Do any of you think that the apps for the storm will ever be as good as the iphones. I was using my friends iphone and was looking at all the apps. Damn there is a lot. Some of them even look crap made, but still they had them. will blackberry ever have this????????

state your opinions
    01-26-09 01:44 PM
    hmm where did it go... ahh there it is..

Here's your sign.

01-26-09 01:55 PM
    I guess it depends on the App.

My understandning is the iPhone/iTouch has a separate video processing unit in the device thus allowing better 3d rendered games.

If you're old enough to remember when PCs didn't have a seprate card for video acceleration then you'll know that while the PC were capable of palying games, they weren't the same or as smooth as thosue with the cards installed
    01-26-09 02:13 PM
    so are you saying that the BBS doesnt have a special VP Card?

but will we be able to get a lot of stuff, even if it is not as great quality
    01-29-09 03:48 PM
    I hope to god they dont have that many apps.....the only App on the iphone I really really like is Shazam, other than that I could care less about them.....
    01-29-09 03:53 PM
    i hope they do..... i kinda do love all the apps....

that is one of the reasons i bought an BBS, because I didnt want to go to ATT..........
    01-29-09 04:26 PM
    Do any of you think that the apps for the storm will ever be as good as the iphones. I was using my friends iphone and was looking at all the apps. Damn there is a lot. Some of them even look crap made, but still they had them. will blackberry ever have this????????

state your opinions

You do realize that there is practically no filtering or admission system for the App Store (aside from filtering lude content) so of the 15,000 or so apps available, only a couple hundred of them are actually useful. The rest are just novelty or crap apps or just re-writes of the most popular apps.

RIM has come out to say that they will be culling their App Center (App Storefront or whatever you want to call it) to weed out some apps, so I suspect the quality of RIM apps will be a little higher than the iPhone App Store's... but I doubt they will look as pretty, since most iPhone apps are concerned with visual appearance foremost and functionality second.

I can say with some certainty that the RIM App Store won't grow as quickly as the iPhone store simply because there are a lot more iPhone users and developers out there than Storm users and developers (since the iPhone has been around for 2 years now, is a very trendy accessory and a has very high sales).

Keep in mind that the iPhone App Store was not released the same day as the iPhone. It was released about a year after original iPhone was released. For RIM to release their App Store only 4 months after the Storm is released is making pretty good progress.

Also, it seems like someone asks these questions every day.
    Last edited by mdude85; 01-29-09 at 05:17 PM.
    01-29-09 05:13 PM
    I think there will be a few apps but nothing like the iPhone. The main reason is money.

Most decent apps on the iPhone charge a few bucks for the app. So the more people that buy the app the more money you make. I'm not sure how many people have iPhones but the number is way beyond the number of storm owners. So in theory there is more money to be made selling iPhone apps.

I emailed this compay who makes iPhone apps and asked them how the storm buiness was going and this is what they said.

"Ever since the storm was released we've asked all our customers if they would like us to create the same app but for the storm. Not one single buyer wanted the storm app created just the iPhone app."

I hope it's not a sign of what's to come.
    01-29-09 05:16 PM
    I think there will be a few apps but nothing like the iPhone. The main reason is money.

Most decent apps on the iPhone charge a few bucks for the app. So the more people that buy the app the more money you make. I'm not sure how many people have iPhones but the number is way beyond the number of storm owners. So in theory there is more money to be made selling iPhone apps.

I emailed this compay who makes iPhone apps and asked them how the storm buiness was going and this is what they said.

"Ever since the storm was released we've asked all our customers if they would like us to create the same app but for the storm. Not one single buyer wanted the storm app created just the iPhone app."

I hope it's not a sign of what's to come.
    Well for every 1 Storm user there are about 13 iPhone users. I'm hoping that in 6 months this ratio will be closer to 1 Storm user for every 5 iPhone users but who knows. Storm sales are growing pretty quickly but it remains to be seen if iPhone sales will eventually slow (my guess is that they will since the market of entertainment smartphones sold by ATT will be saturated with iPhone)

The thing about iPhone apps is that a lot of people code them in their spare time. When you couple this with the fact that Storm apps are written in a different language than iPhone apps, it doesn't make a lot of sense for a hobbyist developer to spend hours and hours converting them even if there might be a market for them. For most developers, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and the iPhone system ain't broke.

Also, I don't really understand that comment you received. Is this developer asking if all his iPhone customers would like a version made for the Storm? Why should they care if they only use iPhones? Maybe you can clarify for us.
    01-29-09 05:28 PM
    I'm not a tech guy, but someone has to have thought about creating a program that converts iphone apps to Storm apps. How difficult would this be?
    02-09-09 06:26 PM
    I hope to god they dont have that many apps.....the only App on the iphone I really really like is Shazam, other than that I could care less about them.....
    so don't get them? Why wouldn't you want a lot of apps available for the people who do want them? I got this device for entertainment as much as it's email and business capabilities. I'm hoping for lots of games and cool apps.
    02-10-09 04:23 AM
    so are you saying that the BBS doesnt have a special VP Card?

but will we be able to get a lot of stuff, even if it is not as great quality
    It does have one. It's just not being utilized yet.
    02-10-09 04:58 AM
    It does have one. It's just not being utilized yet.
    are you sure?
    02-10-09 05:05 AM

I think people are just getting anxious and maybe a little worried that their device won't be utilized to its fullest potential. For me, I will be honest, if the iphone was on verizon then I would probably have that. I hated at&t though. I just hate seeing such great games and apps for the iphone and then going back to playing tiltris or even seeing new blackberry games and apps that aren't compatible. In the end of January the storm sales hit 1 million. I'm just hoping that a community that big can shout loud enough and to the right people to get some really great stuff. I think the purpose of a lot of these threads is just to rally the base and get them motivated to fight for what they want. It's WAY too early to really complain about the lack of games or apps, but never too early to express interest and have a dialog about it.
    02-10-09 05:13 AM
    I think people are just getting anxious and maybe a little worried that their device won't be utilized to its fullest potential. For me, I will be honest, if the iphone was on verizon then I would probably have that. I hated at&t though. I just hate seeing such great games and apps for the iphone and then going back to playing tiltris or even seeing new blackberry games and apps that aren't compatible. In the end of January the storm sales hit 1 million. I'm just hoping that a community that big can shout loud enough and to the right people to get some really great stuff. I think the purpose of a lot of these threads is just to rally the base and get them motivated to fight for what they want. It's WAY too early to really complain about the lack of games or apps, but never too early to express interest and have a dialog about it.
    I completely agree with you there. I dislike AT&T which is why I'm still with VZW otherwise I would have the Iphone. In my opinion, VZW is a far superior service and I'm not going to switch to a phone to have 15k apps but can't make a call somewhere when I need to.

I also agree that it is still way too early to be comparing the Iphone which has been out for a couple of years to the Storm which has been out for a couple months.

It's going to take knowing the right people, who know how to program the java, to make the apps. I have seen several apps on Iphone which I'd love to see made for the Storm but have no idea myself. I've looking into the programming myself and I tell ya, if you did not study it for years in school, good luck learning it on your own, especially in a short amount of time. There are so many different variables it's crazy intimidating.

I'd like to see a sticky opened for application suggestions that developers could visit for ideas for applications. I personally have a ton of ideas and I don't care if someone else makes the program and takes the credit for it. Maybe I could get the first copy free before they start charging. (Either way I think that would be a good official thread to have started.)
    Last edited by rcdeck; 02-10-09 at 09:24 AM.
    02-10-09 09:22 AM
    Maybe it's because we're getting sick of the answer we keep getting.

Hardware itself. Before the Storm was released, we got hit with "Coming Soon" for 3 months...with no release date.

Theme. When the phone came out and people realized there was only the default theme, they started asking "When will we be able to download new themes for the device?" - and we got told "Just as soon as Plasmic releases the software to allow developers to create new themes".

Well, the phone's been out 3 months now...raise your hand if you're running a theme other than the default Zen theme. Anyone?

Applications. "Storm version coming soon". Waiting...patiently.

OS Updates. Check out the threads on the OS discussion sub-board if you want to see some folks who are foaming at the mouth for an update.

I know, I know...early adopter and all. I'm fine with not really having much for the phone over Christmas, since it came out just before Thanksgiving but, some folks are getting pretty sick of "Just be patient, it's coming soon" as an answer to every question...especially on month #3.

The Lightsaber guy (dmglakewood) commented, when he posted the app, that "This is 4-5 hours of my life I will never get back.". Read that carefully...it took him FOUR hours to write the app. Imagine what kind of apps someone could write if they spent ONE WHOLE DAY on it.
    02-10-09 10:12 AM
    quick solution for most of us ...

pick up an itouch for $199 ... best of both worlds. Get access to all the apps on apple, and keep coverage on verizon. It makes the "waiting for the storm app store" alot easier
    02-10-09 10:24 AM
    Thats what I did. Only problem is I get used to using my blackberry with the click screen and I'm beating hard on my itouch. Itouch has a much nicer facebook app.
    02-10-09 12:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD