so from what i have gathered and even after installing the new google maps, the GPS doesnt work on bell and google maps?

unless someone has find a way?

thanks
    02-22-09 12:55 AM
    Yes, the new google maps does work with GPS. mine finds my location within 20 feet. I have Verizon though.
    02-22-09 04:47 AM
    Yes, the new google maps does work with GPS. mine finds my location within 20 feet. I have Verizon though.
    NO, the issue is still there with Bell users.
    02-22-09 07:39 AM
    same with Telus users.
    02-22-09 08:08 AM
    i don't have BB data plan but i still manage to get my google map and my gps to work excellently (i ran my storm on pre-pay plan...so to avoid high payment monthly. i am just a student though )

anyway...i don't know whether this help on telus/bell but i have manually set up the TCP/IP by enabling the APN and also filling the username and password. I believe those setting for bell/telus can be searched away in google (at least that's how i got for my network carrier)

p/s: i am quite amazed how setting the APN helps me a lot to enjoy my storm even though i am only on pre-pay plan!
    02-22-09 10:35 AM
    it works for me, unless im in a basement then i can't get the signal. check your application permissions, make sure google maps can access your gps info.
    02-22-09 10:50 AM
    GPS works, its just not accurate. Mines set up correctly.
    02-22-09 10:52 AM
    the gps on google maps doesnt work, it find ya with within 4000 feet or somthing, but not the gps. or atleast not on Bell
    02-22-09 01:14 PM
    Yeah, when Im home it says 3000m. When Im in the city its closer, like 1800m or so. It even says GPS is unavailable
    02-22-09 04:29 PM
    thats a carrier issue then, not with Google maps. Verizon works perfectly fine, i go outside and it finds my location within 20 feet after a minute or 2. Just used to to drive to Tennessee from virginia. lol
    02-22-09 05:07 PM
    How long are you waiting? It takes at least 30-60 seconds to get a lock on SATs sometimes. Initially, it'll tell you the "My Location Beta" distance and then eventually it'll drop down to a few meters.
    02-22-09 05:15 PM
    Confirmed from another Telus user, GMM won't work with GPS. I'm going to call Telus' DNA team and see what they say. I'll report back when I get a hold of them.
    02-22-09 06:56 PM
    Any update on this? People all seem to have different opinions is there anyone on Bell/Telus that can get a true GPS lock (not within 3000m)?
    02-23-09 12:17 AM
    this doesn't work for me neither. i've also d/l the latest update for google maps as well.
    02-23-09 11:29 AM
    Hasn't anyone noticed that the complainers in this thread are not Storm users? The reason I say this is because the new version was written to work with the Storm specifically and not any other BB yet.
    02-23-09 11:51 AM
    This doesn't work for me either with telus says anywhere from 1800M - 4200M GPS unlivable
    02-23-09 11:54 AM
    I'm currently employed by a local Telus dealership... I find it fun to call into DNA and pretend I'm an unknowledgeable Telus customer...

Most recently I discovered that Telus is telling subscribers it no longer even attempts to support non - Telus applications...

Meaning, ANY problems with software using GPS (bb maps, google maps, even the GEO taggin feature on your camera) won't be supported by DNA.

My Experiment:

I downloaded Telus Navigator (Telus' OWN GPS software, works like a Garmin or Tom-Tom on your mobile phone, free for the first 30 days). Wouldn't you know it, while I had Nav installed on my BB the google maps, geo tagging on pictures and another program I use called "Poynts" all allowed me to use gps with pinpoint accuracy.

Now, as soon as I deleted the Navigator app the gps stopped working again.

What a shock. Basically, my conclusion is that Telus has disabled the GPS feature unless the network detects Telus Nav installed on the device. I think Microsoft tried something similar back in the 90's when they tried to prevent anything but internet explorer from being used on PC's.

If anyone else has different experiences, I'd love to hear them! See, my FIRST blackberry Pearl (I'm on my fourth) allowed me to use GPS without a problem at all...

On a seperate issue, Telus does not support MMS on ANY of their bb's, whereas Bell does. FYI
    02-23-09 12:05 PM
    Hasn't anyone noticed that the complainers in this thread are not Storm users? The reason I say this is because the new version was written to work with the Storm specifically and not any other BB yet.
    LOL so what about all us Bell complainers that do own storms? Im saying this is a known bell/google issue.
    02-23-09 12:15 PM
    On a seperate issue, Telus does not support MMS on ANY of their bb's, whereas Bell does. FYI
    No mms on Bell storm
    02-23-09 12:16 PM
    Just to clarify with all Bell users after spending 45 min on the phone with bell techs.

GPS does NOT work with Bell at th moment unles you use THEIR app GPS NAV that they pushed through bell last week.

From what the tech said is, if you get a signal, odds are its from the tower and not your specific location.

Also, what he "thinks" is that bell is trying to push the sales of GPS NAV before "tweaking" it to work with google maps....the last part is not official but what HE thinks.

Remember, it works with VZ but it all depends on the carrier. Bell is ****, what can i say.
    02-23-09 12:21 PM
    No mms on Bell storm
    I also asked about that.
    He said it was pushed out last week with GPS NAV but they seem to be having issues with it. Some might have the icon and some might not but it doesnt work nevertheless.

But, we WILL have it. No ETA on that either.
    02-23-09 12:24 PM
    Well... I have the Bell GPSNAV... works fine.... BBMaps works fine... Poynt also works fine... so why is it that only Google Maps can't seem to get a GPS lock?

And... It takes no longer than 30 seconds to get a lock with GPSNav, BBMaps or Poynt.... So I know it has nothing to do with the signal...
    02-23-09 12:27 PM
    Well... I have the Bell GPSNAV... works fine.... BBMaps works fine... Poynt also works fine... so why is it that only Google Maps can't seem to get a GPS lock?

And... It takes no longer than 30 seconds to get a lock with GPSNav, BBMaps or Poynt.... So I know it has nothing to do with the signal...
    Go into Settings for Poynt and change the maps to Google Maps and then Google maps will work within Poynt
    02-23-09 12:32 PM
    I was told that when you get a reading of 1000m or something like that it's b/c it's not using satalites but rather cell towers to find your location.. I may be wrong
    02-23-09 12:54 PM
    I was told that when you get a reading of 1000m or something like that it's b/c it's not using satalites but rather cell towers to find your location.. I may be wrong
    You are 100% correct.
    02-23-09 01:12 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD