So i woke up early this morning before work and decided to treat myself to one of the coolest phones i have seen in quite sometime. I can say that that i really do like the storm a lot, but i noticed some issues and i wanted to make sure they are pretty common or if i should get my phone replaced. If any of you who are knowledgeable about the phone could help i would really appreciate it. ( i have a good few questions to ask).

the first thing i noticed is that my screen is not COMPLETELY immovable. i am able to very, very slightly move it around. its not huge, but i wanted to be sure its how the screen is based on its design or if its a defect.

The first thing i did was read a forum post titled "A guide to make your storm BETTER"

and followed those steps. It seemed like most of them had already been done though. Was this because the firmware (.75) that was already installed made these changes?

From that.. i wanted to know if its wise for me to use the beta firmware? I'm not worried about legal issues and things like that, i'll use it if its really better performance wise, but i wanted some input as to if its beneficial.

When looking at all my tabs i notice its difficult to hit the power off tab (or any tab ) all the way down in the bottom left. Its like if i hit the extreme bottom left of the screen (not quite the edge) it doesnt always register.

There is lag when i hit the call button to be able to type in a number. is this a normal thing?

lastly, i love facebook and myspace. I also love having the option to view them with this phone. (i'm enjoying the brower very well). however with the myspace app it mentioned i needed to have the email i use for it to be registered at the blackberry email site so i could receive my messages and things of the such. (at least.. thats what i believe it said) Well that email is registered, but i never see if someone has send me a message or comment. I get no notification what-so-ever.

Sorry if this post is too long, i just would really rather ask these questions to the people here on the forums, instead of some of the jackasses that i know of that work at my verizon store.
    02-14-09 01:32 AM
    Yes the screen is supposed to move slightly...

The beta software is quite beneficial if speed and fun is useful to you.

You may have an issue with your device if you can't click things at screen edges.

Lag is a normal storm thing. It gets better with each new OS though.. We are improving.

Double check your BIS page and make sure you have an icon on your home screen for the email address in question. If you're still having issues later repost that here and we'll try to help you.

Welcome to Crackberry.
    02-14-09 01:50 AM
    the first thing i noticed is that my screen is not COMPLETELY immovable. i am able to very, very slightly move it around. its not huge, but i wanted to be sure its how the screen is based on its design or if its a defect.

Yes, this is normal as the screen has to travel up and down.

The first thing i did was read a forum post titled "A guide to make your storm BETTER"

and followed those steps. It seemed like most of them had already been done though. Was this because the firmware (.75) that was already installed made these changes?

Have any examples? You would have to be looking at some fairly old posts if they were regarding the previous official release .65

From that.. i wanted to know if its wise for me to use the beta firmware? I'm not worried about legal issues and things like that, i'll use it if its really better performance wise, but i wanted some input as to if its beneficial.

Well it is a beta, so as you can probably tell it's at your own risk. While they are generally stable, there are some known issues that creep up. That said, if this is your first blackberry, you should get yourself familiar with the device and the desktop software before doing this. there is a risk involved so get familiar with it first!

When looking at all my tabs i notice its difficult to hit the power off tab (or any tab ) all the way down in the bottom left. Its like if i hit the extreme bottom left of the screen (not quite the edge) it doesnt always register.

I find that somewhat normal for mine, the thing you want to check out is the actual clicking of the screen. it should click relatively universally across the entire screen, ie the middle of the screen should feel about the same as the edges. the bottom part of the screen tends to be the main culprit in this. it tends to be alot softer, but it shouldn't be

There is lag when i hit the call button to be able to type in a number. is this a normal thing?

How long of a lag? Are we talking 1-2 seconds or like 5+?

lastly, i love facebook and myspace. I also love having the option to view them with this phone. (i'm enjoying the brower very well). however with the myspace app it mentioned i needed to have the email i use for it to be registered at the blackberry email site so i could receive my messages and things of the such. (at least.. thats what i believe it said) Well that email is registered, but i never see if someone has send me a message or comment. I get no notification what-so-ever.

I don't really use my Myspace, but if it's like the Facebook app, you may have to turn on the email notifications at the Myspace website. The Facebook app takes any email notifications you get via email and puts them in the app, so they're part of a "seperate" box in a way. Myspace app may need the same thing

Sorry if this post is too long, i just would really rather ask these questions to the people here on the forums, instead of some of the jackasses that i know of that work at my verizon store.
    02-14-09 01:53 AM
    First off, welcome to CB and congratulations on the storm.

This is how the storm screen is, the screen moves to allow room for the screen to be able to click.

I noticed that most of the things posted in that thread correspond to the default settings that the phone was set to since release.

I always recommend that you get a little more acquainted with the device before doing the updates. If you choose to install one of the leaked betas, I recommend either .103 or .99. I have run both on my device and they are a vast improvement in performance over .75.

This is a reported problem on many storm models. You can either get it replaced or you can try to fix it yourself. Some of the fixes for this problem is to place a business card between the battery door and the battery or you can tighten the small screw to the right of the battery.

This is related to the OS. The OS in .75 is a slow and sluggish at times. I would recommend doing an update to one of the leaked betas after becoming familiar with the device.

There are problems with these two apps displaying the notifications properly. I would make sure that you are running the latest version of myspace and just give it time. Also we are awaiting the release of a new facebook app (1.5). Make sure you check your settings for the messages being delivered to your email.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by ArmaK; 02-14-09 at 02:03 AM.
    02-14-09 01:59 AM
    I always recommend that you get a little more acquainted with the device before doing the updates. If you choose to install one of the leaked betas, I recommend either .103 or .99. I have run both on my device and they are a vast improvement in performance over .75
    I waited a long time before updated my software. Partly because I was a little wary of betas and the risks that come along with it, and even though this is not my first blackberry by far it is the one I feel most protective about so I didn't want to do anything that had any risks.

That being said, I decided to take the plunge and went from .75 to .103 and I don't regret it one bit so far.

Everyone is different though. I do side with the above posts saying you should get more acquainted with your phone first, and understand the risks involved but the updated os are much improved in my opinion. I enjoyed the storm very much running .75 and I love it even more now at .103
    02-14-09 02:14 AM
    you are all awesome..

. I'm feeling better about the screen now that i know its suppose to move a bit. that had me worried for a bit earlier today. Also i really appreciate the advice about working with the bottom of my screen. It seems quite a bet less responsive so i'll try to the screw trick.

If i try a leaked update, all i have to do is just downgrade right? Or would i have to wipe my storm? I mean.. i suppose wiping it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but i would rather not if i didnt have to. also between the 2 leaked updates that were mentioned, which one would you suggest i upgrade to that will have the best performance? (or is it a matter of the newest one will always be the better firmware?)

the lag with pressing the phone button is closer to 2 seconds. Not unbearable.. but still somewhat annoying given how powerful of a device the storm seems to be.

oh, and thank you for mentioning the myspace permission. I swear i had seen that before and the moment i read it i knew where to go to activate it. I have that problem taken care of now. It seems to be updating correctly.
    02-14-09 02:15 AM
    . I'm feeling better about the screen now that i know its suppose to move a bit. that had me worried for a bit earlier today. Also i really appreciate the advice about working with the bottom of my screen. It seems quite a bet less responsive so i'll try to the screw trick.

Remember, if you just got the device you do have the option to go and get a new one if it's not clicking correctly.

If i try a leaked update, all i have to do is just downgrade right? Or would i have to wipe my storm? I mean.. i suppose wiping it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but i would rather not if i didnt have to. also between the 2 leaked updates that were mentioned, which one would you suggest i upgrade to that will have the best performance? (or is it a matter of the newest one will always be the better firmware?)

You don't have to do a wipe to do upgrades, I never do. Everyone experiences betas differently. A friend at work was much better off with .99, whereas I'm doing better with .103. Everyone experiences things differently. If you look around, you'll see people who downgrade all the time. It's more of a try and see thing.

the lag with pressing the phone button is closer to 2 seconds. Not unbearable.. but still somewhat annoying given how powerful of a device the storm seems to be.

That sounds about right from what I remember with .75. Newer builds are faster in general

oh, and thank you for mentioning the myspace permission. I swear i had seen that before and the moment i read it i knew where to go to activate it. I have that problem taken care of now. It seems to be updating correctly.

Good to hear
    02-14-09 02:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD