When in bedside mode, shouldn't all notification alarms be silenced automatically?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-23-08 01:14 PM
    yes they should, however last night when i put my storm in bedside mode, plugged up, it sounded off for two incoming emails and the LED lit up. I don't know if this is a side effect of my .83 installation or not...still researching here on the boards.
    12-23-08 01:16 PM
    what is bedside mode supposed to do?
    12-23-08 01:18 PM
    same here, i love email notices at 445 am....i have tried everything to stop it but no go
    12-23-08 01:19 PM
    there's a setting for turning off the radio in the bedside mode and turning off the led. did you try turning those off?
    12-23-08 01:19 PM
    i saw that have not tried it, lol,,,where is
    my radio?
    12-23-08 01:37 PM
    i saw that have not tried it, lol,,,where is
    my radio?
    In clock, Menu > Options under "Bedside Mode" there's "Disable LED" and "Disable Radio"... disabling radio disables your connection to the network while bedside mode is activated, so you actually aren't capable of receiving those 5 am emails
    12-23-08 01:39 PM
    Do you have to disable the Radio altogether, or can you just disable the notifications until you turn off bedside mode?
    12-23-08 01:40 PM
    I turn my sound profiles to Just Phone then you can go into bedside mode. You would think bedside mode does this but guess not. I also don't want to turn off radio because I do want to receive phone calls to the phone (emergencies etc).
    12-23-08 01:43 PM
    I don't want to turn off the radio. I want to see missed called when I wake up, but don't want them ringing at 4:45 am
    12-23-08 01:44 PM
    Then I guess set the alerts off in the sound settings? I know it's an extra step, but...oh well. At least your clock is working. I can't even get my clock to stay ON. Screen keeps shutting down.
    12-23-08 02:11 PM
    Turning off the radio sounds good to me. If someone calls me in the middle of the night with an emergency, they'll call my land line. If it isn't an emergency, it can wait until I've gotten my beauty sleep.
    12-23-08 02:15 PM
    I agree that turning the radio is a bit drastic...cell phones are great emergency contact devices for work and personal emergencies. I would hate to find out at 8AM that something very important happened the night before and noone could reach me because my "smart phone" can't handle allowing phone calls to come in but not email sounds...
    12-23-08 02:18 PM
    Turning off the radio sounds good to me. If someone calls me in the middle of the night with an emergency, they'll call my land line. If it isn't an emergency, it can wait until I've gotten my beauty sleep.
    What's a land line? Is that one of those phones you plug into the wall? I didn't realize people still use those things. JK

We don't use land lines at my house, everyone has a cell phone.

I just set my profile to phone only. Then I use bedside mode
    12-23-08 02:23 PM
    There's no need to turn-off radio mode. I just set my notifications to "Phone Calls Only" mode in the main screen. In the clock application under "options" I have "Disable LED" on "Yes". This allows someone to reach me in an emergency on my cell phone but prevents emails from waking me in the middle of the night.
    12-23-08 02:33 PM
    I go into sound profiles and set the phone to silent. I then put it into bedside mode when going to sleep to keep from seeing the red, flashing LED.
    12-23-08 02:47 PM
    You can go to "sound profile" set your alert to phone calls only, which silence everything except phone calls. This way you can select the volume on incoming phone calls at night. At night you have to remember to turn on the alert and turn off the alert during the day. Entering bedside mode will silence everything and if you don't like the LED light to blink then click on "Clock", "Menu", and "Options". Here you can change your settings. Hope I am not to late and this helps.
    12-25-08 11:08 PM
    I wish there was a way to automatically have the dock change sound profiles when you put the phone in. I asked about this in a separate thread and it seems like there isn't a way to do this.
    12-25-08 11:14 PM
    What is the point of the bedside mode? I mean you could just as easily set the phone into silent mode which is the same as the bedside mode with the exceptino that you'll still receive all your emails/calls/voicemails without them waking you. Or you can turn the phone off and it will wake up when it is time for your alarm, then you'll save even more battery charge since it will be in the lowest possible battery use mode. It seems quite pointless to me.

Anyone see an actual use to the mode?
    12-25-08 11:20 PM

I do. I use it as my alarm clock as well. I can then set it to wake me up to any MP3 I want, instead of an annoying buzzer or the same ol radio station. I had to create a new profile to silence everything but the phone and the alarm...
    12-25-08 11:25 PM
    What is the point of the bedside mode? I mean you could just as easily set the phone into silent mode which is the same as the bedside mode with the exceptino that you'll still receive all your emails/calls/voicemails without them waking you.

The point of the bedside mode is to give you a dimmed clock with alarm while at the same time charging your phone. Personally, I love it!

Sound profiles are just that, they control your sounds...if you don't want to get alerts, set the profile to phone only... if you don't want ANYTHING, turn the radio off or set your sound profile to silent and disable LEDs in the bedside mode.

In case you weren't aware, you can shortcut to the sound profiles by clicking on the small speaker icon in the upper left corner of the phone, then selecting the desired profile...this saves you accessing the profiles through the menu system. Takes two clicks before you put the phone in the cradle.
    12-25-08 11:32 PM
    After reading this entire thread, I love the bedside mode. I use it for an alarm clock in my bedroom and with the cradle it is charging at the same time. I had hoped that there was a way for bedside mode to disable all alerts but the phone but I see that is not happening. So I will start changing my sound profile to Phone only before putting my Storm to bed as it where. ;D Hopefully RIM will address this issue in a future update.
    01-08-09 01:03 PM
    I turn my sound profiles to Just Phone then you can go into bedside mode. You would think bedside mode does this but guess not. I also don't want to turn off radio because I do want to receive phone calls to the phone (emergencies etc).
    Same here.
    01-08-09 01:07 PM
    Love the bedside mode. Like the fact that all I have to do is touch the screen and the clock will show and then dim on its own. I just set my phone to 'phone calls only' and worked great.
    01-08-09 02:56 PM
    Is there a way to automatically switch profiles based on time? It would be great if at say 11PM the phone would automatically change to a custom "night profile" Need phone in case of emegency and I recieved "emergency text" notifications at night. At 7AM automatically switch back to my normal profile.
    01-08-09 03:15 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD