearly cost of materials/components was a lot higher then 28 based off the company that does this for a living and breaks down other phones (g1/iphone) for analysis. They even broke it down into manufacturing & materials/components so you could easily understand
    02-22-09 02:41 PM
    And your source...since you NEVER back up anything you say.

I've posted things to say otherwise. Clearly cost of materials/components was a lot higher then 28 based off the company that does this for a living and breaks down other phones (g1/iphone) for analysis. They even broke it down into manufacturing & materials/components so you could easily understand
    You can choose to believe the phone costs $200.00 to manufacture. I won't try and change your mind. I'm just telling you it comes no where near that.

$28.00 and assembled in Mexico. Where we all know what they pay those poor (no pun intended) folks for labor.

Why do you think there is all these problems with the Storm? Great build quality/awesome QC?

Come on Hawse its not hard to put 2 and 2 together. Not to mention the clowns that run the company. You think RIM is losing money on these things you're sorely mistaken : )

Last edited by cereal killer; 02-22-09 at 03:17 PM.
    02-22-09 03:14 PM
    Is this partly due to anticipation of iphone #3 due out this year, so people holding off?
    There was news a few weeks back of Apple losing share everywhere. If so, I wonder why - can't just be Jobs's health issues?

02-22-09 04:07 PM
    Is this partly due to anticipation of iphone #3 due out this year, so people holding off?

I would say its safe to assume that.

02-22-09 04:20 PM
    where does this $28 per a storm come from?

ck - nice to see you still really really care about us storm owners. you know you must have more posts in the storm forum than any non-storm owner right?
    02-22-09 04:45 PM
    this is good news
    yes it is 10char
    02-22-09 05:54 PM
    where does this $28 per a storm come from?

ck - nice to see you still really really care about us storm owners. you know you must have more posts in the storm forum than any non-storm owner right?
    This is his source http://forums.crackberry.com/f133/ri...ml#post1706693

Some guy who claims to know the cost because a friend or some bs has seen a price list for the storm materials lol. It's pathetic. Last time CK took some random guys word for gospel on this forum he ended up being a liar who didn't even work for VZW anymore lol.

It gets funnier everyday because CK actually believes the crap he spews even though he has no evidence. Point is if you cant build a G1 for $28 you certainly can't build a storm for $28...you cant build a bold for $28 either. ALL of these phones listed cost more then $140 and this is MATERIALS/COMPONENTS only this is NOT manufacturing cost. CK has smoked himself ******** and can't even comprehend the breakdown i gave his dense a$$ that showed how much was manufacturing cost (IE LABOR) and how much was materials. He also fails to realize they are made in both canada and mexico so he's a moron for only mentioning mexico.

/topic
    02-22-09 05:55 PM
    02-22-09 05:57 PM
    Here's another that explains why it costs more than the iphone

BlackBerry Storm parts pricier than iPhone's | Wireless - CNET News

Among the main reasons are the expensive Qualcomm chipset that enables it to do both CDMA and GSM at $35 a pop.

it also apparently has more parts than an iphone and more mechanical parts as well.

"According to the research firm, the Storm's total component count is 1,177, of which 151 are mechanical in nature. The iPhone 3G includes 1,116 components"

edit: according to CK's cloudy knowledge, if the storm is $28 in materials..whats the iphone $25 lol as if thats possible
    02-22-09 06:11 PM
    You can choose to believe the phone costs $200.00 to manufacture. I won't try and change your mind. I'm just telling you it comes no where near that.

$28.00 and assembled in Mexico. Where we all know what they pay those poor (no pun intended) folks for labor.

Why do you think there is all these problems with the Storm? Great build quality/awesome QC?

Come on Hawse its not hard to put 2 and 2 together. Not to mention the clowns that run the company. You think RIM is losing money on these things you're sorely mistaken : )

Put up a link to your numbers, or STFU...I believe that you're just pulling numbers out of your rear like normal...you never have anything to back up what you say, once you show proof I will agree with you, but I doubt that'll ever happen!
    02-22-09 06:13 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD