Do I power down my Storm before battery pulls or just pull it while device is on?

Also, does it help to schedule auto power downs at night? I have had a BB for a few months and have never done that.
    05-17-09 05:10 PM
    Pull the battery out with the device on.

Using Auto On/Off isn't the same effect of a battery pull. The only way I see it helping the phone is by saving the battery life if it's not charging overnight.
    05-17-09 05:12 PM
    Battery pull should be done with device on.

If you are charging your phone every night, I would see no reason for powering it down every night. That is a choice, but not a necessity.

You can download 2 different 3rd Party apps that simulate the battery pull without physically pulling the battery--

SoftReset-- simulates battery pull upon request

QuickPull-- same as SoftReset, but can be set to do the "battery pull" at the same time every day/night on its own.
    05-17-09 05:13 PM
    Pull the battery out with the device on.

Using Auto On/Off isn't the same effect of a battery pull. The only way I see it helping the phone is by saving the battery life if it's not charging overnight.
    +1 per RIM troubleshooting guide, pull battery while phone is on.
    05-17-09 05:13 PM
    meterberry also does a reset, and can be scheduled.

The power off function by holding end button or scheduling it at night is only a sleeper style function like putting your computer into hibernation, it does not reset the phone.

A reset is like rebooting your computer, something I'm sure you have to do pretty much daily as well if you're one that leaves your computer on all the time.
    05-17-09 05:19 PM
    Thanks all. I just can't believe how quickly you all respond. I will have to do a few battery pulls with device on and see what happens.
    05-17-09 05:25 PM
    Plus one for quickpull. Ya might as well give it a shot.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-09 07:18 PM
    At the risk of upsetting the crackberry applecart, it's always struck me as very weak that this is standard operating procedure; that we need to take the back cover off the unit, pull the battery, put it back in, put the cover back on, and wait several minutes as it slowly reboots, in order to have a healthy, functioning unit. Okay, so I understand the need to reboot every so often, but maybe designers could've put some sort of hard reboot shutdown on the phone or within the software instead of having to take the unit apart once (or more times) a day.

Sorry for the rant.
    05-17-09 08:42 PM
    At the risk of upsetting the crackberry applecart, it's always struck me as very weak that this is standard operating procedure; that we need to take the back cover off the unit, pull the battery, put it back in, put the cover back on, and wait several minutes as it slowly reboots, in order to have a healthy, functioning unit. Okay, so I understand the need to reboot every so often, but maybe designers could've put some sort of hard reboot shutdown on the phone or within the software instead of having to take the unit apart once (or more times) a day.

Sorry for the rant.
    And we have all been talking about apps that simulate the battery pull-- no physical pulling needed. SoftReset is a very small app, and it works great if you just do a battery pull once in a while, like me.
    05-17-09 08:53 PM
    A reset is like rebooting your computer, something I'm sure you have to do pretty much daily as well if you're one that leaves your computer on all the time.
    Must be a Windows user . I used to manage Unix servers that were rebooted once every six months or so, and that was due to facilities turning off the power for maintenance.
    05-17-09 08:56 PM
    Yep, I know about the 3rd party apps to do this. It shows others have felt the same as I do. I'm merely going on that I feel it should be a feature included with the phone or OS, as it's obviously necessary to keep things running in check.
    05-17-09 08:57 PM
    Yep, I know about the 3rd party apps to do this. It shows others have felt the same as I do. I'm merely going on that I feel it should be a feature included with the phone or OS, as it's obviously necessary to keep things running in check.
    And I do agree with that.
    05-17-09 08:58 PM
    And I do agree with that.
    And I as well. I'd like to see a "Reset Now" option in Memory (in Options).
    05-17-09 08:59 PM
    �1 for soft reset. Works like a charm. I like not having to physically take my phone apart.

05-17-09 09:18 PM
    Must be a Windows user . I used to manage Unix servers that were rebooted once every six months or so, and that was due to facilities turning off the power for maintenance.
    Even windows has a shut down and restart option within the OS. I guess they understood that asking customers to unplug the PC from the power while running probably wouldn't fly.
    05-17-09 09:21 PM
    I will always do a real pull from now on as I track my uptime and a QP or SR will not reset uptime
    05-17-09 09:23 PM
    And I as well. I'd like to see a "Reset Now" option in Memory (in Options).
    I think this would be a great feature to add.

Also I set Quick Pull to run every morning at 4 am (I am asleep and really never know if it happens... unless I am wasted and still up) and since I have started this routine my phone only resets/power cylces once or twice a week.
    05-17-09 09:24 PM
    I bought meter berry to schedule my `battery pulls`plus it has lock call feature. Two app for the price of one
    05-17-09 09:38 PM
    I used to 2 Tims a day got quick pull now my .75 works great

05-17-09 10:23 PM
    I once had Quick Pull installed for the choice of resetting my phone, also the memoryup pro to keep track of memory used and to regain some memory without doing the reset. I now got rid of both apps and d/l MeterBerry. Works great. does all the above plus some. Great app suggest to all.
    05-17-09 10:38 PM
    Meter berry is the way 2 go!

05-17-09 11:23 PM
    I agree that MeterBerry is an necessary app for the storm.

05-17-09 11:59 PM
    Big MeterBerry fan here too. It's awesome! I use that when I need to perform a battery pull.
    05-18-09 12:14 AM
    If you are concerned with battery pulls you should get meterberry. It will tell you everything you need to know about your phone as well as reset your device so you will need need quickpull or soft reset. I like it a lot. This is coming from a regular Storm owner who spends way to much time on Crackberry. Hope this helps.
    05-18-09 05:03 AM
    im a fan of both quick pull and the real battery i know when u call tech support they ask u to leave it out for 2 mins i think its funny that battery pulls fix alot of bb's issues just my thought's
    05-18-09 05:32 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD