I have a Blackberry Storm 9530 on Verizon and really like it. The one thing that has been concerning me is that I notice that the reception bars are all over the place. I can have 5 full bars and tehn walk 20 feet and it will jump to 0 bars. Or even when I am sitting at my desk I notic it will ocassionally jump around.

Has anyone else been experianceing this? And is it normal? Any help would be appreciated.

c
    01-07-09 09:06 PM
    Mine is also like this where as my Voyager kept full bars. Any tips?
    01-19-09 08:17 PM
    never had that happen..
    01-19-09 08:26 PM
    Mine does that as well, although I haven't noticed any loss of signal during
    a call. ???
    01-19-09 08:29 PM
    I have the same issue as well
    01-19-09 08:36 PM
    I've experienced a lot of dropped calls since I've gotten this storm.
    01-19-09 08:39 PM
    Mine does that as well, although I haven't noticed any loss of signal during
    a call. ???
    I've never dropped a call either and my internet access has been very zippy even with the bars going all goofy 24/7. I took it out of "Global" mode but that didn't really make a difference either.
    01-20-09 12:38 AM
    I have a Blackberry Storm 9530 on Verizon and really like it. The one thing that has been concerning me is that I notice that the reception bars are all over the place. I can have 5 full bars and tehn walk 20 feet and it will jump to 0 bars. Or even when I am sitting at my desk I notic it will ocassionally jump around.

Has anyone else been experianceing this? And is it normal? Any help would be appreciated.

c
    Same here on a GSM Storm 9500. I'm on my second Storm and the first one was displaying this, too. It's an issue that lots of people are having - it seems to be present on both the UMTS and EV-DO versions of the device (so there's hoping it's a software bug).

The main problem with this is that constant changes in signal strength cause the transmission power to constantly go up. When the phone thinks it has bad reception, it'll start transmitting full throttle - this kills battery life.
    The iPhone 3G showed the exact same behavior - after Apple managed to fix the problem with a firmware update, battery life improved drastically for most users.

I'm basically claiming that the bad battery life some people are seeing is directly related to the signal-bar issue.

Peter
    Last edited by kis; 01-20-09 at 12:51 AM.
    01-20-09 12:49 AM
    You can try *228 and then option 2 to update your PRL. That might help a bit, but really you are probably just situated between towers. As the load fluctuates on the towers, one might give a stronger signal than the other, and your phone jumps. I wouldn't worry about it unless you experience dropped calls or call quality issues.
    01-20-09 12:53 AM
    You can try *228 and then option 2 to update your PRL. That might help a bit, but really you are probably just situated between towers. As the load fluctuates on the towers, one might give a stronger signal than the other, and your phone jumps. I wouldn't worry about it unless you experience dropped calls or call quality issues.
    I did this and it created no change. The Storm is the first Verizon phone I've had to flux like this at home.
    01-20-09 12:56 AM
    Like I said, I wouldn't really worry about it. There are plenty of scenarios where it's purely coincidental and had absolutely nothing to do with the phone.
    01-20-09 01:00 AM
    Like I said, I wouldn't really worry about it. There are plenty of scenarios where it's purely coincidental and had absolutely nothing to do with the phone.
    Yes thanks for the feedback! Like I said, the service never manifests a problem just the bar. Probably something that will be fixed in new firmware.
    01-20-09 01:14 AM
    im the exact opposite, i have never dropped a call and i have more service with this phone that i have ever had with any phone...
    01-20-09 01:27 AM
    never had a call dropped but my signal is all over the place. I do notice my internet speed varying a lot also

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-09 03:16 AM
    I have had a few missed calls when the bars went to 0
    and while talking on the phone I have people telling that they cant understand me because I am fading in and out.
    Not only do I loose my bars, but it also drops to 1X as well. I live just outside of Washington DC....
    I keep looking out the window but so far I have not seen all those Verizon people that everyone says they have.
    My wifes Env2 holds 4 bars with no problem.
    I did have one CS rep tell me that the phone is so far advanced that a computer modem will mess with it......
    I love my storm....
    just wish it had better connection....
    01-20-09 01:33 PM
    been there myself, its the only Verizon phone that I had call quality issues. Anyway - go to Options - Mobile Network ... make sure your Network Selection Mode is set to "Automatic" and the Network Technology is set to "1XEV".

See if this improves your signal strength.

For me it did ... however I still had call quality issues, so Verizon sent me a new replacement - which so far is MUCH better than the first one !! Good Luck.
    01-20-09 08:13 PM
    My bars on my Storm does the same thing. It bounces all over the place at my house lol, I could get max bars sometimes and othertimes i get under 3 and I see 0 a lot more than under 3.
    01-20-09 08:30 PM
    I wish I had my old blackberry back, the reception is terrible and my voice cuts in and out on calls AND it happens at home, 100 miles away, location doesn't seem to matter
    02-16-09 04:05 PM
    My storm has exhibited poor voice quality as well as crazy signal jumps since the day I bought it. I have also experienced many dropped calls and failed calls since I "upgraded" to the storm. These are all issues which I have never experienced before switching to the storm and I have been with Verizon for about two years now. Its a real bummer
    02-16-09 04:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD