My BB Pearl 8100 is dying a slow death. The trackball is starting to lock up every few days. I'm seriously considering moving over to a Storm2. Now, I have a couple of challenges and hoping I can get some guidance.

I have AT&T as my carrier (the device is mine) as part of my corporate phone plan; (my choices are AT&T and Sprint). What I'd like to do is get my hands on a Storm2, unlock it and then move that over to my AT&T plan.

When unlocking the phone will I lose any of the features? Also, is there anything I should know do regarding device activation? Would I just use the same SIM card? Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated.

thanks
    05-11-10 11:18 PM
    everything should work fine except you'll only have EDGE speeds instead of 3g thats the only difference. If you like the pearl alot why not wait till Att releases the Pearl 3G soon
    05-11-10 11:49 PM
    the original reason I went with the pearl was when the 1st generation pearl came out it was the only one with a camera. The camera was something I wanted to take pics when I would be in meetings where I do a lot of whiteboarding with clients, so I could capture pics of what we put on the board. I'd really like to try the touch screen of the storm
    05-12-10 12:48 AM
    The touch screen bold slider is coming out in a few months on AT&T. You should look into that option also. I believe it has a 5mp camera also. But if you can't wait, the Storm2 is great.
    05-12-10 02:11 AM
    Storm2 is great, Storm3 will probably be better in oct/nov. I'd personally go with the slider. But I love my storm2. It's a great device. All I know is that I'll go to the slider if the Storm3 doesn't have a lot higher specs (larger screen, better camera, etc).
    05-12-10 08:34 AM
    I'd wait for the Storm3, or at least OS 6.0
    05-12-10 08:44 AM
    My S2 is the best phone I've owned, but if I had to give up the 3G data speeds, I'd probably look at something else.
    05-12-10 10:07 AM
    I don't think the Pearl is going to last that long. Now would I just be able to swap out the Sim card or would I need to do this through AT&T for activation or how would that work? And I guess how are the carriers about unlocked phones?
    05-12-10 12:51 PM
    I'm not that big on phones with "real" keyboards and jumped to the Storm1 as soon as it came out. Not an iFan and needed BB so it was best choice for me. Slider doesnt give much except to hid the keyboard mechanically.

I know there are pros and cons on both sides, have friends that would never go touch screen. Anyway, just personal choice for me. If you can get S2 or S3 it would be better to unlock and go with Sprint. Better than the ATT GSM network I think. And will be 4G much much sooner.
    05-12-10 01:03 PM
    that's good perspective - my company only allows crackberries for email and data access. Though AT&T could use much improvement, in my area Sprint's network could use just as much improving and I've had bad experiences with their customer service
    05-12-10 01:13 PM
    I don't think the Pearl is going to last that long. Now would I just be able to swap out the Sim card or would I need to do this through AT&T for activation or how would that work? And I guess how are the carriers about unlocked phones?
    Great network, will unlock phone if you tell them you need it for travel overseas. But if they are out, you have to go with what is the lesser of two evils...
    05-12-10 01:17 PM
    I don't know about the 3G aspect whether you will be able to use it or not. But I used a storm on the ATT network and didn't have any problems. Now am in the process of unlocking a Storm2 to use it on ATT. If I do it in the next day or two I will let u know abt the 3G. But I can tell u this though - once the S2 is unlocked u can just put ur SIM in there and it will work (the phone part). But to get all features like browser, email etc etc I had to load generic service books for ATT in my Storm1 and I'm assuming that I would have to do the same with S2. Hope this info helps.
    05-12-10 01:38 PM
    Thanks, I'm looking forward to hearing how the unlocking goes. With my BB pearl 8100, I'm on usually on the edge network. I'm not sure what you mean by - "But to get all features like browser, email etc etc I had to load generic service books for ATT in my Storm1 and I'm assuming that I would have to do the same with S2."

Could you please clarify
    05-13-10 01:00 AM
    When I made the switch to Storm 1 - my browser, email, BBM and a lot of data related features would not work. I called ATT and they told me that the service books have to be resent but the catch was that this device was never made for ATT so they didn't have the service books for it and they transferred me to RIM and I was told that this device is so new and it is just now being released by Verizon and that they did not make any service books for it to work on the US GSM network. But thnx to this amazing website I found the generic books for it and loaded it and got it to work.
    05-13-10 11:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD