i was wondering if it covers instant messaging like aim, and i was also wondering if the $30 plan is unlimited. I've been hearing many different stories going back and forth and i wanted to know because i have just ordered my BB Storm and I would like to know how everything works before i open it so i could switch it or resell it. Any help would be greatly appreciated
    12-22-08 09:04 PM
    IM's go as text messages and yes the $30 package is unlimited.
    12-22-08 09:06 PM
    With the $30 data plan, instant messaging is covered- it only uses data.

Also, with the $30 data plan, it is not truly "unlimited" in the sense. You are limited to 5GB per month and is not meant for data streaming or full time (100% constant) internet connections.

Conversely, txt/picture messaging are not covered in the $30 data plan. Be sure to have some sort of txt/picture messaging package-- otherwise ur charged for each individual message.
    12-22-08 09:07 PM
    im confused again so with the $30 is instant messaging covered and can be used unlimited? or what
    12-22-08 09:09 PM
    IMs only count as txt messages if you use the IM client that verizon provides. The AIM, YAHOO, etc I'm clients that you can download off the blackberry's site use data, and yes the 30 data package is unlimited.
    You can also download a trial of JiveTalk, which is a great 3rd party IM client that only uses data not txt messages.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by bb_bold; 12-22-08 at 09:12 PM.
    12-22-08 09:09 PM
    Yes, bb_bold is absolutely correct. I forgot all about the Verizon IM client (thanks for mentioning that bb_bold). BUT, all the others he listed: aim, Y!, etc, that are available as separate apps, all use strictly data.
    12-22-08 09:11 PM
    IMs only count as txt messages if you use the IM client that verizon provides. The AIM, YAHOO, etc I'm clients that you can download off the blackberry's site use data, and yes the 30 data package is unlimited.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    oh i see thanks =) it really helps. i was soo close to reselling it because i thought the $30 was going to be a waste >.< and just to get it clear i can use aim on the storm and the $30 bb plan covers it completely right? is there a limit to aim?
    12-22-08 09:11 PM
    Yes, bb_bold is absolutely correct. I forgot all about the Verizon IM client (thanks for mentioning that bb_bold). BUT, all the others he listed: aim, Y!, etc, that are available as separate apps, all use strictly data.
    is there a limit to the usage of aim?
    12-22-08 09:12 PM
    No limit as it would be near impossible to use 5GB of data in a month's time using AIM for chatting ;-) So, you "should" be good to go!! ;-)
    12-22-08 09:27 PM
    is there a limit to the usage of aim?
    No. I would think it would be completely impossible to use 5GB of data with AIM in a month.
    12-22-08 09:30 PM
    No limit as it would be near impossible to use 5GB of data in a month's time using AIM for chatting ;-) So, you "should" be good to go!! ;-)
    sweet. thank you soo much you have no idea how much this has helped me. i was so close to trading the phone in but the idea of giving up the bb storm was too great so i had to drain all the info out of verizon and such hehe =D thanks again! =D and i think your a great person for staying on this thread and helping me. if we could rate each comment id spam you with 5 stars hehe =D
    12-22-08 09:30 PM
    i want to thank everyone who replied to this thread as each and every comment was very helpful.
    12-22-08 09:32 PM
    No problem twistidazn.... glad to be able to help out.

Take care and see you on the forums ;-)

Regards,
    Taskbar
    12-22-08 09:34 PM
    thanks again hehe i just hope nothing changes =S but yeah may i add you to my buddy list? =D i mean its fine if you don't want me to but yeah i just thought you were very helpful =D
    12-22-08 09:36 PM
    thanks again hehe i just hope nothing changes =S but yeah may i add you to my buddy list? =D i mean its fine if you don't want me to but yeah i just thought you were very helpful =D
    Why sure ;-) I added you to mine just now... hehe....
    12-22-08 09:37 PM
    Why sure ;-) I added you to mine just now... hehe....
    =) buddy #1 wewt hehe new to the forums and you've made this experience more enjoyable.
    12-22-08 09:41 PM
    =) buddy #1 wewt hehe new to the forums and you've made this experience more enjoyable.
    I'm new on this site as well. Also new to blackberry (including the Storm). I've only had mine since Tuesday of last week. I upgraded from LG V (vx9800) that I've had for a 2.5 years. Wow, how time flies... hehehe...
    12-22-08 09:45 PM
    I'm new on this site as well. Also new to blackberry (including the Storm). I've only had mine since Tuesday of last week. I upgraded from LG V (vx9800) that I've had for a 2.5 years. Wow, how time flies... hehehe...
    oh wow awsome =) im upgrading from the 1st gen chocolate hehe very old school but i can't wait till i get my storm i ordered it yesterday and the lady said it would come in before the 23rd but when i checked the tracking it says the 24th around 7 pm pacific i can't wait to use aim on it hehe aim replaces the texting since texting + the bb plan is costly
    12-22-08 09:50 PM
    Hopefully u will get it in time for Christmas. I do have a 250 messaging plan for $5. I might just end up dropping it though. I will see how it goes after this first month of service.

I've used AIM and the others, but I still have a few folks who txt me because that is their only means of communication for *free*.

Also, I do receive some alerts (weather), but once I settle in with a good "stable" app for my phone, I will do away with the alerts too- and hence perhaps my 250 txt messaging package.

;-)
    12-22-08 09:54 PM
    Hopefully u will get it in time for Christmas. I do have a 250 messaging plan for $5. I might just end up dropping it though. I will see how it goes after this first month of service.

I've used AIM and the others, but I still have a few folks who txt me because that is their only means of communication for *free*.

Also, I do receive some alerts (weather), but once I settle in with a good "stable" app for my phone, I will do away with the alerts too- and hence perhaps my 250 txt messaging package.

;-)
    good thinking and hopefully you find that app soon =)
    12-22-08 09:59 PM
    good thinking and hopefully you find that app soon =)
    Yup, I hope so ;-)
    12-22-08 10:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD