05-15-09 08:27 PM
31 12
tools
    For my second post, I'm trying to decide what custom/hybrid, leaked OS I should run given my specific situation:

1) I'm in a very remote area of Montana, and I only have access to Verizon towers (actually "tower").
    2) I do add/remove data tethering as needed, and again I'm remote. At home, my Storm fluctuates between 1x and EVDO. It's mostly 1x at this point, so I'm barely able to get a signal strong enough(?) for EVDO.
    3) I only use the phone, contacts list, email, browser, SMS/MMS, camera, and FaceBook features (and the Calculator, too).
    4) I'm not overly concerned about battery life, since I charge it overnight every night (but I do need a full-days charge, I use the above features frequently).
    5) I'm using PocketMac for syncing contacts and calendar (though calendar isn't working for me at all right now). All of my up-to-date data is on my MacBook Pro, so I'm not even worried about backing anything up (and I'd almost certainly completely wipe the Storm when updating).

With this said, I'm figuring I need a good radio file (.132 ?) for picking up a distance tower and still getting EVDO (am I wrong in thinking I'll get more reliable EVDO with a different radio file?). I'm assuming everything else can be a hybrid 5.0/.141 setup, with all of the extra stuff removed.

What do those of you "in the know" recommend for my particular situation/needs?

MUCH thanks in advance for your help!
    05-12-09 01:55 AM
    For my second post, I'm trying to decide what custom/hybrid, leaked OS I should run given my specific situation:

1) I'm in a very remote area of Montana, and I only have access to Verizon towers (actually "tower").
    2) I do add/remove data tethering as needed, and again I'm remote. At home, my Storm fluctuates between 1x and EVDO. It's mostly 1x at this point, so I'm barely able to get a signal strong enough(?) for EVDO.
    3) I only use the phone, contacts list, email, browser, SMS/MMS, camera, and FaceBook features (and the Calculator, too).
    4) I'm not overly concerned about battery life, since I charge it overnight every night (but I do need a full-days charge, I use the above features frequently).
    5) I'm using PocketMac for syncing contacts and calendar (though calendar isn't working for me at all right now). All of my up-to-date data is on my MacBook Pro, so I'm not even worried about backing anything up (and I'd almost certainly completely wipe the Storm when updating).

With this said, I'm figuring I need a good radio file (.132 ?) for picking up a distance tower and still getting EVDO (am I wrong in thinking I'll get more reliable EVDO with a different radio file?). I'm assuming everything else can be a hybrid 5.0/.141 setup, with all of the extra stuff removed.

What do those of you "in the know" recommend for my particular situation/needs?

MUCH thanks in advance for your help!

Give 113 or 109 a try. To me those two have always been the best for me. Search the forums and Im sure people will agree with me on this as well. 132 is better than 141 thats for sure but than again people have different experiences with all OS. Some love it, Some hate it. Good Luck.
    05-12-09 02:34 AM
    I'm seeing good signal strength with the Lyricidal .141/5.0 hybrid. He's using the .131 radio file now, which seems to be one of the better ones, at least for me. I'm not getting the flip flopping between 1X, 1XEV, and 1xev that I was getting on other builds. It's also very good for the other things you mention. The only real problem I'm having with it is some minor trouble with the Stereo Bluetooth support with video playback (garbled sound), but it sounds like you don't use that, so it may be a good OS for you. His .exe program makes it really simple too!
    05-12-09 02:49 AM
    I'm seeing good signal strength with the Lyricidal .141/5.0 hybrid. He's using the .131 radio file now, which seems to be one of the better ones, at least for me. I'm not getting the flip flopping between 1X, 1XEV, and 1xev that I was getting on other builds. It's also very good for the other things you mention. The only real problem I'm having with it is some minor trouble with the Stereo Bluetooth support with video playback (garbled sound), but it sounds like you don't use that, so it may be a good OS for you. His .exe program makes it really simple too!
    Cant comment on the signal strength, but I updated to the Lyricidal 5.0 Hybrid earlier in the evening and it's the best OS I have used since I bought my storm in February. Very fast and smooth. I'm in love with it. Unless something better comes along and everyone swears up and down it's better, I'm sticking to this one. I can't recommend it enough.
    05-12-09 02:57 AM
    i'm getting lots of flippy floppy on a different hybrid, couldn't tell you which one, sooks held me hostage while i did it.

i'd suggest not using .141 due to the tethering flaw, unless you're gonna hybrid some of the files into another build to avoid them all together, which is what i'd suggest as the BEST OS at this moment...
    05-12-09 02:57 AM
    i'm getting lots of flippy floppy on a different hybrid, couldn't tell you which one, sooks held me hostage while i did it.

i'd suggest not using .141 due to the tethering flaw, unless you're gonna hybrid some of the files into another build to avoid them all together, which is what i'd suggest as the BEST OS at this moment...
    Didn't know there was a issue with tethering...

"Medic 51 you can disregard your assignment, your in service three oh one..."

Sorry, gotta get myself motivated for work at 6.
    05-12-09 03:01 AM
    if you're tethering, and get an incoming call, the phone freaks out and won't function/respond until after a battery pull...check .141 findings
    05-12-09 03:04 AM
    First off lol what part of Montana? I grew up in great falls. I've been using lyridicals 5.0 for about a week and absolutely love it. I have great signal over 113 and way better than 75. Battery life is good browser is awesome. That's my two cents. Add me on bb messenger if you like 304d6504

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-12-09 05:23 AM
    141/5 hybrid w/ .113 radio
    05-12-09 07:24 AM
    if you're tethering, and get an incoming call, the phone freaks out and won't function/respond until after a battery pull...check .141 findings
    Which leads to you finding the caller and poking him in the eye with a stale piece of moldy bread.

I know how it feels lol.

Blue mothers dont work with no bandwidth
    05-12-09 07:26 AM
    I recently bought a storm 9530 and am still running stock 0.75. I seem to be missing the boat on alot of these problems that I hear everyone talking about. Am I just not noticing because I haven't attempted to run anything better?

Is it that difficult to upgrade and then downgrade if I dont like a new OS? I'm fairly tech savy so that shouldn't be a problem.

Would you recommend upgrading to something like .113 first before making a jump to like .132? Any opinions would help.
    05-12-09 09:59 AM
    Its all about your own opinion since you have to be happy with whatever software version you are running. Its really easy to downgrade if you don't like the upgrade just make sure you've backed everything up and enjoy the ride lol. I noticed a big difference from 75 to 113 and then again to 132 before I went to a hybrid. If you want to try one go for 132 imo.

05-12-09 10:06 AM
    Its all about your own opinion since you have to be happy with whatever software version you are running. Its really easy to downgrade if you don't like the upgrade just make sure you've backed everything up and enjoy the ride lol. I noticed a big difference from 75 to 113 and then again to 132 before I went to a hybrid. If you want to try one go for 132 imo.

Hey meaty88 why not just to the .141? Any special reason?
    05-12-09 10:42 AM
    once i upgrade and if I dont like it how can I get the old one back? When I backup my blackberry will that backup the OS or do I need to do something else?
    05-12-09 05:05 PM
    once i upgrade and if I dont like it how can I get the old one back? When I backup my blackberry will that backup the OS or do I need to do something else?
    if you want to "downgrade" (thats what its called) you just run DM, and go to app loader>update software>it will give you an option to downgrade if the software is loaded on your PC. there is a "how to downgrade" post around here somewhere. i'd suggest just browse around, read what you find, you'll learn lots that way. thats how i learned a bunch of new stuff when i got here. might not apply to your issue now, but you'll have one step up if/when it ever rears its head.
    05-12-09 05:08 PM
    I personally think 132 is a better build than 141 less glitchy in my experience. If I were to suggest 141 it would have to be as a hybrid to fix the bugs like the lock and tethering and radio issues.

05-12-09 08:35 PM
    mine is a .141 hybrid, and it works with none of those issues...just depends what files you use for the different portions, btw its also a shrink.
    05-12-09 08:54 PM
    First off lol what part of Montana? I grew up in great falls.

Small (big) world... I'm in Babb (north of Browning).
    05-12-09 10:18 PM
    Big fan of .113
    05-12-09 10:22 PM
    Small (big) world... I'm in Babb (north of Browning).
    nice i know where that is. did you figure out which os you wanted to try?
    05-13-09 01:58 AM
    The best straight OS IMO is .132

The best hybrids I have used are any of BBcrackman's and Lyrical's.

Best radio codes .132 and .109
    05-13-09 02:29 AM
    Thanks to all for the recommendations! It is very appreciated.

Now, my next hurdle is getting the software to install. Where I'm at, I don't have dialup/DSL/cable internet options. My only option is Wild Blue satellite internet -- and I haven't gotten it yet (will still be three weeks or so).

So, I'm visiting a bigger city for a few days on my days off from work and will have access to the hotel's high-speed internet. If any of you have the time to do so and don't mind helping a BB newbie, I'd like a list of the software/leaked OS items I'm going to need (web links would be awesome!). I figure I'm going to download all of the software, and then sit down and start the upgrading process after I'm back home (but won't have internet access any more at that point, at least not until my Storm is back online -- I tether with it for internet now).

My situation:

1) Using a MacBook Pro running Windows Vista HP (32-bit) via BootCamp.
    2) My BlackBerry original CD's don't work on the Mac-side or Vista-side -- I'm assuming they shipped me crappy discs. I may need to download necessary software from RIM directly?
    3) I would like to try Lyricidal's .141/5.0 hybrid, using the .132 radio and gps files (though gps isn't necessary -- I have a Garmin in the truck).

Will apps like Calculator, Calendar, etc., be installed with the hybrid OS? Other than the RIM applications, I only use Facebook to stay in touch with family. Also, I would like to get Calendar and Contacts syncing properly with my Mac's Address Book and iCal -- any Mac users have issues syncing using the hybrid OS?

Thanks again very much for everyone's help and advice.
    05-14-09 10:42 PM
    i suggest you steal a real PC laptop while you're on your trip, or bribe a friend to let you use it for a few hours...
    05-14-09 10:46 PM
    i suggest you steal a real PC laptop while you're on your trip, or bribe a friend to let you use it for a few hours...
    I'll bet you're just teasing, but you might not want to open up that Pandora's Box...

I started out as a DOS 2.1 user, beta tested Windows 1, 2, and 3/3.1. I switched to Apple because I can actually be productive with them... and as a former employee in the Apple Systems Engineering group, I still like to slam the occasional Windows user. But then I realize that not all Windows users have evolved to a high enough intellectual capacity to fully appreciate a truly advanced hardware/software platform.

--> My comment is in jest, and is not meant as an insult - just some playful banter.
    05-14-09 10:55 PM
    i'm never sharing an OS with CB ever again, purely based on the disrespect and insult that you've bestowed upon me.

that is how you jest and make playful banter

btw, i use PC because it suits my needs at the moment. and i don't wanna be labeled an "apple" user. they're becoming quite the cult. maybe when they as a group of people reach tax exemption i'll jump on the band wagon. just too many compatiblity issues for me right now.

but bottom line is you're gonna need a PC to get the job done.
    05-14-09 11:22 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD