Background: Had Storm since launch. I Don't own a digital camera, and don't want one; I just want a decent all-in-one device, which so far the Storm is shaping up to be.

After playing around for the first few days with it, I had decided that the best camera settings were simply OFF. I couldn't stand waiting so $*&^# long for everything, and couldn't figure out for the life of me why it was necessary to blind your target so thoroughly that by the time the camera is ready to actually TAKE the picture, the subject is covering their eyes with a "WTF DID YOU DO THAT FOR" face on.

Anyways, I've been bored tonight and playing with the different settings, taking pictures in different lighting settings, and I have to say, I am thoroughly displeased with the Image Stabilizer. Everyone has said that it makes pictures a lot better, but I have some VERY different opinions about it.

So far it has seemed to double the picture time (from getting the green box, to fully clicking, to waaaaaiiiting). However, what I find is more frustrating is that pictures with the image stab off are much brighter and truer to colour. I'm not sure if I can post my results yet as I'm a pretty new poster, but I'd like it if everyone would post their settings that they find to give the best quality picture.

Oh and by the way, after some fun testing I also found that you don't need to hold the camera(or the subject) still until you hear the clicking sound in the phone. Just hold it for about a good "One Mississippi" count and the photo should be taken. I don't know why it's so off in their software, but whatever.... I'm just praying that it's next on their list of bugs to work out (after OS speed obviously).

My settings are:
    High Res
    Img stab off
    super fine quality
    white balance auto

Also, has anyone figured out if Geotagging makes the pictures longer to take? Just curious, I'm trying to do everything I can to speed this sucker up.

Bleh, images too large to upload... just take my word for it >_> or take your own pictures and see (i'm indoors, regular fluorescent)
    12-21-08 01:12 AM
    I have a feeling a good update for the phone could really fix the Stabilizer delay, who knows how long that will take tho...
    12-21-08 01:16 AM
    One thing I noticed today that you might want to try is this. I noticed that when you change the
    White balance settings to anything but auto, the picture is taken WAY faster. At least for me it does.

As far as the quality and functionality of it overall, while I do wish it was better, we have to remember
    that this is a camera Phone. Can't expect wonders from it. It does what it needs to.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-08 01:22 AM
    I just discovered that changing the white balance to incadecent (from auto) makes a HUGE difference in the quality of indoor photos ... at least our Christmas tree !!!
    12-21-08 08:48 PM
    12-21-08 08:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD