Not putting my blackberry down by anymeans. I'm in Europe for 5 weeks vacation and the hot topic with smart phone users is the iphone and droid phones. I feel out of place. BUT......it works flawless and very happy with it and no complains. I'm connected half way around the world and couldn't be happier. If droids were a world phone I probably switch. It is that much better and I don't care what blackberry fans say. They have a lot of catching up to do. I'm just seeing what I see that's all.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-10 02:26 PM
    Trends and silliness. What works for you works for you.
    It seems Blackberry is only a "hot topic" whenever you want to slam it or talk about how far behind it is or whatever. Every article I have read about a new device or the platform etc. has had some ridiculous slam against the BB in it.
    07-21-10 02:40 PM
    Not putting my blackberry down by anymeans. I'm in Europe for 5 weeks vacation and the hot topic with smart phone users is the iphone and droid phones. I feel out of place. BUT......it works flawless and very happy with it and no complains. I'm connected half way around the world and couldn't be happier. If droids were a world phone I probably switch. It is that much better and I don't care what blackberry fans say. They have a lot of catching up to do. I'm just seeing what I see that's all.

If you feel out of place, you have issues with peer dependency. Perhaps you simply need to buy the phone du jour to improve your self image.
    07-21-10 02:40 PM

Buying something because it's a "hot topic" usually leaves you with something that just doesn't quite....

And something else is going to be the "hot topic" tomorrow. That can be pretty expensive. I suppose if money is no object, that works. But unfortunately, I'm not a trust fund baby and have to work myself.
    07-21-10 03:06 PM
    Blackberry needs to push the carriers to allow less expensive data plans to run Blackberries. They obviously use less. If I could get a data plan at $10-15 I'd keep the Blackberry.
    Or, on the other hand maybe the carriers should charge a premium on the phones that use a ton of data and leave the rest of us alone.
    If people want to pay for all that data, let them get a data hog but charge the rest of us less!
    07-21-10 03:23 PM
    Blackberry needs to push the carriers to allow less expensive data plans to run Blackberries. They obviously use less. If I could get a data plan at $10-15 I'd keep the Blackberry.
    Or, on the other hand maybe the carriers should charge a premium on the phones that use a ton of data and leave the rest of us alone.
    If people want to pay for all that data, let them get a data hog but charge the rest of us less!
    Tiered data packages will take care of this, wont it? It looks like some carriers are moving in this direction.
    07-21-10 03:30 PM
    sadly, from the place i am. some pp don't even know what is a bb. wahahha. bb got no value simply because you must have BIS in order to bring out its power!

Btw, I am a storm2 lover.

I saw in engaget? are they going to cap data usage at a price for all data plans?
    07-21-10 03:32 PM
    2 million CB members say otherwise.
    07-21-10 03:32 PM
    I knew I will get some nasty replies. I couldn't give two flips for this phone. And I don't have an image problem. I have more important things to worry about. Its cool to have crackberry to express what I feel whenever I like. I'm just saying that's all. So just CHILL! Peace!!!!

07-21-10 03:34 PM
    I'd say it's still rather popular. Not just with your casual user as they still tend to associate Blackberry with business.

We'll see how RIM advertises OS6 to the masses once its released.
    07-21-10 03:38 PM
    Seriously speaking, some pp don't even know storm2 exist! Aint bb suppose to have those qwerty keyboard? (-_-")
    07-21-10 03:56 PM
    Blackberries are to smartphones what the Atari and Commodore 64 is to personal computing. Once household names and cutting edge products, now just dusty icons of a bygone era. RIM isn't even trying to compete anymore. It is the only rational explanation for their lack of response to a market that is now dynamic and fast-paced. Droids are right around the corner that have 2 gig cpu's for pete's sake. To not accept that they are simply complacent and ambivalent to their perdicament is to believe all of rim's top decision makers live in a dark cave three miles underground with no contact with the outside world.

RIM is still in #1 place you say? have you seen the latest data on the trends in market share and what all the tech analysts are saying?

Slider you say? Storm 3? Tablet? That "magnificent" gap-filling OS 6? Webkit browser? and just where are all these promised wonderful fairy tales? Last word on them was sometime in 2011 when they will already be out of date and passed up (again) by the competition.

RIM, at best, is working tomorrow to deliver devices that compete with products that were put out yesterday.

Oh, blackberries work, so don't complain? So do some commodore 64's and atari pc"s out there (tho back then they were called home computers or micro computers). Why doesn't anybody use, build or sell those anymore?

Yea. BB is not hot anymore and everybody knows it but them.

07-21-10 04:14 PM
    Seriously, this is silly and it has been proven to be just that time and time again. The ONLY serious thing lacking in the current BB devices is a blazing fast browsing experience (a Webkit based browser if you will). If that exists in the current BB devices, they will not appear as outdated as you make them out to be.

The GUI of iOS and various flavors of Android are definitely the most sexy and they are very appealing but they serve different purpose than the BB OS targets. You better believe that BB just works!!!. It does!!! Tested and tried. As a business user, how can I justify having a device that loses reception all the time or one whose security is in serious question? This has nothing to do with having a sexy GUI. It is practical. If you want to deliver good service with your mobile device consistently, you have to look at a BB. There is no if or but about that.

That said, I am sure RIM knows that the other platforms are making inroads into their stronghold (business users). They are not their yet. There are still lots of security issues iOS and Android has to deal with. RIM's best strategy is simply to offer an improved UI which they are obviously working on (whether you believe it or not).

Blackberries are to smartphones what the Atari and Commodore 64 is to personal computing. Once household names and cutting edge products, now just dusty icons of a bygone era. RIM isn't even trying to compete anymore. It is the only rational explanation for their lack of response to a market that is now dynamic and fast-paced. Droids are right around the corner that have 2 gig cpu's for pete's sake. To not accept that they are simply complacent and ambivalent to their perdicament is to believe all of rim's top decision makers live in a dark cave three miles underground with no contact with the outside world.

RIM is still in #1 place you say? have you seen the latest data on the trends in market share and what all the tech analysts are saying?

Slider you say? Storm 3? Tablet? That "magnificent" gap-filling OS 6? Webkit browser? and just where are all these promised wonderful fairy tales? Last word on them was sometime in 2011 when they will already be out of date and passed up (again) by the competition.

RIM, at best, is working tomorrow to deliver devices that compete with products that were put out yesterday.

Oh, blackberries work, so don't complain? So do some commodore 64's and atari pc"s out there (tho back then they were called home computers or micro computers). Why doesn't anybody use, build or sell those anymore?

Yea. BB is not hot anymore and everybody knows it but them.

07-21-10 05:06 PM
    Seriously, this is silly and it has been proven to be just that time and time again. The ONLY serious thing lacking in the current BB devices is a blazing fast browsing experience (a Webkit based browser if you will). If that exists in the current BB devices, they will not appear as outdated as you make them out to be.
    That and real memory (the competition is up to 512 megabytes ram right now , not in future upcoming devices next year...) and also real processing power. What do the rim products now top out at? 528 Mhz? 600? 1 gig snap dragons and equivalent are loaded into the competition. Right now. in products right now on the shelf. Not by the end of this year, not by early 2011, etc. NOW.

Rumors abound, credible ones, that the next droid coming out by the end of August will have a 2 gig cpu. Yea yea yea, "that wil kill the battery" Whatever.

So, just a browser issue you say? Heh, okay.....
    07-21-10 05:36 PM
    Those specs sound good on paper but it not necessarily meaningful for daily use. Do you know that so far Apple has not officially disclosed the speed of the processor in iPhone 4? The reason is solely based on the fact that it is not so good on paper as those you sighted. My point here is that the processor speed on paper does not mean much. For instance, HTC Hero has a processor speed greater than 600mHz and runs Android OS 2.1 but it will not hold a candle to Storm 2. Processor speed or the RAM space is not all that important when you compare devices running different OSes.
    Again, if Storm 2 has a Webkit browser, we will not be having this discussion period.

That and real memory (the competition is up to 512 megabytes ram right now , not in future upcoming devices next year...) and also real processing power. What do the rim products now top out at? 528 Mhz? 600? 1 gig snap dragons and equivalent are loaded into the competition. Right now. in products right now on the shelf. Not by the end of this year, not by early 2011, etc. NOW.

Rumors abound, credible ones, that the next droid coming out by the end of August will have a 2 gig cpu. Yea yea yea, "that wil kill the battery" Whatever.

So, just a browser issue you say? Heh, okay.....
    07-21-10 06:10 PM
    Those specs sound good on paper but it not necessarily meaningful for daily use. Do you know that so far Apple has not officially disclosed the speed of the processor in iPhone 4? The reason is solely based on the fact that it is not so good on paper as those you sighted. My point here is that the processor speed on paper does not mean much. For instance, HTC Hero has a processor speed greater than 600mHz and runs Android OS 2.1 but it will not hold a candle to Storm 2. Processor speed or the RAM space is not all that important when you compare devices running different OSes.
    Again, if Storm 2 has a Webkit browser, we will not be having this discussion period.
    The 528 MHz cpu is laggy, what makes you think a different browser is going to help? Your trying to fix the problem from the wrong end of the horse. You can put a different paint job on a car all you want but the only thing that will make it faster is a better engine.

Some people even have keyboards lagging on them. Wtf....

07-21-10 06:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD