Ugh...

Shouldn't that be for me to know and you to find out? Stupid phone.

This is my first and only complaint about the Storm thus far. It's plugged in, but still doesnt want to turn the radio back on until it get's a decent charge.
    02-25-09 01:01 AM
    It's not a storm thing, it's a blackberry thing
    02-25-09 01:08 AM
    I too find this unecessary and think it is dumb unless there is a reasonable reason why. If it is gonna kill the battery the let it kill or deplete it. And then when I plug it In the charger the phone should know to turn the radio back on.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-09 01:11 AM
    Umm, yeah. But those tossing the salid, have yet to realise that this is not a feature. Hope you don't need to make a 911 for a bit...

Wait till you have to support a tier 1 issue and your BB is dead. For no reason. Sweet.

At least the iPhones' energy depletion is predictable...l
    Last edited by Oilbrnr; 02-25-09 at 01:18 AM.
    02-25-09 01:16 AM
    If it didn't shut down your connections, your phone would shut off.
    02-25-09 01:30 AM
    I found a workaround for this.

When you get the "battery too low for radio use" alert, just go to options>advanced options>wireless update .. and then do an update. Once you see upload/download activity on the upper right corner of your screen then just abort the update and WALA.. your radio is connected.
    02-25-09 01:36 AM
    My thought for why they do this is so that you can still use your phone when the battery is really low. If the radio is on when the battery is that low the phone will just shut off right then instead it turns the radio off and you can still use the phone for a little bit longer. If you do not like this you can turn your phone off right when the radio goes off this way when you start charging it shouldn't take more than a few second for the battery to get charged enough for radio use.
    02-25-09 12:23 PM
    My point was, it was plugged in when I got this error... had to wait a good 5-10 minutes for the battery to get enough charge to turn the radio back on.
    02-25-09 08:31 PM
    I hope you survived the 5-10 minutes. Seriously, that is ridiculous.
    02-25-09 10:42 PM
    I hope you survived the 5-10 minutes. Seriously, that is ridiculous.
    still a pain in the rear broseph
    02-25-09 11:58 PM
    still a pain in the rear broseph
    hey dude my storm barely makes it through a 8 hr day most of the time by the time i get home from work, 'radio is off' is showing so i plug it in and check for a wireless update from my phone and voila i can make phone calls while its charging. no need to wait 5-10 min....oh yeah a few times i had to make calls while 'radio is off', did the whole update thing and was able to talk for 10 more min before my phone turned off. i'm glad i found out about this 'check for updates' trick.
    hope this helps.
    02-26-09 12:16 AM
    It's something that doesn't make sense to me.

The phone radio should never be forced off except when the battery is completely drained. 911 calls can happen at any time (they don't schedule emergencies). And nowadays, emergency services will attempt to use phone's GPS to locate a missing person.

The phone radio needs to remain on at all times. RIM can do like other phone manufacturers and cut off access to 'non-essentials' (bluetooth, media playback, MMS / 3G connectivity).
    02-26-09 04:32 AM
    It's something that doesn't make sense to me.

The phone radio should never be forced off except when the battery is completely drained. 911 calls can happen at any time (they don't schedule emergencies). And nowadays, emergency services will attempt to use phone's GPS to locate a missing person.

The phone radio needs to remain on at all times. RIM can do like other phone manufacturers and cut off access to 'non-essentials' (bluetooth, media playback, MMS / 3G connectivity).
    If you have already initiated a 911 call and the 911 locationing services are on, it will not turn it off. However, if it's already off and you need to call 911. Your SOL.
    02-26-09 05:00 AM
    If you have already initiated a 911 call and the 911 locationing services are on, it will not turn it off. However, if it's already off and you need to call 911. Your SOL.
    not true, it will power back on when you dial 911.
    02-26-09 08:55 AM
    The radio is cut off to avoid the entire device shutting down. If it tried to keep the radio on, the whole thing would just cut off. Dumb phones dont have the ability to control if the radio is on or off directly from a menu, we do, so they have always let us keep using the phone so that oh i dont know, maybe you could still look up a phone number, or get that meeting reminder... there are too many valid reasons for keeping the device on and shutting the radio off..
    02-26-09 09:06 AM
    The radio is cut off to avoid the entire device shutting down. If it tried to keep the radio on, the whole thing would just cut off. Dumb phones dont have the ability to control if the radio is on or off directly from a menu, we do, so they have always let us keep using the phone so that oh i dont know, maybe you could still look up a phone number, or get that meeting reminder... there are too many valid reasons for keeping the device on and shutting the radio off..
    i personally like it when it turns off the radio, atleast it has enough juice to let me get contact info so i can use another phone.
    02-26-09 09:24 AM
    It should be an option. Personally I'd prefer to be able to make a phone call or send a sms with the last millivolt of power than get tomorrow's meeting reminders or look up a # I can't dial
    02-26-09 10:18 AM
    It should be an option. Personally I'd prefer to be able to make a phone call or send a sms with the last millivolt of power than get tomorrow's meeting reminders or look up a # I can't dial
    you can turn it back on after it says 'radio too low for use' and use it for the last ten min of power it has.
    02-26-09 10:40 AM
    Ugh...

Shouldn't that be for me to know and you to find out? Stupid phone.

This is my first and only complaint about the Storm thus far. It's plugged in, but still doesnt want to turn the radio back on until it get's a decent charge.
    are you ok? did you make it out alive of those 10 minutes without radio service? you must be one of those 13 year old girls who text all the time and your BFF got mad at you for not texting back instantly
    02-26-09 11:01 AM
    And if RIM didn't do this with Blackberry phones, and then you lost all your data because you ran the battery completely dry, you'd complain about that.
    02-26-09 11:42 AM
    I Found That If You Go To Options. Advanced Optoins Wireless Upgrade Check Wireless Upgrades It Will Say Turn Raido On And It Will Turn Ur Radio On When Ur Bat Is Red

02-26-09 01:33 PM
    I Found That If You Go To Options. Advanced Optoins Wireless Upgrade Check Wireless Upgrades It Will Say Turn Raido On And It Will Turn Ur Radio On When Ur Bat Is Red

02-26-09 01:34 PM
    ... I think we covered that
    02-27-09 01:23 AM
    Well that hasn't happened to be lately I hated iy but now I can run my phone till dry.
    Mebe settings or firmware.

02-27-09 02:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD