Go into Settings for Poynt and change the maps to Google Maps and then Google maps will work within Poynt

Thanks Bigslam123... I am aware of this work around... But it would be nice if we (Bell users) could get Google to work without using another app first!
    02-23-09 01:18 PM
    Just to clarify with all Bell users after spending 45 min on the phone with bell techs.

GPS does NOT work with Bell at th moment unles you use THEIR app GPS NAV that they pushed through bell last week.

From what the tech said is, if you get a signal, odds are its from the tower and not your specific location.

Also, what he "thinks" is that bell is trying to push the sales of GPS NAV before "tweaking" it to work with google maps....the last part is not official but what HE thinks.

Remember, it works with VZ but it all depends on the carrier. Bell is ****, what can i say.
    Yeah Bell planned on screwing with the GPS on most devices and trying to force user to use their paid GPS service. Then at the last moment they decided against it for whatever reason.

Now with Google maps, Ive been told its a google issue, in the same way it was with verizon. Not sure though.
    02-23-09 01:32 PM

Most recently I discovered that Telus is telling subscribers it no longer even attempts to support non - Telus applications...

I downloaded Telus Navigator (Telus' OWN GPS software, works like a Garmin or Tom-Tom on your mobile phone, free for the first 30 days). Wouldn't you know it, while I had Nav installed on my BB the google maps, geo tagging on pictures and another program I use called "Poynts" all allowed me to use gps with pinpoint accuracy.
    This is exactly what I've seen as well - I had GPS issues (even with BB Maps) last year from around October on when I was using a Pearl 8130. My first pearl (from JAN08) worked fine with the GPS... several swap units later got me to October when all of a sudden no GPS. varied answers from Telus - but all saying the same thing "too bad". If the phone makes & receives calls its out of their hands. Argh!
    02-23-09 05:06 PM
    I think it is a google thing because all other GPS apps work for me except google maps
    02-23-09 06:05 PM
    w00t, just updated to .109 and I can now send MMS messages. NICE!
    02-23-09 08:13 PM
    Verizon gave the ok and permission to work with 3rd party GPS, being the Storms GPS. Telus hasnt, as far as i know of.
    02-24-09 08:45 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD