Just Curious As the title suggests,

are physical battery pulls (taking the battery out from the back of device so phone resets and putting back in) the same as

Simulated battery pulls(Programs that actually resets ur phone as if the battery was taken out ie.memory meter and quickpull)?

is there a difference
    06-14-09 09:34 PM

are physical battery pulls (taking the battery out from the back of device so phone resets and putting back in) the same as

Simulated battery pulls(Programs that actually resets ur phone as if the battery was taken out ie.memory meter and quickpull)?

is there a difference
    to my understanding there is no difference.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-09 09:44 PM
    I've read that RIM recommends leaving the battery out for 5 minutes for persistent problems. That could not be done with quick pull.

Grey
    06-14-09 09:49 PM
    ya i usually use the simulated pull but do a battery pull about once a week you gotta figure its somewhat better to do it that way...just because the connectors are actually being detached from eachother so has to be better....
    06-14-09 10:02 PM
    ya i usually use the simulated pull but do a battery pull about once a week you gotta figure its somewhat better to do it that way...just because the connectors are actually being detached from eachother so has to be better....
    No not necessarily.

06-14-09 11:16 PM
    as long as its clearing the ram/cache on the phone its doing its job, and fixing what most issues all of you are experiencing, there may be differences, but it doesent matter what most people use the battery pulls for. They are both the same when it comes to that stuff.
    06-14-09 11:47 PM

is there a difference
    Sometimes, when my app memory falls too low... like 0.0kb lol... I'm not able to use QuickPull, and I'll have to physically take the battery out. To my understanding, it's the same.
    06-15-09 02:50 AM
    Wow thanks for the speedy replys . So it seems there is no difference

06-15-09 05:34 AM
    Real woman or blow-up doll?

While one may work in a pinch, Remember there is no substitute for the real thing
    06-15-09 09:21 AM
    A "simulated" battery pull is different from a real battery pull. The simulated one causes MOST things to be reset and the berry software to reload. Some hardware items are not reset. For most - MOST not all - situations a simulated battery pull should be sufficient.
    06-15-09 09:27 AM
    Full batt pull is the only way to go, especially with boot times being optimized.

I haven't seen quickpull do... anything. when I'm stuck at 1xev it doesn't refresh the radio or anything. Full batt pull gets everything back on track.
    06-15-09 02:51 PM
    there is no difference. with both your are cutting off the phone's power supply.
    06-15-09 04:16 PM
    Real woman or blow-up doll?

While one may work in a pinch, Remember there is no substitute for the real thing
    Funny analogy. I prefer thinking about an electronic device such as a tv or alarm clock, which can be unplugged for a short period of time and not require a complete reset of menu options, time, etc. But if left unplugged for longer than than period, it will be reset to factory defaults upon reboot. That is why I think that a physical pull is superior
    06-15-09 05:52 PM
    I don't think there is much of a difference. Sometimes though you have to do a physical pull if the phone freezes or whatever.
    06-15-09 11:30 PM
    there is no difference. with both your are cutting off the phone's power supply.
    No. A "soft reset" from quickpull, softreset, or others does not cut off the power supply. They restart the device - a "warm boot" in the vernacular of embedded systems as opposed to a "cold boot" which is a restart caused by a power cycle.

Note the difference in the "Uptime" status between the two and you will see what I mean.

And if that one portion of the phone is not being reset what others are also not being reset that we can't so easily see?
    06-16-09 01:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD