Hey All

Believe it or not, I'm one of the few people in the world who have never owned a BB . I am about to get a Storm activated on the Telus Network.

Where am I best to go to learn the "BB Basics" either on this site or another site. I've got tons of experience with internet forums but no BB experience at all .

Thanks in advance for bein' gentle with this newb.
    05-30-09 04:06 PM
    First, read through the User Guide that comes on a CD with the phone. If you are buying the phone from a private seller and don't have access to that disc, you can also download the User Guide from RIM's website. Lot's of good beginner information. When you have become comfortable with the everyday use of the phone, then come back here and start reading through the How-To subforum. Lots of good information there, too.
    05-30-09 04:07 PM
    You are gonna love the Storm......Ive had a smile on my face since may 4th. Use the Crackberry forums for help and check the noob section as well. Enjoy!
    05-30-09 04:15 PM
    The best place to start for anybody that is using a BB for the first time is the BlackBerry 101 How-To Lecture Series. After that read through the User Guide as Morf suggested (This was something I did while wait for my storm on launch day) and the Storm Tips, How To & FAQ Forum. If you still have any question, feel free to send me a PM and I'll do my best to answer them for you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by ArmaK; 05-30-09 at 04:38 PM.
    05-30-09 04:35 PM
    I a BB fanatic but hate the storm. I would wait for the Storm 2
    05-30-09 04:37 PM
    I a BB fanatic but hate the storm. I would wait for the Storm 2
    You'll probably hate the Storm 2 as well. It's not like it's a completely differernt phone. The Storm is fantastic on the latest OS.

Grey
    05-30-09 05:45 PM
    the phone blows, dont get excited... if you wanna hack ur way to freedom of memory drains battery pulls accelorometer issues with the leak-of-the-day then get excited... hardware testing is generally not what i pay for
    05-30-09 05:48 PM
    Hey All

Believe it or not, I'm one of the few people in the world who have never owned a BB . I am about to get a Storm activated on the Telus Network.

Where am I best to go to learn the "BB Basics" either on this site or another site. I've got tons of experience with internet forums but no BB experience at all .

You'll love this phone. Reading through the 101 lecture series (under the Blackberry Help menu up top) is a great place to start. You might want to check out these threads as well for app you can put on your Storm:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/bl...a-apps-236712/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/wha...ions-bb-14431/

I was a Win Mobile phone guy for many years. I don't think I'll ever own anything but BB from here on out.

Grey
    05-30-09 05:48 PM
    the phone blows, dont get excited... if you wanna hack ur way to freedom of memory drains battery pulls accelorometer issues with the leak-of-the-day then get excited... hardware testing is generally not what i pay for
    You sound fun! And helpful too.

Grey
    05-30-09 05:50 PM
    The Storm is fantastic on the latest OS.

Grey
    Frankly I disagree with this. If the Storm was so good they would not be dumping it and moving on to storm 2 after less than 1 year. I have a Storm and it is no bargain, had it since day 1 and have been waiting for it to be what they said it would be which now will be never. I am using the latest OS 148 and although way better than the original there is still much to be desired in the hardware which is why it is being discontinued.
    05-30-09 06:10 PM
    Hey All

The best way to get used to it is just that. As with any electronic device, when you switch brands and mfgs amd OS', there's going to be a learning curve with it. My advice? Just jump right into it. The same way you would just jump right into a cold swimming pool or lake in early spring. Or is that just me that does that lol? Anyway, experience is your friend as no one can help you get used to your new phone quite like you can. And if you run into trouble, lol I'm sure there's a huge BB communitty out there somewhere to help you with whatever problems may or may not arise. Good luck and just so you know, I love my storm too.

05-30-09 06:13 PM
    Frankly I disagree with this. If the Storm was so good they would not be dumping it and moving on to storm 2 after less than 1 year. I have a Storm and it is no bargain, had it since day 1 and have been waiting for it to be what they said it would be which now will be never. I am using the latest OS 148 and although way better than the original there is still much to be desired in the hardware which is why it is being discontinued.
    It's just the nature of electronic technology. If you buy a laptop today, it's unlikely that you could buy that same model a year later. Better ideas and methods for getting things done are never ending. But...if you don't buy today's laptop, and decide to wait for the next version, you'll never end up owning/using a laptop...there will always be a better one coming around the corner to wait for. That's just how I see it. If anyone doesn't like their Storm (or whatever phone they have), they should get rid of it and get something else. That would be the nature of our free country and capitalism.

Grey
    05-30-09 06:18 PM
    It's just the nature of electronic technology. If you buy a laptop today, it's unlikely that you could buy that same model a year later. Better ideas and methods for getting things done are never ending. But...if you don't buy today's laptop, and decide to wait for the next version, you'll never end up owning/using a laptop...there will always be a better one coming around the corner to wait for. That's just how I see it. If anyone doesn't like their Storm (or whatever phone they have), they should get rid of it and get something else. That would be the nature of our free country and capitalism.

Grey
    I totally ahree with this. Auto mfgs do the same thing, introduce mid-year models and mske changes to existing models all the time. Seems to me that these kind of things should be expected.

05-30-09 06:24 PM
    It's just the nature of electronic technology. If you buy a laptop today, it's unlikely that you could buy that same model a year later.
    Grey
    I respect your opinion and thoughts but disagree.

I bought a Nikon D3 digital camera a year a year an a half ago, they still make the same model.

I bought a Dell 1420 15 months ago for travel photography stuff, they still make the same model.

I bought a Storm last November, it is already being replaced before it is a year old. Reason is they can't get it to work as well as they said it would work so they have to redesign it.

It works OK and I use it but certainly never lived up to the "iPhone Killer" rating it had near introduction. I will likely replace it with a Storm II after I see how people like it either that or an iPhone. I have faith BB will get it right next time because they took their lumps in the reviews this time. Remember Apple went through the same thing with their iPhone, the first one was pretty much a dog.
    05-30-09 07:07 PM
    Maybe for some the storm is junk. However, to point to the fact that the storm 2 is around the corner as evidence of the original storm being junk is a lame cop-out. By that rationale the IPhone must also be junk since they're working on their third one in about as many years.

I personally love the phone and for me it works as advertised. I've had the storm since march and have to say that its the very best phone for my needs. Yeah, I have my gripes. But there isn't a phone out there that is free from issues. There are things i prefer about android based phones, the IPhone, even winmo phones have some abilities that bb's don't. But it also works the other way. I prefer more features of this phone over other phones so this is the phone I chose. That's why their are so many os' to choose from. Different people like different things.

As far as this phone not being what "they" said, what exactly is missing from this phone that it was advertised to have? Did Verizon or Blackberry mention features or capabilities that this phone does not have? Did Verizon or Blackberry claim this phone would be an IPhone killer? or was that something mentioned in forums like this or tech mags?
    Last edited by lowtech80; 05-30-09 at 07:23 PM.
    05-30-09 07:18 PM
    Maybe for some the storm is junk. However, to point to the fact that the storm 2 is around the corner as evidence of the original storm being junk is a lame cop-out.

As far as this phone not being what "they" said, what exactly is missing from this phone that it was advertised to have? Did Verizon or Blackberry mention features or capabilities that this phone does not have? Did Verizon or Blackberry claim this phone would be an IPhone killer? or was that something mentioned in forums like this or tech mags?
    1. Who said it was "junk"?

2. The screen does not work as advertised, it is pretty bad when it comes to the Internet, very difficult to really even use the browser easily because of the touch screen hat just doesn't get it right. That is why it is being replaced....not because it is a huge success. It probably will be a big success next iteration but the reviews now are pretty sad....if you have missed these you are probably just not looking.

3. You can bet your bottom dollar BB and/or Verizon said iPhone killer, that is how they create a hype....simple! Nothing wrong with that it just fell short this go around.
    05-30-09 07:39 PM
    This was my first baby when I bought it a month ago. I love it. Pm me if you ever need help =].

05-30-09 07:54 PM
    I recommend that you read the literature that comes with the phone and the how-to's and help sections on this site are second to none.
    05-30-09 11:43 PM
    Hey All

Do yourself a favor and upgrade to .148. Also download Quicklaunch, those are probably the two things you can do to the phone to make it live up to expectations.
    05-30-09 11:54 PM
    Do yourself a favor and upgrade to .148. Also download Quicklaunch, those are probably the two things you can do to the phone to make it live up to expectations.
    I 'm a take your word and upgrade from .75, ancient i know!
    05-31-09 04:27 AM
    1. Who said it was "junk"?

2. The screen does not work as advertised, it is pretty bad when it comes to the Internet, very difficult to really even use the browser easily because of the touch screen hat just doesn't get it right. That is why it is being replaced....not because it is a huge success. It probably will be a big success next iteration but the reviews now are pretty sad....if you have missed these you are probably just not looking.

3. You can bet your bottom dollar BB and/or Verizon said iPhone killer, that is how they create a hype....simple! Nothing wrong with that it just fell short this go around.
    In what way does it not work as advertised? Yeah, I know it didn't get good reviews, but most reviewers didn't spend several weeks with the phone. When I got used to the clickscreen, I now prefer it over standard capacative screens. Also most reviewers didn't review on any os past .75. I have no issues typing and can actually type pretty fast with the clickscreen. browser also works well for me. It's a little slower than the iphone, but not by much. Only thing I really miss about the iphone is the next button when entering info into a bunch of different fields.

and neither bb nor verizon ever mentioned that the storm even competes with the iphone. I also don't remember any press releases regarding the storm to mention the iphone. so if you can find one, please feel free to enlighten me.
    06-02-09 05:00 AM
    The best place to start for anybody that is using a BB for the first time is the BlackBerry 101 How-To Lecture Series. After that read through the User Guide as Morf suggested (This was something I did while wait for my storm on launch day) and the Storm Tips, How To & FAQ Forum. If you still have any question, feel free to send me a PM and I'll do my best to answer them for you.

yup.....start from here!!! cant go wrong..
    06-02-09 06:53 AM

Have fun with your storm. When you have the chance to upgrade to 122 or 148. If you need any help, just pm me or look at my sig.
    06-02-09 07:28 AM
    In what way does it not work as advertised? Yeah, I know it didn't get good reviews, but most reviewers didn't spend several weeks with the phone. When I got used to the clickscreen, I now prefer it over standard capacative screens. Also most reviewers didn't review on any os past .75. I have no issues typing and can actually type pretty fast with the clickscreen. browser also works well for me. It's a little slower than the iphone, but not by much. Only thing I really miss about the iphone is the next button when entering info into a bunch of different fields.

and neither bb nor verizon ever mentioned that the storm even competes with the iphone. I also don't remember any press releases regarding the storm to mention the iphone. so if you can find one, please feel free to enlighten me.

Well,

I forgot about this post and just saw your response so I did a quick Google on "iPhone Killer". I didn't read them and really do not expect to find the source of the original use of the term. However here is a sampling there are hundreds more for you to search if you like;

Verizon Bets on RIM's Blackberry Storm as Apple iPhone Killer - Messaging and Collaboration

Smartphone showdown: BlackBerry Storm vs. the iPhone - Network World

It's Official: Blackberry Storm Is No iPhone Killer - PC World

RIM's BlackBerry Storm: Awkward and Disappointing - PC World

RIM BlackBerry Storm | Wired.com Product Reviews

Blackberry Storm: iPhone Killer?

Why the BlackBerry Storm is no iPhone killer � admiral H

Gadget37 - BlackBerry Storm: RIM’s “iPhone killer” bites the dust

It's Official: Blackberry Storm Is No iPhone Killer | ITworld

Taking the World by Storm - Science and Society

You can browse thru them and see if you think everything is fine. After that ask yourself why the clickscreen is being discontinued after 6 months...I got mine on Nov 18th I think or thereabouts which is about 6 months ago and they already have a prototype Storm 2.....with that, enough said from me on the subject. I do have my fingers crossed for Storm 2 and hope Verizion/RIM takes care of us betatesters!
    06-02-09 08:13 PM
    Well,

I forgot about this post and just saw your response so I did a quick Google on "iPhone Killer". I didn't read them and really do not expect to find the source of the original use of the term. However here is a sampling there are hundreds more for you to search if you like;

Verizon Bets on RIM's Blackberry Storm as Apple iPhone Killer - Messaging and Collaboration

Smartphone showdown: BlackBerry Storm vs. the iPhone - Network World

It's Official: Blackberry Storm Is No iPhone Killer - PC World

RIM's BlackBerry Storm: Awkward and Disappointing - PC World

RIM BlackBerry Storm | Wired.com Product Reviews

Blackberry Storm: iPhone Killer?

Why the BlackBerry Storm is no iPhone killer � admiral H

Gadget37 - BlackBerry Storm: RIM’s “iPhone killer” bites the dust

It's Official: Blackberry Storm Is No iPhone Killer | ITworld

Taking the World by Storm - Science and Society

You can browse thru them and see if you think everything is fine. After that ask yourself why the clickscreen is being discontinued after 6 months...I got mine on Nov 18th I think or thereabouts which is about 6 months ago and they already have a prototype Storm 2.....with that, enough said from me on the subject. I do have my fingers crossed for Storm 2 and hope Verizion/RIM takes care of us betatesters!
    sure about that mr beta tester?

RIM CEO: "SurePress is here to stay"

maybe it will be adjusted/altered/upgraded.... but that's the whole point. Moving forward.
    06-02-09 08:32 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD