I'm new to BB and my Storm is my first experience and I love it! Anyhow, I have a noobie question about the BB Maps navigation VS the VZ Navigator. Does the BB Maps Navigation charge a fee? It does all that of VZ Nav but does not seem to cost. I have used VZ Nav previously on my Voyager and had to pay a fee but am unsure if there is one associate with BB Maps Navigation...can anyone help?
    11-24-08 07:58 AM
    I was wondering if the garmin software works on this phone also... hmm.
    11-24-08 08:00 AM
    BBMaps
    -Free
    -3rd party
    -over all gps

VZ Nav
    -9.99 a month
    -Verizons software
    -over all agps
    -gives turn by turn because it uses agps

agps (which allows for more exact location allowing turn by turn) is locked while generic gps is unlocked.

Not sure if any of those other paid subscription programs (garmin, telenav, etc) work on this, never tried.
    11-24-08 08:03 AM
    VZ Nav of course has a $10/month fee. BB Maps is free. I am one of the few who love VZ Nav. I have used BB Maps but prefer VZ Nav.
    11-24-08 08:03 AM
    where do u find bb maps?
    11-24-08 08:04 AM
    BB maps is free, i dont think garmin has software for this yet but rumor is its in the works
    11-24-08 08:05 AM
    I had VZ Nav on my Dare and hated it, definetly not worth the 9.99/month they charge. I was very excited when I discovered BB Maps.
    11-24-08 08:05 AM
    where do u find bb maps?
    BB Maps can be found under the applications tab on your Storm
    11-24-08 08:07 AM
    BB Maps is in your application folder. The cost of VZ Nav has already been posted. Google Maps is free. I don't know about Garmin but I know that my Tom Tom can bluetooth link to my Berry for live traffic updates.

Many people will tell you to delete BB maps and VZ Nav if you have googlemaps because it will make your phone perform faster. I caution you - getting rid of VZ Nav is fine but I would advise to keep BB maps b/c it doesn't require an internet connection and googlemaps does. You know that the minute you delete it you'll find yourself in the middle of nowhere w/ no reception or maps!!! Delete BB maps at your own risk...
    11-24-08 08:33 AM
    BB Maps is in your application folder. The cost of VZ Nav has already been posted. Google Maps is free. I don't know about Garmin but I know that my Tom Tom can bluetooth link to my Berry for live traffic updates.

Many people will tell you to delete BB maps and VZ Nav if you have googlemaps because it will make your phone perform faster. I caution you - getting rid of VZ Nav is fine but I would advise to keep BB maps b/c it doesn't require an internet connection and googlemaps does. You know that the minute you delete it you'll find yourself in the middle of nowhere w/ no reception or maps!!! Delete BB maps at your own risk...
    Good thing to know. Thanks for the heads up!
    11-24-08 08:37 AM
    great point.
    11-24-08 08:37 AM
    anyone know if you can track using bbmaps?
    11-24-08 08:54 AM
    Please help. When I open BB Maps it just says trying to locate satellites. I took it outside for about 20 min. and the same thing happened. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    11-24-08 09:00 AM
    I have the same problem and was wondering the same thing. Thank you for asking.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-08 09:56 AM
    Please help. When I open BB Maps it just says trying to locate satellites. I took it outside for about 20 min. and the same thing happened. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Try pulling the Battery see if that fixes anything. I know mine is working fine, in my house and outside.
    11-24-08 10:03 AM
    Go into your GPS settings and make sure it isn't just set to e911.

Anxiously awaiting/assuming that Live Search will have a new release to work with the Storm. Google Maps doesn't even offer traffic in my area, and the Live Search interface is far superior IMO.
    11-24-08 10:23 AM
    BBMaps does use Data, it requires an internet connection to function. I don't know where you get your information but it doesn't have the maps of every single road in the whole US all in a single 1 Meg file.
    11-24-08 10:45 AM
    VZ Nav of course has a $10/month fee. BB Maps is free. I am one of the few who love VZ Nav. I have used BB Maps but prefer VZ Nav.
    I'm on a Premium Family Share plan that includes VZ Nav.
    11-24-08 10:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD