Did anyone else just get a notice from BlackBerry about new device software being available?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-20-10 04:18 PM
    Did anyone else just get a notice from BlackBerry about new device software being available?

Yup. just got it. checked for an update OTA but nothing. maybe its only being delivered through DM?? will check when i get back to my pc.
    04-20-10 04:20 PM
    Yup I got it too. No OTA for me either but I'm not running the official so it wouldn't update for me OTA anyway

04-20-10 04:28 PM
    I got this just now too. is this for real? or just an update of the DM? or actually for the phone? .607 was garbage, so.... what's this about?
    04-20-10 04:28 PM
    I just got the same thing... I connected to my DM and nothing...

Date: April 20, 2010 2:15:08 PM MST
    To: rynoondew
    Subject: A new software update is available for your BlackBerry smartphone.
    Reply-To: [email protected]

BlackBerry Software Update Notification

Update Today!

----------------------------------------------------

What else can your BlackBerry� smartphone do for you?

Find out when you update to the latest smartphone software! This free update is ready and waiting to help you do more with your BlackBerry smartphone. To update today visit BlackBerry - Update your Device Software

New ways to work and play!

* An update of BlackBerry� Device Software version 5.0 is available. This update includes optimizations and enhancements approved by your wireless service provider.
    Note: If your device is associated with an email account that uses a BlackBerry� Enterprise Server, contact your administrator for more information about updating..

Get the most advanced BlackBerry Device Software to keep your BlackBerry smartphone performing at its best. To update now visit BlackBerry - Update your Device Software

Recently changed your BlackBerry smartphone? If you are viewing this message from your BlackBerry browser, you can automatically update your device information when you visit https://ufs.websl.blackberry.com/ufs/update.jsp?

Research In Motion
    Last edited by rynoondew; 04-20-10 at 04:32 PM. Reason: included message
    04-20-10 04:30 PM
    Keep in mind if you signed up to receive updates from RIM when new software was available, you would get emails like this.

When Telus made .122 official last year, I got an email a month later advising me of the "new software"

Provide a version number from the email, and we can confirm.
    04-20-10 04:31 PM
    Keep in mind if you signed up to receive updates from RIM when new software was available, you would get emails like this.

When Telus made .122 official last year, I got an email a month later advising me of the "new software"

Provide a version number from the email, and we can confirm.
    You might be right, this is the first notice I received for an update. its probably for the Verizon 607. LOL
    04-20-10 04:34 PM
    these notifications are pin based...at least i think they are. So, because our pins are registered with a specific carrier...wouldn't we only get these emails when new software for our carrier is available?
    You might be right, this is the first notice I received for an update. its probably for the Verizon 607. LOL
    i also received one the day .607 was pushed.
    I received one also that day. I connected to DM and found Core updates that I am installing now...I don't believe I ever received a notice for core updates before though...wierd
    04-20-10 04:37 PM
    these notifications are pin based...at least i think they are. So, because our pins are registered with a specific carrier...wouldn't we only get these emails when new software for our carrier is available?
    I am not 100% clear as to the method used by RIM to determine that, but if you look at the OP, he has a 9550 on VZW, which just released 607 not long ago.

These emails are always "delayed", respective to our view here, because we get our news straight from CB the moment something drops. Someone not "wired in" here wouldn't know that the notification email they just got was old news to us, because it was new to them.
    04-20-10 04:38 PM
    I didn't get anything

04-20-10 04:39 PM
    I received one also that day. I connected to DM and found Core updates that I am installing now...I don't believe I ever received a notice for core updates before though...wierd
    The "core update" will happen randomly when DM scans your BB software. It does not necessarily mean new software has been pushed.
    04-20-10 04:40 PM
    I just got the same email. Figured I would check here to find out what's going on.

04-20-10 04:46 PM
    I am not 100% clear as to the method used by RIM to determine that, but if you look at the OP, he has a 9550 on VZW, which just released 607 not long ago.

These emails are always "delayed", respective to our view here, because we get our news straight from CB the moment something drops. Someone not "wired in" here wouldn't know that the notification email they just got was old news to us, because it was new to them.

I am running .607 and received the same type of email from RIM the first day .607 was available as well as the OTA from Verizon..I just received the new email about 20 minutes ago..and it appears from the postings I am not the only one
    04-20-10 04:46 PM
    607 is still the latest available from VZW for the 9550.
    04-20-10 04:51 PM
    i never did get my email for my 607 upgrade yet. Its hit and miss
    04-20-10 04:51 PM
    damn and here I was hoping they were pulling a Platform update like they did for the Tour
    04-20-10 04:54 PM
    I received the message the day .607 dropped as well so maybe it is a platform update like the tour got???
    04-20-10 04:59 PM
    just plugged into DM and got the core updates too. the odd thing is that the core updates actually made my Storm2 reboot. Usually it just acts like it is syncing with my outlook...
    04-20-10 05:03 PM
    can core updates ever be available OTA or are they always with DM
    04-20-10 05:08 PM
    the core update is a glitch using the same files that are already part of the OS you are running. It happens if you shrink the OS too sometimes because it doesnt see the files on your phone but they are part of the OS
    04-20-10 05:25 PM
    it is on my BB device but am not using the 5.0 shows both
    04-20-10 05:34 PM
    I just got the email also. So I plugged my phone into DM and got the following screen on App Loader.

5.0.0.607 (Preferred)
    5.0.0.607 (Downgrade)
    5.0.0.320 (Downgrade)

Not sure If that just means its a glitch or if something really has changed. I can add a screen shot soon, But having some difficulty getting it so its postable. Don't do it too often.

Edit** I'm dumb, I forgot I put Tanks Hybrid on the phone, that might explain why I am getting some of this.
    04-20-10 05:35 PM
    I just got the email also. So I plugged my phone into DM and got the following screen on App Loader.

5.0.0.607 (Preferred)
    5.0.0.607 (Downgrade)
    5.0.0.320 (Downgrade)

Not sure If that just means its a glitch or if something really has changed. I can add a screen shot soon, But having some difficulty getting it so its postable. Don't do it too often.

Edit** I'm dumb, I forgot I put Tanks Hybrid on the phone, that might explain why I am getting some of this.
    You have .607 installed on your computer.
    04-20-10 05:46 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD