I've had my Storm for about 4-5 months. Never had hardware issues, but had some OS issues which were fixed with OS upgrade.
    I was running on .141 (Storm 9500) and I noticed some screen distortion. Also there was a delay between the moment I'm typing and when the screen actually shows what I'm doing. To explain it better... I was typing a message and the screen showed that I was typing "A" but actually I was typing "4" after I'd hit the .!123 key. The processor and the memory of the phone knew what the **** I'm doing, but the screen didn't display properly. After a while the screen didn't turn on at all, but I could still receive calls, SMS, and I actually took some photos. However, the screen stayed black. I plugged the battery for like 5 times, but it didn't solve the problem.
    After a few hours, I decided to reinstall the OS, and I upgraded to .148. During the process the screen had lighten up and everything seemed to work fine. The screen remained ON as usual during the process. After the installation was complete, I had to "set the settings" but the screen distortion was back. And everything was just like before: once the Storm enters in stand-by it's gone for good.
    One of my friends owns a Bold and he said he had a similar problem. He removed the battery for 12 hours and his phone works great now. I removed the battery for 14-16 hours, turned it ON and the screen is still black.
    If you had a similar issues then please help me. Thanks!
    06-27-09 04:36 AM
    Battery pull w/device on, rite? U cd try uninstalling downloaded theme(s), if u have, but i wd call carrier!
    06-27-09 08:31 AM
    Yes, battery pull with device ON. I didn't download any themes. I didn't buy the Storm from a specific career so it don't have a warranty.
    06-27-09 09:15 AM
    How about options > security options > general settings > menu > wipe handheld but u need 2 do backup 1st. I'm no expert on procedure!!
    06-27-09 09:32 AM
    I made a post about this same problem. All of a sudden last night the same thing started happening and now my screen won't light up. My red light is blinking, so I know it's on.
    06-27-09 12:25 PM
    How about options > security options > general settings > menu > wipe handheld but u need 2 do backup 1st. I'm no expert on procedure!!
    Like said, the screen doesn't light up therefore I can't check the settings or the wipe the smartphone. Also, I already installed a new OS so wiping wouldn't help.
    06-27-09 04:01 PM
    I made a post about this same problem. All of a sudden last night the same thing started happening and now my screen won't light up. My red light is blinking, so I know it's on.
    Yeah, I know. It's frustrating. Instead of displaying the actual homescreen or whatever, I can see a blue hue on the entire screen if you look at a proper angle.
    06-27-09 04:10 PM
    Like said, the screen doesn't light up therefore I can't check the settings or wipe the smartphone.
    What was i thinking?! Distracted!
    06-27-09 06:28 PM
    What was i thinking?! Distracted!
    NP, thank you for trying to help me.
    @barnanimal: can you point me to the thread you submitted? Maybe there is useful information there.
    06-28-09 01:59 AM
    Yeah, I know. It's frustrating. Instead of displaying the actual homescreen or whatever, I can see a blue hue on the entire screen if you look at a proper angle.
    Hello, I have the same problem.. i happened yesterday... and i don't know how but after a lot of battery pulls the screen came back.. but the phone keeps restarting itself for no reason.. and today the screen is blank again... don't know what to do I bought it on ebay in december 08 and I use it with ATT
    06-28-09 06:03 PM
    @pirlok

Your profile shows you have a 9500 (GSM device) and you uploaded .148 which is presumably the VZW 9530 software for CDMA devices. Not a good move. put it back on 9500 software.
    06-28-09 06:58 PM
    I have had the same problem since yesterday. It was running slow and low on battery, so I left it charging. When I unplugged it, it had the black screen all night. I did several battery pulls. Left the battery out overnight. It did turn on for about a half hour this morning but now it's black again. I can hear it ring and my alert chimes but I can't see anything. I bought it off ebay about 4 months ago and it's been perfect. I wonder if Verizon will replace it??? I honestly don't know how to fix it myself.
    06-28-09 07:11 PM
    @pirlok

Your profile shows you have a 9500 (GSM device) and you uploaded .148 which is presumably the VZW 9530 software for CDMA devices. Not a good move. put it back on 9500 software.
    I had .141 before. Now I have .148 which was designed by Vodafone Australia and Fiji for the 9500, it's not the Verizon .148 for 9530. And the problem was here before I upgraded... I only upgraded because of the screen issue.
    06-29-09 01:01 AM
    I have had the same problem since yesterday. It was running slow and low on battery, so I left it charging. When I unplugged it, it had the black screen all night. I did several battery pulls. Left the battery out overnight. It did turn on for about a half hour this morning but now it's black again. I can hear it ring and my alert chimes but I can't see anything. I bought it off ebay about 4 months ago and it's been perfect. I wonder if Verizon will replace it??? I honestly don't know how to fix it myself.
    I don't know if Verizon will fix it for you. They might, but they won't do it for free. Or maybe they will give you a refurbished unit as I'm sure many people returned the phone. I'm just wondering, could it be an OS issue?
    06-30-09 01:34 AM
    Any word on how to resolve this?
    07-02-09 09:39 AM
    Any word on how to resolve this?
    No. I don't think there is a way to solve it individually. It's possible that a wire or something got loose, but I'm not tearing apart the phone. Like said I will head over to a service repair when I'll have some spare time.
    Judging by the fact that there are many users with such problems, it may be a manufacturing issue.
    07-03-09 03:14 AM

I also had the same problem. I received my Storm from a friend who moved on to another phone. My screen went blank after only a month in my possession. I called VZW CS and they said they would replace it (because they couldn't troubleshoot a blankscreen over the phone). I never mentioned that it was a customer supplied phone. It was only in service for 6 months. Since I didn't want to wait until middle of next week for a replacement, I went to a local VZW retailer, explained that I had spoke to CS and they replaced my phone (with a refurb), no questions asked.

There are a few postings on this issue, so I think its becoming a known issue.
    08-08-09 08:50 PM
    hello just 2 let u know i have the same problem and i have just put the old version back on and no change so i put another old version again no diffrent still the black screen if any1 can please help.

ps can not get my network back on either
    07-15-10 02:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD