I am confused with the BIS and BES. How do I know what I should have. I am currently paying the 45.00. Am I overpaying?
    03-25-09 11:51 AM
    BES is the Blackberry Enterprise Server which is normally setup and controlled by your company. BIS is Blackberry Internet Service provided by RIM. If you're not on a corporate account, or don't have direct access to a BES server for activation then you will be using the BIS service through RIM setup by Verizon.
    03-25-09 11:55 AM
    Bes is for an enterprise servers which is usually work related email. You won't need this unless its work related, in which case you need to be activated by your internal enterprise team.

BIS is for a personal or small business email. This is the one most people are on for personal email.
    Does your device connect to a server at work? if not then yes your paying to much. Call and switch to the 29.99 plan for blackberry.

If he's paying, id put my house on him needing to be on BIS. lol.
    03-25-09 11:56 AM
    I do get both my personal and work email to the BB. But I do not believe I am hooked into and work server or anything.
    03-25-09 11:57 AM
    I do get both my personal and work email to the BB. But I do not believe I am hooked into and work server or anything.
    Find out who at your company would know, and then ask them.
    03-25-09 12:00 PM
    you can actually be dual provisioned for both, but its pointless unless you are supposed to be conencted to a work server.
    03-25-09 12:01 PM
    I am a Realtor. To get my work email I just put in the address and passwords at setup and it configured it. I have never spoken with anyone at work for info on my phone. Was a windows mobile before this and again never spoke to anyone.
    03-25-09 12:05 PM
    ok, i have a question...

im having a blond day and am not understanding LMAO

i pay the $50 plan... well my job does.

my work email is on a server.

but.. i signed up for BIS on the storm and now both my work and personal email come up under BIS.

does this mean i am overpaying (well, my job...not me) or does it automatically do that?
    03-25-09 12:07 PM
    When you log into your BIS site, you can see your work email there as well as your personal?
    03-25-09 12:10 PM
    im so confused. log into BIS?. I am going to call Verizon and talk to someone. I'm sure they will be a ton of help.
    03-25-09 12:12 PM
    im so confused. log into BIS?. I am going to call Verizon and talk to someone. I'm sure they will be a ton of help.
    That was directed at the above person doida, not you bro.
    03-25-09 12:13 PM
    When you log into your BIS site, you can see your work email there as well as your personal?
    yes, does that mean i am on the wrong plan? LMAO
    03-25-09 12:15 PM
    Na, sounds like your business just uses BIS then for their emails. Some smaller businesses do this.

If you work for someone like jp morgan, deloitte,etc who have thousands upon thousands of employees, then I would be querying it lol.

If your cpmpany had their own enterprise server then you would be dual provisioned on BES and BIS.
    03-25-09 12:19 PM
    I just had it changed to the 30 plan and I am still getting my emails. I assume I am good to go?
    03-25-09 12:22 PM
    Na, sounds like your business just uses BIS then for their emails. Some smaller businesses do this.

If you work for someone like jp morgan, deloitte,etc who have thousands upon thousands of employees, then I would be querying it lol.

If your cpmpany had their own enterprise server then you would be dual provisioned on BES and BIS.
    yea, i called verizon and they were no help... they asked if it set up my email and i said.. well obviously they set up the email account itself but i just plug it into my phone and thats that... "oh well, if they set up the account then it is def BES" LMAO
    03-25-09 12:26 PM
    Njswoosh,

yeah, sounds good.

If its just personal emails you are after, don't even worry about the whole BES side of things. BIS is all you need.

Did they tell you what you were provisioned for when you called in?
    03-25-09 12:26 PM
    I just had it changed to the 30 plan and I am still getting my emails. I assume I am good to go?
    Also, if it does turn out you only need the BIS plan ($30/mo) get reimbursed for the time you've been paying $45. When the reps add the BB plan, it adds the BES ($45/mo) plan by default. Most the time, they will revert it to the $30, but sometimes its overlooked.
    03-25-09 12:28 PM
    provisioned?
    I told her that its a work email but I have never had any contact with anyone from IT to get it set up. Just put in my info and it works. Now I am still getting my work email and saving $15
    03-25-09 12:30 PM
    yea, i called verizon and they were no help... they asked if it set up my email and i said.. well obviously they set up the email account itself but i just plug it into my phone and thats that... "oh well, if they set up the account then it is def BES" LMAO

Doesn't have to be BES just because its a business phone.

There is nothing stopping smaller company's having IT guys who log into the BIS site, create a username/pass for you, register an email address for you and sending the service books to update your phone, then you are good to go.

Little unclear how you got the username and pass for verizon's BIS site though, did someone internal at your company give you it, or did they instruct you to go to that website and create your own?
    03-25-09 12:30 PM
    And I just wanted to thanks the peeps on this thread. I guess not everyone on CB are ^%%holes when you ask a question. I appreciate all your help.
    03-25-09 12:31 PM
    Doesn't have to be BES just because its a business phone.

There is nothing stopping smaller company's having IT guys who log into the BIS site, create a username/pass for you, register an email address for you and sending the service books to update your phone, then you are good to go.

Little unclear how you got the username and pass for verizon's BIS site though, did someone internal at your company give you it, or did they instruct you to go to that website and create your own?
    i just created the BIS account on the phone itself.
    03-25-09 12:31 PM
    provisioned?
    I told her that its a work email but I have never had any contact with anyone from IT to get it set up. Just put in my info and it works. Now I am still getting my work email and saving $15

Provisioning is something verizion would do for you as they are your service provider.

If you need to be on a BES server, they would provision your blackberry to be used for BES usage. If however, you are going to be using BIS, they would provision you for that instead. In some cases, people have both.

What im asking is what they told you when you called? Did they say " hi njwoosh, we can see you are a BIS user" or anything along those lines, because they should have made it clear to you.

Annoys me when service providers don't tell their users clear information.
    03-25-09 12:33 PM
    Leftfield,
    user name is my email address and I was given the password when I set my mail to go to my outlook instead of using there web based email.
    I just plugged them in and it is working
    03-25-09 12:33 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD