I didnt see one of these started yet and I would like to get other peoples opinion on how well this hybrid functions... Try to keep on topic, Cons in red Pros in Blue. Also, be sure to specify whether you are running with 90 radio, 148 radio or another radio of your choice
    05-28-09 09:37 AM
    Downloaded this leak right at midnight. Did a few battery pulls as is suggested, although I didn't know three were suggested I've always done one right after the loading. Anyways I booted up at around 45 mb's. Waited an hour and checked my phone memory. I thought my phone had a stroke or something because I was already down in the low thirties. Getting to the point I did my last battery pull at five this morning. Booted at like 44. It is now 10:54 and I'm down to 19 mb
    05-28-09 09:54 AM
    Downloaded this leak right at midnight. Did a few battery pulls as is suggested, although I didn't know three were suggested I've always done one right after the loading. Anyways I booted up at around 45 mb's. Waited an hour and checked my phone memory. I thought my phone had a stroke or something because I was already down in the low thirties. Getting to the point I did my last battery pull at five this morning. Booted at like 44. It is now 10:54 and I'm down to 19 mb
    What OS did you load v6 over? What apps are you running? How many and which themes you have? Because I can assure you that it's the OS that's doing it!!!
    05-28-09 10:02 AM
    Wow, that sounds like something is off, I cant imagine that BBCM would release a hybrid with a leak like that...I will comment on my findings momentarily...I also loaded after midnight last night but my phone is on auto turnoff until 8am (mainly bc I dont like to take calls before then) so I will see if I have the same problem----are you using the 90 or 148 radio?
    05-28-09 10:05 AM
    ok, still havent had a chance to test memory leak, but here are my initial impressions (btw, I am using the 90 radio, installed over 148, and I may switch to the 148 radio depending
    Although I have not been big on the whole "color banding" thing, I tried the 90 radio and I have to admit that there is a LOT more color... I had no idea what I wasmissing but I guess I will have to d/l a theme now, just to check that out.
    I booted at 49.4 (was typically booting around 51.5 with BBCMv5 and 148 radio so not too far off...So far so good, lets see if it leaks
    05-28-09 10:21 AM
    I downloaded this as well. Like always, after every leak, you think this thing is the fasted thing out there. The changes are very suttle. People talking about the browser being faster. Placebo folks! Always has been. My co-worker who still has 75 can keep up browsing with the leaks and this hybrid as well. In fairness, the only thing I notice is that more often then not, the browser will be more consistant with loading sites. I may beat him 6 out of 10 times, but not by much. If you call this being way faster then I don't know what to tell you. Everything else is what you want to make of it in your minds. Some will see what they want to see, others will say not much of a difference. The bottom line for me is that my phone has not frozen at all on the previous two leaks. In summary, most of you will scream and hollor about how fast this thing is and after about a week, your placebo effect will wear off and you will realize that it's not that much different then the others. I give props to those who are trying to make this phone better. It is what it is my friends. Regardless of what people are saying, the Storm, even with 75 software is a very good blackberry.
    05-28-09 10:21 AM
    Just for everyone's info, .90 does tend to use a little more memory than the newer builds
    05-28-09 10:22 AM
    I downloaded this as well. Like always, after every leak, you think this thing is the fasted thing out there. The changes are very suttle. People talking about the browser being faster. Placebo folks! Always has been. My co-worker who still has 75 can keep up browsing with the leaks and this hybrid as well. In fairness, the only thing I notice is that more often then not, the browser will be more consistant with loading sites. I may beat him 6 out of 10 times, but not by much. If you call this being way faster then I don't know what to tell you. Everything else is what you want to make of it in your minds. Some will see what they want to see, others will say not much of a difference. The bottom line for me is that my phone has not frozen at all on the previous two leaks. In summary, most of you will scream and hollor about how fast this thing is and after about a week, your placebo effect will wear off and you will realize that it's not that much different then the others. I give props to those who are trying to make this phone better. It is what it is my friends. Regardless of what people are saying, the Storm, even with 75 software is a very good blackberry.
    Yes, I am sure that the browsing speed is the same on 75 as with the 5.0 browser, and that your observations are correct, and 99% of the cb community who use that browser and state that it is faster (including me, based on side by side comparisons loading sites next to a 75 ver) are wrong. Dont test just on google or mobile optimized sites--- go to real, full feature sites like cbs sportsline or espn and tell me that 75 is "just as fast 4/10 times." And of course, 75 is just as fast in transitions, going from program to program, dialing out calls, etc...And we just have a placebo effect each time we upgrade, even though there are 73 builds or improvements in OS btw 75 and 148. So basically RIM is just sitting around making inconsequential improvements all of this time, with no performance added!! And since it is a placebo effect, then I am sure that you are still running 75, arent you? Or are you suffering from the placebo effect too?
    05-28-09 10:34 AM
    I have the same memory problem. Idont install apps, and i install clan copy of .148.

I have lag when typing.

Lyridical is better...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-09 11:05 AM

It appears that by restoring data all of the time from upgrade to upgrade, one of the databases may become corrupt. It is the restore process that can be a problem. This is how I resolved the problem and got rid of the memory leaks:

I did a "wipe handheld", reloaded .148, but instead of restoring all of my settings, data, 3rd party apps, etc. I just synced my Outlook calendar and address book, and only restored my Password Keeper data and my Custom Word List. I then reloaded my 3rd party apps from the beginning.

I have been running now for over 48 hours. I began with 48mb (the most ever) and I am still at 40mb. This stable memory situation has not happened for me in quite a while. I am quite pleased. This morning I loaded BBCrackman's V6-148 and it is running well. I used the same procedure as above. While it's a PIA, it's well worth the results.
    05-28-09 11:11 AM
    I have the same memory problem. Idont install apps, and i install clan copy of .148.

I have lag when typing.

Lyridical is better...

Did you do 3 60-second battery pulls after the install?
    05-28-09 11:18 AM
    I installed yesterday Lyricidal with .90. Started with 39 MB and continued to drop to 33 without any applications installed. I was surprised today in the morning when my BB memory showed 53 MB. My BB was not even at charge and I have not done any battery pull at all.

Back to BBCrackman today. I just installed the one with .90 without any applications. The memory stand at 49 MB.
    I did one time battery pull to see how that will effect the memory. I am really surprised it shows 59 MB.

I will give it a day or two to see how that work.
    05-28-09 11:41 AM
    This OS is like butter ... smooth. Loving the .90 sfi too

No Restarts yet - Shrunk the OS too.

Very Happy - thanks BBC
    05-28-09 12:37 PM
    Stable memory. Booted at 48mb (compared to 43 with lyricdal), loaded the OS at 12am last night, its now 11am and the memory hasnt dropped below 41mb and battery is only 2%/hr. Battery life and memory stablity has improved tons over my recent lyricdal .148/5.0/.90 and I have only done one battery pull so far (i always do 3+ but its been fine and I have no need to).

No downsides yet as it has only been a little while, I also loaded each app back manualy and didnt backup anything, which im told helps alot with memory. I will report back soon.
    05-28-09 12:51 PM
    It appears that by restoring data all of the time from upgrade to upgrade, one of the databases may become corrupt. It is the restore process that can be a problem. This is how I resolved the problem and got rid of the memory leaks:

I did a "wipe handheld", reloaded .148, but instead of restoring all of my settings, data, 3rd party apps, etc. I just synced my Outlook calendar and address book, and only restored my Password Keeper data and my Custom Word List. I then reloaded my 3rd party apps from the beginning.

I have been running now for over 48 hours. I began with 48mb (the most ever) and I am still at 40mb. This stable memory situation has not happened for me in quite a while. I am quite pleased. This morning I loaded BBCrackman's V6-148 and it is running well. I used the same procedure as above. While it's a PIA, it's well worth the results.
    Ive seen this mentioned before and I would like to try.. I am not worried about my contacts coming back because I use google sync and have all of my contacts synced there (and on my enterprise server). Is there any way to back up the emails only if I am not using outlook?
    05-28-09 01:12 PM

That is what I had to do as well this does work.
    05-28-09 01:19 PM
    That is what I had to do as well this does work.
    I would also like to know if it makes a difference if I reinstall my third party apps through desktop manager (rather than as a restore or OTA) if that makes a difference, since I had backed up my third party apps separately (through my desktop manager, per Civic's instructions) and now have them all installed on my computer? Anyone know the answer or tested this?
    05-28-09 01:24 PM
    Does anyone know how to fix the Automation Dim light feature?
    I installed this OS, and about 5 seconds from not seeing light the phone becomes dim.
    Its annoying as ****.
    05-28-09 01:27 PM
    Does anyone know how to fix the Automation Dim light feature?
    I installed this OS, and about 5 seconds from not seeing light the phone becomes dim.
    Its annoying as ****.
    Go into options-->screen/keyboard-->Backlight timeout--> and you can change this option from there
    05-28-09 01:29 PM
    I changed it a million times
    Back and forth
    Nothing seems to be changing.
    05-28-09 01:38 PM
    V6 with .90 froze up on me 2x. It happened both times when switching back and forth between running apps by holding the BB key down. Too bad too, the color was great. I'm on V6 .148 radio now. No probs as of yet.

05-28-09 02:28 PM
    removed the battery 3 times at intervals of 60sec, as you have suggested and I am a 47mo and then restart its descent. I do not know how you do to be in the 50MB. I have no software to install, no theme?

I am with telus and by default, I have lots of stuff in the parameter "services", style: radio telus, telus web. Does it uses the memory even if I did not install the application?
    05-28-09 02:47 PM
    I paid for VIP Memebrship status at BBOS 3 days ago so that I could test run the new hybrid. I downloaded the .90 version. The first day it ran great. The browser was really fast and the color was much better. The next day, my battery started to drain quicker and so did my memory. I started at 51 at startup and it drained to 28 in 14 hrs. I didn't have any freezes though. The 3rd day, the browser is running so slow and the battery drains way to quick. I've had the VSOD appear 3 times today. That is the first time that has happened since I've owned the phone. I've also had 4 random reboots for no reason and the phone freezes up. The .90 version is complete crap on my phone. I will be downloading the .148 version later today to see if that make it any better. I do want to mention that I did do the 3 60 second battery pulls after installing the new OS. I just don't understand how a phone goes from running great to running like total ****. If the .148 version doesn't work I will be going back to Lyricadal's hybrid. Never had these issues with his hybrids.
    Last edited by sezaro21; 05-28-09 at 02:54 PM.
    05-28-09 02:50 PM
    removed the battery 3 times at intervals of 60sec, as you have suggested and I am a 47mo and then restart its descent. I do not know how you do to be in the 50MB. I have no software to install, no theme?

I am with telus and by default, I have lots of stuff in the parameter "services", style: radio telus, telus web. Does it uses the memory even if I did not install the application?
    I use lyricidal Shrink-A-OS for Lyricidal hybrid, BBCrackman Hybrid, or any other
    That will give it a push into 50's.
    05-28-09 03:04 PM
    Noboby have some lag when typing ?
    05-28-09 03:14 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD