I'm looking for a good way to use IM on my storm.

a) run one app per protocol.
    +apps are stable
    -need to run several apps
    -no unified IM screens (tabbed interface, whatever)

b) Instango
    +multiple protocols, one app
    +less frustrating than running 3 to 5 IM apps
    +Clean UI with tabbed interface
    -drains battery quickly
    -occupies a lot of memory
    -slow when handling lots of contacts
    -crashes can take down the OS

c) Palringo
    +lots of protocols
    -little documentation available
    -may not specifically support storm
    (haven't used it enough to judge fairly)

Any advice? Do I have any other options?
    05-18-09 01:33 AM
    BeeJive IM... it's in beta for the Storm now.
    05-18-09 01:34 AM
    05-18-09 01:36 AM
    beejive is the best so far. Instango is unstable and palringo is virtually impossible to use on the storm due to compatibility mode.
    05-18-09 12:57 PM
    I've tried most of them including Beejive and I think IM+ is the best, not by much but since I have 4 different IM and at anytime about 35+ people online it is kind of tedious when you use Beejive b/c you have to scroll to the person. If you use IM+ they have a thing called "Grid" where it is the picture or avatar of your contact and you just click on the "pic', also IM+ give you the option that if you lose your internet connection you can still keep in contact through SMS or Email through the program. I bought it for $19.95 when it was on sale so I think the price factor and options is a lot better then Beejive. But overall both are good, if you dont' have a lot of contacts them Beejive is just as good. just my 2 cents!
    05-18-09 10:15 PM
    Don't know if you care about Facebook or not, but if you can get lucky and get BeeJive to connect to your account- it's the best app.

Development is slow, and there is very little support, otherwise.
    05-19-09 01:46 AM
    yeah right now its not connecting to facebook IM, which really is not making me happy, but otherwise it connects perfect

Although I wish there was a way to reorganize the BL in the way you choose to...

but AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, Google talk, etc all connect fine
    05-19-09 02:10 AM
    Beejive for me. I use it for facebook and msn and its always worked. The only problem is that the battery drains fast. Anyone know if that will be better in the final release? I'm not gonna buy it if it stays that bad

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-09 07:58 PM
    Well...I might have to retract my previous statement. My BeeJive beta just got replaced on my convenience key with the IM+ beta. It has Facebook and works!

IM+ All-in-One Mobile Messenger: AIM/iChat, MSN/Windows Live Messenger, Yahoo!, ICQ, Jabber, Google Talk, MySpaceIM and Skype chat :: BlackBerry :: Download
    I just tried using it, and it STILL didnt work for my facebook IM, but it worked for their testing facebook name...

I KNOW I am entering in the right email and password, what else can be wrong??? I've reinstalled, even deleted... this sucks (for both beejiive AND im+)
    05-23-09 01:33 AM
    Beejive far and away best. But it will shorten your battery life by approximately 15-20%
    05-23-09 01:35 AM
    I just tried using it, and it STILL didnt work for my facebook IM, but it worked for their testing facebook name...

I KNOW I am entering in the right email and password, what else can be wrong??? I've reinstalled, even deleted... this sucks (for both beejiive AND im+)
    Yeah, mine doesn't work any longer either.

So, it works initially on both IM+ and BeeJive- Obviously an issue with Facebook and the connection. Sucks.
    05-24-09 07:53 PM
    Update: The developers at BeeJive have figured out a solution to getting Facebook to work...If you need help, I'd suggest emailing your log from the app and mentioning Facebook won't let you log in. Someone should get back to you with instructions.
    05-27-09 01:45 PM
    palringo keeps crashing and locking up my bold. anyone have the same issue?
    05-29-09 09:35 AM
    palringo keeps crashing and locking up my bold. anyone have the same issue?
    I have gone with Palringo for the storm (free app vs. paid... money tight right now), but it keeps losing connection. I liked IM+ alot, and if they have another 50% sale, I would buy this in an instant. Beejive, I tried, but could not get facebook to work on the storm beta, and now my trial license is over, so I'm kind of annoyed with Beejive....

I really am looking for an IM program that uses
    "Google", "Sametime" (work requires me to be on sametime, so I have been using the 8100 sametime version with compatibility disabled... works ok.. sometimes overflick the screen....), and "facebook".

Cheers,
    B.D.
    05-29-09 09:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD