Hello Everyone,

I'm a first time poster and have searched the forums but was not successful.

I am currently on ATT and recently purchased a BB Storm, Unlocked and loaded with ATT Service books already installed. I am trying to add the blackberry data plan on my account but they won't add it on. When they asked for an IMEI number I provided them with the Storm's IMEI and they stated they cannot add it on there. Can I just add my friends IMEI number to my account and add the plan?

Is there anything else I need to do?
    Do I have to register my phone through att.blackberry.com

Also whenever I call the guy I bought the phone off of it takes me straight to my voicemail. On the top of the screen when making a call where it says My Number it has his number. Is there a way to switch it? I found some threads on here but nothing worked. Any suggestions?

I really appreciate everyone's help!

Thank you

Chad
    05-28-09 09:51 PM
    You should be able to use your friend's IMEI, but I'm not sure what that would do to their phone and their account.

If you want to use email, which I'm sure you do, you'd need to make an account at att.blackberry.com. You can also do this by going to Personal Email Setup on the device itself.

To switch it to your number, dial ##000000. Where it says Mobile Directory Number change it to your phone number. Press the BB button, select save and let the phone reboot.
    05-28-09 09:57 PM
    Hello Everyone,

I'm a first time poster and have searched the forums but was not successful.

I am currently on ATT and recently purchased a BB Storm, Unlocked and loaded with ATT Service books already installed. I am trying to add the blackberry data plan on my account but they won't add it on. When they asked for an IMEI number I provided them with the Storm's IMEI and they stated they cannot add it on there. Can I just add my friends IMEI number to my account and add the plan?

Is there anything else I need to do?
    Do I have to register my phone through att.blackberry.com

Also whenever I call the guy I bought the phone off of it takes me straight to my voicemail. On the top of the screen when making a call where it says My Number it has his number. Is there a way to switch it? I found some threads on here but nothing worked. Any suggestions?

I really appreciate everyone's help!

Thank you

Chad

You're asking all the right questions: here are some answers.

First of all, you cannot take the IMEI from your friend to add the blackberry plan to your account...it's not as simple as that.

If your phone is unlocked from verizon, which I'm sure it is, it had to have been activated by verizon beforehand.

What I'm seeing from your questions is that the person you bought it from hasn't released the PIN from verizon.

What this means is that you cannot use the blackberry's data services until he calls verizon and releases the PIN. From there, you can begin to activate services.

And yes, the reason why it keeps going to your voicemail when you call the guy your bought the phone from is because your phone still thinks it's registered to his number. Follow the directions from the post above:

To switch it to your number, dial ##000000. Where it says Mobile Directory Number change it to your phone number. Press the BB button, select save and let the phone reboot.
    05-28-09 10:28 PM
    Thanks for the info, I'll message the previous owner tomorrow, he was able to use the phone on ATT but I believe it's because he had the bold on his account prior to the Storm.

So if I have a bb data plan prior to getting the storm I wouldn't have this concern?

Is there a way to find out if the PIN has been released without going through the previous owner?

Once the PIN has been release what steps do I need to take, should I first call ATT and add the plan to my account? Should I give them the IMEI # for the Storm? I use to have a sony ericsson phone on my account so when I tried adding the bb data they wouldn't add the unlimited bb data plan that's $30. They were saying the only one available was the 4mb bb data plan. When I told them I wanted the $30 unlimited they told me I have to have a bb on my account first.

The ##000000 worked thanks!
    05-29-09 03:33 AM
    I messaged him today and he said the PIN has been released. So what steps do I need to do to have ATT add the BB data plan to my account?
    05-29-09 04:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD