deleted*

And then I have to re-add everyone, wait until they accept (again) and answer question such as "how many bb pins do you go through?" - "I just had to update my phone".

Anyway of preventing this? (other than not upgrading?)

I would think there is a file for bb contacts and options. No?
    02-24-09 01:54 PM
    You could just use the Desktop Manager to manually reload the backup of BBM data that is made when you install the new OS. DM does a backup of your current data automatically every time you change the OS; I think it ends up in your My Documents folder by default.
    02-24-09 01:59 PM
    But I do do backups, and I reload it, which includes my contacts, messages, notes, etc.. BBM contacts, however, are never included. I thought it was a little strange.
    02-24-09 02:07 PM
    Where can I find the missing folder??

I just lost my entire bbm when I switched and Im not sure where I can recover bbm. More importantly I dont remember the PIN's to my friends will I lose them all>?
    02-24-09 02:15 PM
    you can get it from the apploader

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\AppLoader
    02-24-09 02:19 PM
    I lost my BLACKBERRY MESSENGER contacts also. Once I re-sent my service books, everything returned.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-09 02:25 PM
    you can get it from the apploader

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\AppLoader
    Are you saying to run the loader again?? The first time I did that I lost all of my original information on the phone like my wallpaper and contacts. I think bbm was gone too. After I restored through DM I got all of my information back except bbm and bbMAPS and other apps that were originally on the phone.
    02-24-09 02:26 PM
    Are you saying to run the loader again?? The first time I did that I lost all of my original information on the phone like my wallpaper and contacts. I think bbm was gone too. After I restored through DM I got all of my information back except bbm and bbMAPS and other apps that were originally on the phone.
    That's how i do it.
    Don't for get to back up your device and Backup third party apps...

Then use the how to in my signature if you like made by Don N.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I take the short cut in bold below...
    Make sure OS is installed to PC
    Close Desktop Manager
    Goto
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\AppLoader�..delete the vendor.xml file

Dbl Click the Loader application:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    then I Resend my service books:
    on phone: options > advanced options > host routing tables > BB menu key > register now

or https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw&locale=en

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Restore the backup and third party apps through DM
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pull the battery for 30 seconds to a minute.

Good to go.

I keep a word document filled with quick hints so I don't have to search here.
    It's easier that way, plus I can have info quick for anybody else here who needs it.
    Last edited by neolantis; 02-24-09 at 03:01 PM.
    02-24-09 02:55 PM
    happens to me all the time
    I use apploader too, and still lose my BBM contacts, mainly people i met here and such, so i guess i dont care :-P
    02-24-09 03:42 PM
    Yeah, man, that's the only set back for upgrading to new OSs. If they wouldn't disappear, I'd be experimenting all the time.

Well, cest la vie. I'll just wait a little longer now to upgrade.
    02-24-09 04:10 PM
    If you have backed up before you upgraded your OS, here is how you get your BB Messenger contacts back:

1. Connect your BB to your computer
    2. Start Desktop Manager
    3. Wait until it checks for updates (It shouldn't find any)
    3. Select Backup and Restore from the Main Menu
    4. Select Advanced
    5. On the upper left side, select File, then Open
    6. Select the latest backup file - It should be named either LoaderBackup-(yyyy-mm-dd).ipd or Backup-(yyyy-mm-dd).ipd
    7. Click on Open
    8. Scroll down in the left window and select BlackBerry Messenger
    9. Click the button in the middle that looks like >>
    10. A window will come up and say "The data in the following databases will replace the data on your device. Do you wish to proceed?"
    11. Click Yes
    12. After it completes, click Back, then click Main Menu
    13. Shut down Desktop Manager
    14. Disconnect your BB from your PC

You should have all your BB Messenger contacts back on your phone.
    02-24-09 04:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD