Well, first of all id like to introduce myself. Im sriyegna... and ive been a storm user for about a year now. ive had some issues which im assuming is from the condition i keep my phone in (not good)...

Anyways, my current firmware is 5.0.0.320 and simply put, i would like to update it. Now heres the issue, the current cell phone provider im on is FIDO, which is a canadian provider. They do NOT sell the blackberry storm (or any 3g blackberry). I got this phone off ebay unlocked and it originally came from the verizon network. i DO NOT have a verizon sim card so i need to update my storm and still have it unlocked to my fido network.

Is that possible? if so, i thank you for all your help!

Thanks
    07-17-10 02:07 PM
    Yes you can update it. I am almost certain that once a blackberry is unlocked it can not be locked again by just updating the os. However I could be wrong. If I am wrong someone will correct me. Do you know how to upgrade the os? If not or if this is your first time you may want to take a look at this article.http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101...ting-system-os Hope this helps. Take care.
    07-17-10 02:24 PM
    Thanks alot fathom! the thread will help me when updating, however im still waiting for a sure fire response that it wont lock the blackberry because i cant really take any risks :P. Because the iOS locks when you update :S im not sure about BB though
    07-17-10 02:26 PM
    Actually after I posted my response I came across this question and found out that it will not lock after an update. http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=464844
    07-17-10 02:28 PM
    Upgrading the OS will not ''re-lock'' your BB. Once a BlackBerry is unlocked, it is unlocked forever, even after upgrading and Wiping.
    07-17-10 02:34 PM
    The part of memory that locks/unlocks and holds branding/IMEI/PIN/boot ROM etc. is in a completely different area from where you update the firmware.

Hence why, if you wipe the handset or corrupt the operating system, it is so easy to recover.

Similar to a PC, scrubbing the HDD will have no affect on the CMOS/BIOS.
    07-17-10 03:04 PM
    Awesome! upgrading atm thanks alot for your help!
    07-17-10 03:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD