Playing poker last night and my friend knocked his beer over spilling the beer on the screen of my Storm. Jumped up so fast I almost spilled another, grabbed some paper towels dried up the top, promptly removed the battery to check for any liquid in the back and took a hair dryer to it just in case. It looks as though all the liquid was just on the front screen but put the whole thing in a bowl of white rice. The sticker on the battery still has the solid red line through it, not a smudge or anything. Powered her up this morning and looks like everything is fine, display is still perfect and all the buttons still work. I was mostly concerned about the beer leaking through the gap in the front but I think I'm ok. I think the screen protector helped and I have a rubber skin on the back. Is there any other water damage stickers I should check, although everything seems to be alright.

Just thought I would share my near death experience! My heart is still beating a few extra beats.
    12-07-08 07:31 AM
    No, the battery sticker is the only one on the Storm. Glad you didn't ruin the phone in the process last night. Whatever beer it was, the Storm must have thought it "tastes great" and not "less filling". Did the Miller Lite guy (one of the Bob's from Office Space) jump out at you from the More Taste League?
    12-07-08 07:34 AM
    Thanks! Can't remember what he was drinking but I'll never take the phone out of my pocket during a poker game any more
    12-07-08 08:05 AM
    Playing poker last night and my friend knocked his beer over spilling the beer on the screen of my Storm. Jumped up so fast I almost spilled another, grabbed some paper towels dried up the top, promptly removed the battery to check for any liquid in the back and took a hair dryer to it just in case. It looks as though all the liquid was just on the front screen but put the whole thing in a bowl of white rice. The sticker on the battery still has the solid red line through it, not a smudge or anything. Powered her up this morning and looks like everything is fine, display is still perfect and all the buttons still work. I was mostly concerned about the beer leaking through the gap in the front but I think I'm ok. I think the screen protector helped and I have a rubber skin on the back. Is there any other water damage stickers I should check, although everything seems to be alright.

Just thought I would share my near death experience! My heart is still beating a few extra beats.
    Thank god you pulled the battery fast. However does your storm now smells like beer?
    12-07-08 08:22 AM
    No, did the sniff test as well, lol. No beer smell, works fine - I think there was a miracle! The battery is supposed to have the red solid line though it right? I'm pretty sure that's what it looked like before the incident - white box with a solid red line through it, no smudging or anything.
    12-07-08 08:27 AM
    No, did the sniff test as well, lol. No beer smell, works fine - I think there was a miracle! The battery is supposed to have the red solid line though it right? I'm pretty sure that's what it looked like before the incident - white box with a solid red line through it, no smudging or anything.
    Oh, that's too bad....being a show off, huh?! JK.

My Storm battery was white with red X's on it.
    12-07-08 08:31 AM
    That's alcohol abuse, right there!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-07-08 08:36 AM
    That's alcohol abuse, right there!!

You ain't kidding! It was a lot of beer too. Just shows that the screen is good quality. My kid spilled trumpet oil on my old Pearl and that soaked right through and behind it. Granted it was oil not beer but I'm still impressed that the display is still working 100%.
    12-07-08 08:39 AM

Okay we know the Storm turned out okay. How did you do at the table?? After all that stress I hope you at least won some money....
    12-07-08 09:39 AM
    haha sounds similar to my dad knocking over his glass of water on the counter where my storm was sitting and me literally diving from the kitchen table to the counter and grabbing it. Unfortuanatly I hit my head but rather have damage to myself then the precious storm haha!
    12-07-08 09:49 AM
    Actually better than usual which made this a little easier to swallow - and knowing I had insurance just in case I will admit it was really hard to give the game my full concentration after that, but I actually won more hands - I guess I didn't over think every move.
    12-07-08 09:50 AM
    Glad your phone was all right! Even with insurance though the replacement phones are crap. That's just been my experience with insurance replacements.
    12-07-08 10:16 AM
    No, the battery sticker is the only one on the Storm. Glad you didn't ruin the phone in the process last night. Whatever beer it was, the Storm must have thought it "tastes great" and not "less filling". Did the Miller Lite guy (one of the Bob's from Office Space) jump out at you from the More Taste League?
    There are always at least 2 moisture stickers on phones. The one that you can see just by removing the battery doors of most phones, is for stage 1 diagnostics. When you send your phone off for repair, there is a second sticker on the circuit board that lets the techs know if it has been fully submerged.
    12-07-08 10:20 AM
    There are always at least 2 moisture stickers on phones. The one that you can see just by removing the battery doors of most phones, is for stage 1 diagnostics. When you send your phone off for repair, there is a second sticker on the circuit board that lets the techs know if it has been fully submerged.
    Right, i have been told by more than one person that there is a few of them on the inside of the device...
    12-07-08 10:25 AM

a friend did the exact same thing the other night with my phone... apparently the phone gods were not looking upon me because my background has a leopard look to it and is starting to discolor on one side... unlike water, beer is sticky and I don't think there's anything I can do about it now? suggestions?

everything works fine... and it's only noticeable when the background is white (SMS/email)... but it's bothering me... reminding me everytime that my ***** friend spilled beer on it.

ugh. I might call Verizon and claim the corner problem. my red line is completely intact as well.
    12-07-08 10:36 AM
    I think your Storm was just a little thirsty, nothing wrong with a few beers right Mr. Storm? "Right!!" - Mr. Storm
    12-07-08 10:54 AM
    a friend did the exact same thing the other night with my phone... apparently the phone gods were not looking upon me because my background has a leopard look to it and is starting to discolor on one side... unlike water, beer is sticky and I don't think there's anything I can do about it now? suggestions?

everything works fine... and it's only noticeable when the background is white (SMS/email)... but it's bothering me... reminding me everytime that my ***** friend spilled beer on it.

ugh. I might call Verizon and claim the corner problem. my red line is completely intact as well.
    Try the rice trick - remove your battery and submerge both the phone and separate battery in the rice and close the container. You are supposed to leave it there for at least 24 hours, although I admit I didn't since I couldn't wait that long. After the spill, did you vacuum any of the liquid out? That also helps but will not remove all the moisture. The rice will soak up the moisture but it does take time.

The problem if you complain about the corner, they may see the liquid under the screen and not replace your phone. Do you have insurance?

Don't give up all hope though, try the rice, you have nothing to lose
    12-07-08 11:07 AM
    exact same prolbem with mine. Its almost as if the beer leaked between the glass touch screen and the gui, dried and left a residue that is mostly noticeble woth the white screens or when viewing pics or video. I dont want to claim the insurance on it because I've heard horror stories about the replacement phones. A friend of mine suggested using a wet q-tip to reinfitrate water into the affected area (rt uppermost corner) and the immediately inserting a very absorbent sheet of paper towel into the gap between the the phones edge and the scren in the hope that itwill loosen the residue and suck it out. of course this is with battery out. what do think?
    01-24-09 11:42 AM
    Screw the Storm. We're you able to get a replacement for the beer you spilled?

01-24-09 01:03 PM
    I'm glad your storms ok but I am sorry about your BEER
    01-24-09 01:09 PM
    Amen to that! Hopefully it wasn't a nice microbrew

01-24-09 01:39 PM
    I too had beer spilled on my storm. I was livid. The phone works fine, but the screen feels a little sticky. Also, I have some spots under the screen; they almost look like stars. Although it is irritating its not enough to have to go through the replacement crap!

Bottom line: Never have your phone sitting on the table when alcohol is being consumed!
    01-25-09 12:48 PM

True! BEER is the number one priority at hand here!
    If my friend spilled beer on my storm, I might just have to spill my fist into his face
    01-25-09 01:00 PM
    You...are...very...very...very...lucky...
    That could have gone the completely different way. As long as you are calm and assertive in a time like that, everything will be better.
    01-25-09 08:49 PM
    Glad your phone was all right! Even with insurance though the replacement phones are crap. That's just been my experience with insurance replacements.
    Nope. Wrong. I filed a claim Wednesday at about 1:30 PM. Thursday at 2:00 PM I had UPS at my door. I opened the box, and inside was a Storm box. Unopened. Completely brand new everything. Pretty bad *** for 50 bucks.
    01-26-09 04:38 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD