Can anyone comment...does Garmin automatically route you around traffic congestion? The closest I've seen to true "traffic" information on Garmin on my Storm 2 was a list of traffic issues in the area (which I didn't find at all helpful), and once I saw that I-70 had red overlay on it which I assume meant it had heavy traffic, but since it wasn't part of my original route I don't know if it would have directed me around it.

Thanks.
    No, Garmin doesn't. This is one area where people do not understand the differences between VzNav and Garmin. VzNav IMO is a much higher quality service. The same difference as the gentleman's TomTom for $49 and a much better unit with Traffic. If you don't need traffic, you won't understand. If you just want directions, VzNav may be a bit more expensive then what you. But ... if you need or what navigation and traffic, turn by turn, voice input, VzNav is a good buy.
    04-15-10 05:40 PM
    No, Garmin doesn't. This is one area where people do not understand the differences between VzNav and Garmin. VzNav IMO is a much higher quality service. The same difference as the gentleman's TomTom for $49 and a much better unit with Traffic. If you don't need traffic, you won't understand. If you just want directions, VzNav may be a bit more expensive then what you. But ... if you need or what navigation and traffic, turn by turn, voice input, VzNav is a good buy.
    Thank you...that was helpful. For my use, I don't need/use GPS that often, but I can say that when I REALLY need/want to use it is when I'm stuck in a back up and I don't know the "back way" to get to my destination.
    04-15-10 06:31 PM
    If you're going to spend the $10 per month, you might as well try out TeleNav first. It's the same price, they have a 30 day trial, I'm almost positive they have traffic re-routing, and it's probably just me, but I think we give verizon way too much money each month as it is.
    04-15-10 07:23 PM
    I would suggest spending some money and get the Garmin GPS. I have compared it to my Garmin Nuvi 650 Unit and TOMTOM Go930 and it works just as good. Neither is better then the other. And the version I had was back when it first came out with that trial. Not sure if any updates have gone though but back when it first came out, it was sweet.

The only reason I never got it was because I have a GPS unit and I'm always on the road and on the phone as the same time.
    04-15-10 07:44 PM
    You have to decide on what your requirements are. There is a review of garmin vs vznav located in the gps forum.

A dedicated GPS with real time traffic and turn by turn where the street names are pronounced is obviously the best. But then two devices. I want one device and I use vznav in conjunction with bb maps and google maps quite often.

Unless you are travelling in areas with little or no cell service a choice can be had between dedicated hardware and software on phone. While I'm not real happy about giving Verizon more money every month, I'd rather give it to VZW than Telenav.

One a S2 the map display is awesome, almost as good as a dedicated 4:3 device. If you want free navigation search for Life In Pocket. It's actually an interesting application with a bunch of stuff in it.
    04-15-10 08:05 PM
    FWIW, I called Telenav today to cancel it. I had it on my Tour but don't use that phone any more and I have Garmin on my Storm 2. The lady on the phone offered it to me for $4.99/month for one year trying to get me to keep it. Just thought I'd throw this out there...
    04-15-10 08:27 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD