BB Storm: Sucks.

I have a Palm Treo and I thought I�d upgrade to a better system. Well Storm isn�t it. Battery life is non existent if you actually utilize the services available. The click is annoying because first you have to highlight and then click. Not very audible but annoying to use. The subtle touch screen of Palm is MUCH better. You can sit with the storm for hours and still be better off doing something else because you don't get anywhere with it.

I also had random menu options pop up in spanish. Like when I had the keypad up and tap on the three buttons on top, they came out in spanish. Then in Blackberry chat, the menu buttons on the bottom also showed in spanish. All of my language settings were in US English. I triple checked.

Texts I sent were received an average of 2 hours later. This never happened with the Treo. And while I could do smiley faces in BB text, they were no longer available in SMS. My texting capability slowed down considerably to the point that I would rather call than text-which is so not me.

Oh yeah and since I have a mac, syncronizing is pure torture just to end up with contacts and that�s it. Pocketmac doesn�t do media, doesn�t to calendar� I can�t transfer anything over from Palm except the contacts.

For the record, to do a hard reset of the Storm, OPTIONS; SECURITY OPTIONS; GENERAL SETTINGS; SERVICES; WIPE HANDHELD. This took hours to figure out because nobody online said it right. And for the record, when I did the hard reset and turned it back on, it said my data card was corrupted. Thanks. Now I know I got a defective machine. Never buy from a kiosk, just go directly to the store for best service.

All things considered, it was a noble attempt from BB to woo future PDA/Smartphone people, but this isn't it. If I wasn't going to return it tomorrow I would have thrown it a few dozen times. I've only had this for 3 days.

So tomorrow I go and try to return the sucker and return to the Treo for now. iPhone is tempting but the $$$ involved is not quite worth it just yet.
    01-11-09 07:03 AM
    should have put this in the rants and raves section but hope you can get it returned ok sorry you didnt like it
    01-11-09 07:07 AM
    No need to apologize because he didn't like it,if its not for you take it back and stick with palm,the pre is coming and it looks good,there are plenty of us that love our storm,but if you think for a second that the treo can come close to the storm or any other bb for that matter then your on the right website because your smoking crack,the treo is one of the worse smartphones ever made,so see ya,and I hope your happy with your treo "dumbphone"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapf
    orums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by castlerock611; 01-11-09 at 07:38 AM.
    01-11-09 07:35 AM
    This is his opinion, we should all respect his Opinion whatever we like or dislike the BB.....

i like the storm and i took the same hard decision to dump the Treo for the storm.

what i can say my friend for now ,,,,, Storm is still a new device BB ever made yet, new technology, and all together as far as hardware issue could be a problem but as software, we still have a long way to go. they are doing their best fixing the bugs .... give it a time

or just say goodbye to Crackberry.com
    01-11-09 07:43 AM
    Treo battery life is better?? Yeah right. That's why I carried an xtra battery which I had to change by noon everyday with my 700 and 755. I agree, the Storm was a major let down (except for the screen- very impressive). If you want to upgrade, the curve is the way to go as far as bb for vzw right now. This is from a treo user to another. - left my palm last summer for the curve. The treo can not compare. Don't let your storm experience be your basis for you bb experience. This year should be promising with the niagra (fingers crossed). Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-09 07:43 AM
    So you just joined the forum and on your very first post you...what? Talk about how good you like your treo better than the storm.

Come on, are you serious?
    01-11-09 07:45 AM
    someone bad talks storm and now this thread is gonna stay on main page all d@mn day.....a mod really needs to move this to the rants and raves section please
    01-11-09 07:46 AM
    if they wont move it maybe we can get it closed due to being off topic....

so has anyone seen Grand Torino yet? any good? I was thinking about catching it this afternoon
    01-11-09 07:52 AM
    Can you guys argue that the problems the op had weren't ridiculous? Come on Castlerock, calling the treo a dumbphone because you love your berry is just as bad as the Apple kids calling every other phone stupid b/c they have an iPhone! As for Blueberry09, I'm sorry your first experience with BB was like that, but I have read more "Storm Problem" threads on this site than I can shake a stick at! I wouldn't go back to the Treo though. Try a well used Blackberry model, such as the Curve!
    01-11-09 08:06 AM
    Battery life is a strange thing with the Storm. A lot of ppl are reporting terrible battery life in the beginning which then improves over time. Myself, I took mine off the charger Friday AM and still have 25% left

RIM is coming out with mac sync support soon I believe. I don't use a mac (hate anything Apple except the fruit) so I can't say when.
    01-11-09 08:07 AM
    My battery life was better on my Treo too. Of course, I spend about 5x as much time on my Storm, which might have something to do with it.

01-11-09 08:55 AM
    I've only had this for 3 days.
    'Nuff' said......
    01-11-09 09:13 AM
    I don't use a mac (hate anything Apple except the fruit)
    Agreed, 100%. To the point to where I'd rather carry my Storm and my Zune than an Ianything.
    01-11-09 09:27 AM
    I think that people should take more time to research products before they purchase them. There are so many forums out there, such as crackberry, that people can go on and see what others have to say about the device. Also, you can visit the manufacturer web site that will provide you with information regarding specifications and compatability. Then there's the fact that you can go to a local store and play with the different display devices and you don't have to buy anything until you are ready. Whatever device you go to, the comments that you made have been posted over and over and over again. Return the Storm, go back to a Treo and then go onto one of their forums and talk about how much you love it (or hate it).
    01-11-09 09:47 AM
    I find it interesting a complete smartphone newbie like me has had a much easier time making the transition.

-Under heavy use, the most I've been able to drain the phone is 60% in 24 hours.

-If you find the click annoying, then clearly, you did not do your research before purchasing the device.

-I'm not sure what you're doing to get Spanish words to show up. With initial set up, any languages you aren't using can be deleted off the device.

-I've sent hundreds of texts in the 3 weeks I've owned it and haven't experienced delay delivery (so far as I know)

-Using Google Sync can easily sync contacts and calendar entries. I have synced my iCal with Google Calendar. So any changes I make on my Mac will be refreshed every 5 minutes into Google Calendar and will be synchronized automatically over the air into my Blackberry. I happen to use the Apple Address Book as well and have it synced with my Gmail contacts. Which, Google Sync will also kindly take over to my Blackberry. Lastly I enabled media mode which has allowed me to swiftly drag and drop music/photos/videos to my phone like a regular ole thumbdrive

-Lastly, if you took the time to read the materials packaged with the phone, or go to blackberry.com to download the manual, you would have found all you needed to perform hard resets and reformat your media card if it were to be corrupted.

You just sound like a whiner. Rather unintelligent too if you consider that a smartphone newbie was able to figure all this out without having to come here and vent like a child.

I have a Palm Treo and I thought I�d upgrade to a better system. Well Storm isn�t it. Battery life is non existent if you actually utilize the services available. The click is annoying because first you have to highlight and then click. Not very audible but annoying to use. The subtle touch screen of Palm is MUCH better. You can sit with the storm for hours and still be better off doing something else because you don't get anywhere with it.

I also had random menu options pop up in spanish. Like when I had the keypad up and tap on the three buttons on top, they came out in spanish. Then in Blackberry chat, the menu buttons on the bottom also showed in spanish. All of my language settings were in US English. I triple checked.

Texts I sent were received an average of 2 hours later. This never happened with the Treo. And while I could do smiley faces in BB text, they were no longer available in SMS. My texting capability slowed down considerably to the point that I would rather call than text-which is so not me.

Oh yeah and since I have a mac, syncronizing is pure torture just to end up with contacts and that�s it. Pocketmac doesn�t do media, doesn�t to calendar� I can�t transfer anything over from Palm except the contacts.

For the record, to do a hard reset of the Storm, OPTIONS; SECURITY OPTIONS; GENERAL SETTINGS; SERVICES; WIPE HANDHELD. This took hours to figure out because nobody online said it right. And for the record, when I did the hard reset and turned it back on, it said my data card was corrupted. Thanks. Now I know I got a defective machine. Never buy from a kiosk, just go directly to the store for best service.

All things considered, it was a noble attempt from BB to woo future PDA/Smartphone people, but this isn't it. If I wasn't going to return it tomorrow I would have thrown it a few dozen times. I've only had this for 3 days.

So tomorrow I go and try to return the sucker and return to the Treo for now. iPhone is tempting but the $$$ involved is not quite worth it just yet.
    01-11-09 10:38 AM
    Well, so your wishes are granted and this was moved to rants/raves. I put it succinctly in the title what this was about and clearly this struck a nerve in you if you felt compelled to reply to the posting. For the well wishers, thanks for seeing beyond yourself to wish me well in my smartphone endeavors.

I did return it today and I feel better. I realize palm isn't the best out there, so chill people. Blackberry isn't the best either, and the storm wasn't the best for my money, especially for the extra costs of the data package. I don't use it for the treo now. I just heard about the pre and it sounds promising.

Don't be sour because I didn't research it to death before I got it, I do have other things to do with my time. And that's what the return policy is for. I did read the manual. The click was annoying because it required two steps to click on something-highlight then click. One click is preferably as is one touch on palm or other platforms. The spanish menu I REPEAT was not due to language settings. I repeatedly checked the language settings and reset it all to US english. I'm telling you I received a defective model.

Being a newbie to this forum doesn't make me a tech newbie, so don't presume that just because I didn't post a million posts on this site that I don't know what I'm talking about...that's what this forum is for, no? I did only have the phone for 3 days, but that's all it took to realize it wasn't the phone for me. I'm glad others are having more luck with it, it just wasn't for me. Thanks for allowing me to share my experience with this phone. If I do return to BB I'll let you know.
    Last edited by bleuberry09; 01-12-09 at 03:21 AM. Reason: update
    01-12-09 03:14 AM
    It does not require two steps to use the click...... Don't be sour because you aren't very bright.
    Oh and my battery lasts all day... I'd say 75% music and 25% call use (still use mt curve for calls so I don't have to stop music when driving or working)
    Make sure you find some palm based boards to complain about how you shouldnt have switched from the storm, I feel like no one here wants to hear it

Last edited by aznheat; 01-12-09 at 05:22 AM.
    01-12-09 05:19 AM
    I would not trade my storm but you should use whatever you are most comfortable with.
    01-12-09 05:54 AM
    I came from a Palm Treo 700p and to be honest, I think the Storm was a great upgrade. I don't know the kind of things you're doing on your phone but I would go to work, chat on it, email constantly, surf the web, and after a 10 hour day, still come home with about 30-40% battery life (20% if it's an extremely slow day).

I actually really liked the highlighting function because it allowed me to choose what I want rather than blindly click them. I rather by sure with the first click, then having to wait for it to load the wrong page and going back and selecting the correct link.

Texting and emailing was fine for me. I didn't happen to see any delays whatsoever. In some instances, I was getting all my gmail on my Storm before it updated on my PC browser!

When I updated everything, I used Outlook and managed to transfer everything over: Contacts (even contact pics), Calender, Memo, and Tasks. I had some trouble getting "Past events" from my Calender but I managed to fix it.

Honestly, my transition from the Treo to the Blackberry Storm was not very steep at all. It was pretty easy and painless. But it seems like your complaint had to do with these two things:

Adaptation: You are terrible at it and we can tell from your frustration. I learned to type on the terrible keyboard by Day 2 and I was typing relatively quick (with the help of SureType). If there was a difference in time spent typing a message, it might be .5 seconds or something immeasurable.

Reception and Phone Service: From the sound of things, you seem to have really terrible reception. I'm assuming this because of your battery life and because you say it takes 2 hours to receive and send a text. Maybe you're in an area that has poor Verizon reception.

In any case, if you think the iPhone is better, I say don't bother. You'll complain about it just the same. Just my two cents as a previous Treo owner.

PS. When I returned my Storm, I found the "Wipe Handheld" workflow on this forum. I think you just weren't using the right keywords.

01-12-09 06:57 PM
    I haaaaatttttttteeeeeeeeeddddddd my Treo. I know some people like it but the Storm is a gigantic upgrade. Just my opinion though. To each his own.
    01-12-09 10:45 PM
    My suggestions:

- do more research before buying a product
    - learn how to use it properly
    - not all reception issues are due to phones (espeically your complaint about delayed text messages)
    - learn how to search the web more efficiently for info
    - just get the iPhone
    01-12-09 11:40 PM
    I haaaaatttttttteeeeeeeeeddddddd my Treo. I know some people like it but the Storm is a gigantic upgrade. Just my opinion though. To each his own.
    The Storm is definitely a gigantic upgrade from the Treo but with that being said, my Treo has never crapped out on me ever and still works like a champ.
    01-13-09 08:32 AM
    Well, so your wishes are granted and this was moved to rants/raves. I put it succinctly in the title what this was about and clearly this struck a nerve in you if you felt compelled to reply to the posting. For the well wishers, thanks for seeing beyond yourself to wish me well in my smartphone endeavors.

I did return it today and I feel better. I realize palm isn't the best out there, so chill people. Blackberry isn't the best either, and the storm wasn't the best for my money, especially for the extra costs of the data package. I don't use it for the treo now. I just heard about the pre and it sounds promising.

Don't be sour because I didn't research it to death before I got it, I do have other things to do with my time. And that's what the return policy is for. I did read the manual. The click was annoying because it required two steps to click on something-highlight then click. One click is preferably as is one touch on palm or other platforms. The spanish menu I REPEAT was not due to language settings. I repeatedly checked the language settings and reset it all to US english. I'm telling you I received a defective model.

Being a newbie to this forum doesn't make me a tech newbie, so don't presume that just because I didn't post a million posts on this site that I don't know what I'm talking about...that's what this forum is for, no? I did only have the phone for 3 days, but that's all it took to realize it wasn't the phone for me. I'm glad others are having more luck with it, it just wasn't for me. Thanks for allowing me to share my experience with this phone. If I do return to BB I'll let you know.
    As far as smart phones go, blackberry is the best. Try a curve and see how it blows your treo away.

01-13-09 09:25 AM
    As far as smart phones go, blackberry is the best. Try a curve and see how it blows your treo away.

Do Treos or the new Pre for that matter offer true push email like BlackBerry?
    01-13-09 09:28 AM
    Just How Many Cereal Killers are out there?

Sheesh.
    01-13-09 10:12 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD