Planning on switching from winmo to a storm. Looking for an e-book reader. mobipocket looks really cool with an OTA bookstore but doesn't support the storm (read a post in their forum saying that they are working on it)... any options?
    11-19-08 05:14 PM
    I've been looking for two days and I haven't been able to find anything yet. I remember something about an eBook reader when I was installing the desktop software, but I can't find it. I'll check with Verizon tech support and see if they know.
    12-01-08 12:57 AM
    i thought there was an app...

but Viigo also lets you read books, iirc.

Its a pretty limited list of books they let you DL, but they seem to be popular books
    12-01-08 01:07 AM
    this is something that you might want to wait a bit on. I know you are all anxious... but there will be a ton of solutions if you just wait.. The os is quite a bit differen't so all the good ones need updates to make them good anyway..

I would hold off for a bit.
    12-01-08 01:12 AM
    I use Mobipocket right now. I was using it on the Curve, so I already have ebooks for it. It works in compatibility mode. The drawback is that the book only fills up half the screen, and the keyboard always fills up the rest. There is no navigation, so you pretty much have to read the book straight through without jumping. But if you just want to read books and not take advantage of the other features of having a book in electronic form, it will work. I can't wait until the storm specific version works.
    12-03-08 09:06 AM
    Yeah, i've decided that i'm going to wait for a storm version of mobipocket. It looks like a really.cool app.

Thanks for the feedback.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-08 10:33 AM
    Yeah, I downloaded Mobipocket and it sucks.. not worth anything IMHO on the Storm
    12-04-08 09:46 PM
    Yeah, I too have tried MobiReader, even the new beta, but it still isn't there. However, as I got thinking about this, for the short term, there is an easier way. I converted a couple of the books I am getting ready to read to PDF format. I have the RepliGo Reader on my Storm, but I think the built-in PDF support works the same way. Opening the PDF on the Storm, and then changing into single-column 'reader' mode gives a great reading view, full screen. There are screen-up and screen-down buttons visible, but other than that, the experience is quite good. If you purchase books from Baen or any of the other outlets where the books have no DRM, then this will work for you. I have to do that because I share my books between LIT for my TabletPC, LRF for my Sony Reader, and MOBI for the Storm eventually. Also, there are freeware converters from almost any format to any format if you don't have to deal with DRM.

Give it a try and see if you like it.
    12-04-08 10:30 PM
    Thanks, I will try that. Coming from the Pocket PC world I did not even consider PDF as a suitable alternative because none of the readers that I have tried on that platform worked very well.
    12-12-08 04:39 PM
    I have been looking in vain for an e-book reader for the Storm for quite a while. I finally stumbled on a beta version of MobiPocket with Storm support. I would post the link if I could but too new and not allowed... Google "Mobipocket beta storm" for the download link.
    02-04-09 09:19 AM
    i'm missing my ebook reader from my winmob as well. I have lots of .lit files that only open in microsoft reader.. does anyone know of an app that can read these files on the storm? i bet not
    02-04-09 09:23 AM
    Here's the OTA link for the MobiPocket Beta for the Storm -

http://www.mobipocket.com/dev/beta/d...mobireader.jad
    02-04-09 03:25 PM
    this has a bad mem leak and also, the only way to exit this app is to bring up the keyboard in landscape mode and then hit shift Q...closing does not close this app...I was also unable to find any ebooks for this but my experience might have been different. Just thought I would let everyone know.
    02-04-09 03:31 PM
    It is CLEARLY noted that it is a beta...which means they are still working out the bugs...
    02-05-09 08:40 AM
    ABC Amber LIT Converter works for converting LIT files to TXT. The Mobipocket Creater software converts text file to the Mobi PRC format.

The Mobi reader software for the Storm may be beta but it works pretty good for me!
    02-05-09 11:19 AM
    I know its a beta...I was just letting everyone know that I was experiencing a huge memory leak with this app so that they are aware. Nothing against the app.

Next question would be: a good source for ebooks? the "free" kind?
    02-05-09 11:58 AM
    There are various "online" libraries that can be located by googling. Many of these post books in the public domain, and books that the authors have allowed to be placed into an online library.
    Another option is newsgroups - there's a few very active ones. You'll have better luck downloading and reassembling posted ebooks with a quality newsreader AND a subscription to a decent newsgroup server. So - not entirely free - but $4.99 a month is pretty darned cheap for acquisition of zillions of ebooks. It's kind of like Napster for readers. There's probably so few readers left in the modern world that they aren't worth going after.
    02-05-09 02:18 PM
    I have used iSilo for many years on Palm Treo phones. I have literally thousands of books in iSilo format. I recently changes to the BlackBerry Storm 9530. iSilo has a version for the Storm that works great. Give it a try.

I can't post the URL since I'm a newbie.
    02-06-09 11:05 AM
    Ive just installed it on my storm,

but the only problem i have is all my ebooks are in PDF format, and Isilo document convertion programme iSiloX doesnt seem to support PDF,

any ideas how to convert PDF to a format readible by isilox?

iSilo� for BlackBerry Touch
    Last edited by gerryd2; 02-06-09 at 02:20 PM.
    02-06-09 02:14 PM
    iSilox converts html documents into iSilo format. I do not believe there is any way to convert a pdf file into iSilo format, unless you can first convert the pdf file into an html document. The forums on the iSilo website may address this issue.
    02-06-09 06:24 PM
    has anyone tried downloading HTML books from Gutenberg and just reading them in the browser?
    03-04-09 12:15 PM
    mobipocket beta 6.0 B80 works quite well on my Storm. The rub is that you need to bring up the keyboard on the Library screen and click Shift-Q to fully exit the program.

I like being able to change fonts and font sizes and being able to swipe left and right to change pages. I appreciate its automatic bookmarking that always returns me to my last viewed page when I open a book. I haven't had use for its other features yet.

Get details and download at mobipocket.com/dev/beta/blackberry.asp

As for free titles, head over to feedbooks.com and check out their free downloads. Yes, they're mostly older, public domain titles, but what classics they have!
    03-04-09 12:53 PM
    I second the RepliGo reader...renders the books very well and makes them a snap to read. Only downfall I've seen so far is a datasheet I was looking at had a table/chart that was broken up and the data was in the form of a paragraph (which was to be expected), but I'm sure this would have happened with any reader... Excellent app!
    03-04-09 01:02 PM
    Repligo reader and a good torrent site.... wink, wink.
    03-04-09 01:09 PM
    ABC Amber LIT Converter works for converting LIT files to TXT. The Mobipocket Creater software converts text file to the Mobi PRC format.

The Mobi reader software for the Storm may be beta but it works pretty good for me!
    It's ok.

Any other good readers available now?
    04-05-09 02:01 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD