I'm traveling to Mexico for about a week and want to get a pre paid sim. Where can I find those and which company is best for Mexico?

I will be unlocked in a day or two.
    02-23-09 06:42 AM
    I apologize for jumping in.

But if you unlock your phone, and purchase a SIM card in another country, you can effectively use GSM networks?

I recently got back from a business trip to Asia. There were a ton of prepaid sim cards in convenience stores like 7-11. I had a buddy there who lent me his old phone but it would be nice if I could do this on my Storm!
    02-23-09 06:47 AM
    I used my storm in Mexico in December. I bought wal marts cheapest AT&T go phone and added minutes to it online. Then I put the sim from the go phone in my storm. Worked great and allows me to keep the same number when I travel overseas because it is a sim I own. I did get the storm unlock code from Verizon's international dept for free before I left.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-09 07:17 AM
    [QUOTE=asmallchild;1762184]
    But if you unlock your phone, and purchase a SIM card in another country, you can effectively use GSM networks?
    QUOTE]

Yes, you can use the Storm on GSM networks overseas. You don't even have to unlock your phone. You can contact VzW Global and use the Sim that came with the Storm. Unlocking the Storm gives you the ability to shop around for a better buy on a Sim card.
    02-23-09 08:27 AM
    Oh I definitely want to shop around. I saw VZW's rates and let out a chuckle. Unless my company is paying for it, I'm not subscribing at those rates!
    02-23-09 08:40 AM
    I'm traveling to Mexico for about a week and want to get a pre paid sim. Where can I find those and which company is best for Mexico?

I will be unlocked in a day or two.
    I just spent a month south of cancun, I wish I would have bought a ATandT data plan b4 leaving. They have a no contract voice and data for $100 plus about 48cents a minute

The Telcel prepaid are expensive for calling the US about 40 pesos a minute.

02-23-09 11:10 AM
    Oh and be careful on the credit card pay phones I was charged $60 per call.

02-23-09 11:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD