email sent
    02-17-09 02:51 PM
    I sent a zhiing to a friend, but her phone doesn't support it. I noticed that it takes at least several minutes for the zhiing to appear in the "Sent Zhiings" folder. Just a little confusing when trying to figure out if it worked.

Also, after leaving Zhiing up and doing other BB stuff, I switched back to Zhiing and it said it was not activated. Then, I just got another text message saying I needed to click the link to activate.
    02-17-09 02:58 PM
    Got it. Tried it. Deleted it.

Installation was a little tricky. I didn't know I had to wait for a confirmation SMS message after installation before I could use it. Then, I was sent three messages with confirmation links. I had to respond to each before I could actively use the app.

After changing Settings, clicking the back/escape button brought up the typical window with a Save option, but Save did nothing. I had to choose Save from the BB Menu for my settings to keep.

A test Zhiing to my wife's phone was successful, but she doesn't have a smartphone. She would have received 64 SMS text messages to read my location. Fortunately, we have unlimited messaging, but I've no way of knowing whether other recipients have similar plans. I'd hate to send 64 messages to someone who gets charged per message. Also, she knew nothing of Zhiing, so requests to enter her current location and then to accept 64 additional messages were greeted with understandable scepticism (I told her I would be sending her a test, but no other details. Again, other recipients would need to be familiar with Zhiing or they may think they are being spammed or phished.).

Clicking "Close" from the BB Menu does not close the app, it merely sends it to the background. As the app needs to query the GPS with regularity in order to be effective, I fear for my battery. Rebooting does not solve this -- Zhiing reloads automatically in the background. This is not an app I need to have running all the time.

With Zhiing in the background, my phone was sluggish. Deleting Zhiing brought my phone back to its 103 speed.

I see great potential for the Zhiing service, but I think there's too narrow a market right now. If everyone had a GPS enabled smartphone, I'm sure things would be different.

As for the software itself, it can be (and will be) made better with updates.

Until then, I'll have to keep it off my Storm.
    02-17-09 03:05 PM
    Guys -

Crackberry people are the best! Overwhelming amount of great information coming in. I am amazed at how great and enthusiastic this forum has been. Zhiing will benefit,

Thanks - Jon at zhiing
    02-17-09 03:08 PM
    Ubersurfer - Got it and thanks. We will send out a URL as opposed to the text messages. We wanted to be able to have a zhiing go to any phone. The URL will be a clickable map. So we are onto it.

Also, we will incorporate the ability to close the app, so you can use it only when you want. That will make the speed of the app a bit slower, but good not to slow down the entire device, which is bad. I took loopt off my blackberry for the same reason.

As you know smart phones and location awareness is proliferating through the mobile world, so we have designed zhiing in a way to create a standard in communicating locations. So you can send and receive zhiings to any phone anywhere. It will take some time for that technology to catch it, but we needed to start the process. So we expect the market to grow as we grow out the landscape.

Jetson and all. We know the install is a bit rough. We need to keep your phone numbers and usage secure, so as zhiinging increases, no one can just install zhiing on their phone and use your number. So, it has made things a bit cumbersome and we are working to correct that right now. Thanks for bearing through it.

Great feedback and keep it coming.

Jon at zhiing
    02-17-09 04:11 PM
    Install went without a hitch.
    After activating the proper gps settings, I started having issues with my Storm locking up.
    After doing two battery pulls, I finally got my Storm working.

I've noticed extensive battery drain along with excessive sms's (12 in all) telling to sign in and confirm my p#.
    I've already done this when I received the app.

After a couple of hours trying to make this work, I've decided to unistal it.

I hope the final product runs a lot smoother.
    I do like this program and would find it very useful in my daily activities.

Looking forward to the final product.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-09 04:18 PM
    Install went without a hitch.
    After activating the proper gps settings, I started having issues with my Storm locking up.
    After doing two battery pulls, I finally got my Storm working.

I've noticed extensive battery drain along with excessive sms's (12 in all) telling to sign in and confirm my p#.
    I've already done this when I received the app.

After a couple of hours trying to make this work, I've decided to unistal it.

I hope the final product runs a lot smoother.
    I do like this program and would find it very useful in my daily activities.

Looking forward to the final product.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I had the same experience with the same end result.
    02-17-09 04:30 PM
    cmorty72 and gahoo -

Can you send me in an email your operating system?

Thanks you guys.
    02-17-09 04:44 PM
    @jon at zhiing

I respect your attitude regarding these posts. You appear to be taking the comments as constructive criticisms, as I am sure is their intent, rather than as rants and whines.

Thank you for listening to us so openmindedly.

Once the bugs are worked out, I'll return to Zhiing. I see much promise for your service.
    02-18-09 12:04 PM
    RANTS AND WHINES? I will rant and whine about the economy, but the feedback the Crackberry users are giving is something to brag about. It is more valuable than an in-house, controlled beta program that costs 10's of thousands. All I can do is thank you guys!

I want to release the beta Bold build next.

Jon at zhiing
    02-18-09 05:05 PM
    This app should be even better now that google maps is NOW able to find you via GPS. Will have to try this feature out again
    02-18-09 06:13 PM
    Back in NY from my trip that I worked. Good to see people are trying out Zhiing give it time guys its a excellent app. Just like the storm it has some bugs but the end result is going to amaze I am sure of it. Zhiing has A+ potential!
    02-19-09 06:59 PM
    With all that said, our developers are working around the clock to iron out the bugs the Crackberry team has found.

I have sent two releases to the beta group and I have another one on hand tonight.

Has anyone been seeing the Google maps community error?

Jon at zhiing

Great stuff
    02-19-09 10:27 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD