does anyone know of a good gps navigation? Ive been subscribing to vzw navigator but wasnt sure if this was the way to go..

I miss google maps from my droid, thats about all I miss from my droid actually
    02-28-10 01:33 PM
    I've been using Garmin since I had my original Storm 1, and I've continued to use it since then. In my opinion it's simple to use, and I've found it to be reliable on a number of occasions. It's $99.99 for the lifetime of your device, and they are currently offering a 7 day free trial. When I upgraded to the Storm 2 I just contacted Customer Service and they issued a new activation code.

Garmin | Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry - Turn your BlackBerry into a savvy navigator with Garmin Mobile
    02-28-10 01:46 PM
    Garmin is good, there was a thread posted somewhere that compared Garmin to VZ Navigator

I use Garmin, and it's $99 one time fee.

I think LifeinPocket provides free turn by turn, but I don't use it as it is does not overlay the map onto those directions.

I haven't tried VZ Navigator, but I have heard that the newest version is pretty good, so I am not sure if Garmin is better or not.
    02-28-10 01:47 PM
    have you looked at google maps? its pretty nice and free
    02-28-10 01:51 PM
    does anyone know of a good gps navigation? Ive been subscribing to vzw navigator but wasnt sure if this was the way to go..

I miss google maps from my droid, thats about all I miss from my droid actually
    On my S2 I have BB Maps, VZNav, Garmin, BlackStar, and Google Maps. They are all working fine, each with its little quirks, but nevertheless very nice indeed. (Garmin is $99 for a lifetime, plus no monthy.) VZNav does have the real time traffic display. There is no substitute for keeping your eyes and ears open and your mind ON when using any one of these puppies. Doctor Neutron
    02-28-10 01:52 PM
    im using google maps, but that doesnt provide navigation, does it?I thought it was just written directions?
    02-28-10 01:52 PM
    im using google maps, but that doesnt provide navigation, does it?I thought it was just written directions?
    Right, Google Maps on the BB only gives the step by step, but not voice navigation.
    02-28-10 01:54 PM
    seems like vz navigator is competing head to head with gaming..they both offer similar features and both cost roughly the same.. actually vz nav is like $10 more per year than garmin..
    02-28-10 01:55 PM
    If this thread is requesting what the best is, I would have to say its between Telenav and VZ Nav. Telenav has been the best for quite a while. I have it and garmin. Garmin does not require a monthly fee if pay the $79-$99 at once. It costs $120 annually for Telenav and VZNav. I found my Telenav more reliable than the garmin app. the maps are always up to date as are the POI's. I have had streets that change names, and the Garmin had me making strange turns while Telenav knew whats up. It automatically scans for traffic every 5 minutes and gives you detours if it finds it to be faster. The mapping is much cleaner and robust than Garmin's. The search funtions rival Poynt. It even has voice search capability so you can keep your hands off the keyboard. I hear the new VZ nav also added this. It sounds liek VZ has finally stepped it up to compete. But as it stands, i believe Telenav is the best, VZ Nav is a close second, Garmin being 3rd. Anything else is at a lower tier..
    02-28-10 02:08 PM
    have you looked at google maps? its pretty nice and free
    what good is that when u are driving? VZNAV's latest version is awesome--it has voice input now for addresses! very cool.
    02-28-10 02:13 PM
    I just tried both the Garmin and VZ Nav on two seperate trips. I foundthat the Garmin App worked like a charm with no problems especially when on a phone call. While VZ Nav as a GPS was flawless, except for when on a call. Every time a direction prompt would occur byVZ Nav and I was on a telephone call the speaker on the phone call would go silent. I am using the latest OS on my S2 5.0.0.607.

So right now my choice is with Garmin.
    04-15-10 07:41 AM
    garmin is great since i didnt pay for my copy but google is good to for free services
    04-15-10 07:59 AM
    ............. waiting patiently for google's turn by turn voice navigation.....gotta happen soon right???
    04-15-10 08:10 AM
    For turn by turn talking, good map views and all the extra searchable stuff, you can't beat Garmin. Paying $120 a year as a never ending charge for vznav is ridiculous. I used vznav for one month, and it's a great app, but WAY too expensive. Garmin gives you the exact same features for the 1 time fee of $79-$99 (there are some discount coupons out there).
    04-15-10 08:52 AM
    I've been using Garmin since I had my original Storm 1, and I've continued to use it since then. In my opinion it's simple to use, and I've found it to be reliable on a number of occasions. It's $99.99 for the lifetime of your device, and they are currently offering a 7 day free trial. When I upgraded to the Storm 2 I just contacted Customer Service and they issued a new activation code.

Garmin | Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry - Turn your BlackBerry into a savvy navigator with Garmin Mobile
    I had them and it worked ok, but this is for the life of the device. With the new every two option from VZW, when you upgrade you have to purchase another "lifetime" license. I told them to shove it, went to TigerDirect.com and bought a Tom-Tom for $49 bucks on sale. I usually use Google Maps on my storm because I think they're better than BB Maps. Trapster and Poynt are good for GPS enabled apps and they're free as well.
    04-15-10 09:02 AM
    I had them and it worked ok, but this is for the life of the device. With the new every two option from VZW, when you upgrade you have to purchase another "lifetime" license. I told them to shove it, went to TigerDirect.com and bought a Tom-Tom for $49 bucks on sale. I usually use Google Maps on my storm because I think they're better than BB Maps. Trapster and Poynt are good for GPS enabled apps and they're free as well.
    I can't say this conclusively, but to the best of my knowledge, everyone that bought Garmin Mobile for the Storm 1, transferred it over to the Storm 2 for no charge. But even if you had to buy a new Garmin license every 2 years (because of your new every two example), you've still spent less than $50 per year, as opposed to vznav's $120 per year, for the same quality service, that seems silly. I understand that you have saved even more by getting a stand alone gps device, but there are advantages, for some of us, to having fewer things to keep up with.
    04-15-10 09:12 AM
    i dont carry a tom tom with me everywhere i go, i always have my phone though....just saying
    04-15-10 09:17 AM
    I might try Telenav in the future

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-10 09:20 AM
    I might try Telenav in the future

TeleNav is an awesome navigation app. My only problem is that it's also a $10 per month deal, though I think they recently added a $99 per year price. That's still too much for me...tired of never ending bills. If they offered a $100 for the life of your phone, I'd get it, even though I already have Garmin.
    04-15-10 09:43 AM
    i dont carry a tom tom with me everywhere i go, i always have my phone though....just saying
    The only time I need turn by turn voice is when I'm driving or riding the bike, so that's where the Tom-Tom stays. And for $49 far cheaper than Garmin, VZNav etc. And I can make a call and not worry about missing a turn.

Walking I can use Google maps on the storm.
    04-15-10 09:49 AM
    Can anyone comment...does Garmin automatically route you around traffic congestion? The closest I've seen to true "traffic" information on Garmin on my Storm 2 was a list of traffic issues in the area (which I didn't find at all helpful), and once I saw that I-70 had red overlay on it which I assume meant it had heavy traffic, but since it wasn't part of my original route I don't know if it would have directed me around it.

Thanks.
    04-15-10 10:07 AM
    ............. waiting patiently for google's turn by turn voice navigation.....gotta happen soon right???
    I would think within a year or two.
    04-15-10 10:42 AM
    Blackberry maps is OK Google maps is nice cuz u get satellite view that's the only two I've used and I've never gotten lost

04-15-10 04:25 PM
    Garmin works good for me and I have it on my cpu for free...
    04-15-10 04:37 PM
    I'm interested in trying the 7 Day Garmin app. I went to the website though and it says that it isn't for Verizon devices. I'm on Verizon with a Storm 2.

04-15-10 05:14 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD