Is BB Maps able to "follow" your current location? Like a stand alone unit i.e. tomtom. I used it the other day and had to continuously swipe the screen w/ my finger to locate my position.
    12-29-08 09:16 AM
    Yes it follows you without swiping.

If you are sinced with satellites it will show a satallites icon above the get directions ico and a number, the number of satallites you are referencing.

If you have not done so you may need to press the GPS Navagation button to the far left bottom corner first to get in navagation mode, presssing a second time takes you out of navagation mode. Once it is in navagation mode it will show the satallite count and your speed to the far left and your position on the map.

You position will be a round circle when you are going real slow or stopped and a pointer when you have a little speed.
    12-30-08 04:13 AM
    I had the same problem today. The arrow indicating that i'm in motion is moving and I have usuall 8 to 12 satellites on me. The prob is as what the op suggests; the arrow
    Moves but the map itself doesn't move and requires a motion to have it "catch up" to the position
    Indicator. Anyone with any ideas on how to correct this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-08 05:15 AM
    The OP is correct - I have the same problem about 50% of the time, and it's nothing the user is doing wrong. Ideas?

BTW, what is the function of the crosshairs when the arrow is active? I thought the crosshairs were just the first cut at the location, before a GPS fix.

I also notice it will drop out of GPS track sometimes when you zoom in or out. Frustrating.
    12-30-08 06:14 AM
    I had a big discussion today with the verizon rep. the VZ navigator will give you directions and keep up with you just fine within their service area. The cross hairs show up when you're not moving (i.e. a stop sign, traffic, etc) The arrow shows movement. I was traveling to Topeka KS on HWY 75 in an extended coverage area, and the VZ navigator did not update my position. The Verizon network verified that the VZ navigator should work as long as I stay on the route, but if I move off the route then it may quit. I stopped to get gas, and it did stop updating. I can't download BB Maps onto my storm because it's not supported. I couldn't use google maps, because of a lack of network coverage.

I hope someone finds a way to get maps onto the storm, and lets us ust it's internal GPS for navigation, even if it doesn't have turn-by-turn like VZ Nav.

I'll be keeping my Magellanwith me the next trip I make and I'll post my results here.

hope this helps a bit
    01-04-09 09:33 PM
    Why isn't BBMaps supported on your Storm? BES limitations of some sort?
    01-04-09 10:59 PM
    That's the error when I go to the BlackBerry site...

VZ Navigator didn't work any better this last trip, neither did Nav4All, or Google Maps.

Verizon did purchase Alltel, so that may open up some coverage areas, but I'm not hanging my hat on that yet.

I'm still looking for a good map to use, and have that map loaded on the BB, not retrieving map data from the network.
    01-09-09 11:29 PM
    I tried to look, but couldn't find a BBmaps dedicated thread. I didn't want to create my own thread. So i Decided to post this here.

if I delete BBmaps from my phone, is it possible to DL it again someday if I ever need to. I've been using google maps for a week and love it. Really don't see a reason to use BBerry maps over google maps... If there is, please let me know.
    01-09-09 11:54 PM
    I tried to look, but couldn't find a BBmaps dedicated thread. I didn't want to create my own thread. So i Decided to post this here.

if I delete BBmaps from my phone, is it possible to DL it again someday if I ever need to. I've been using google maps for a week and love it. Really don't see a reason to use BBerry maps over google maps... If there is, please let me know.
    Yes you can reinstall it if you delete it, just make sure first that you don't have another app that uses it (weatherbug for example). Just use the app loader in DM to reinstall BB Maps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-09 01:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD