I just got my storm 2 days ago and the battery life won't even make it through an entire day without me having to charge it off and on. Does anyone know why this is? Also if there is a way to prevent it?
    04-21-10 03:58 PM
    Close your running apps.
    04-21-10 03:59 PM
    I never leave them running. I always hit the BB button and then close. Is there a way to see if any are running just in case I am forgetting some?
    04-21-10 04:02 PM
    hold down BB button and scroll thru the icons in the pop up window. the core apps will always show there, like phone, email, browser. I don't run memory resident utilities so my s2 goes all day without a problem--my drain rate is between .3%/hr and 2%/hr depending on how much time I spend on calls and/or playing Pandora.
    04-21-10 04:06 PM
    I haven't been able to find a pandora app . I held down the BB button and a bunch of apps showed up under. Like phone, messages, home screen, camera, but then so did gmail, options, BB messenger, city ID(which will be gone once my trial is up) , and browser. I clicked on each individual one and clicked close. Then held down the BB button again and they are still there. Also what do you mean memory resident? Sorry I are BB newb
    04-21-10 04:10 PM
    hold down BB button and scroll thru the icons in the pop up window. the core apps will always show there, like phone, email, browser. I don't run memory resident utilities so my s2 goes all day without a problem--my drain rate is between .3%/hr and 2%/hr depending on how much time I spend on calls and/or playing Pandora.
    Your phone could go through two days then?
    04-21-10 04:10 PM
    There are MULTIPLE threads on this, here are some highlights:

Verizon: Change network to 1XEV (Options --> Mobile Network --> Network Technology)

Set your screen bightness level down to 50% (or lower)

Do not leave Bluetooth on when you are not using it

Verizon: dial *228 and select option 2 to update your PRL

Close unused apps

Nothing you can really do about it, but signal strength can be a factor as well. If you spend a lot of time in areas with little to no signal available, your battery will drain faster while searching for networks constantly (the PRL update can help this in some cases). If you know you will be in an environment with no signal for a prolonged period of time, best to shut off the radio or put phone in standby.
    04-21-10 04:19 PM
    what is the benefit of having your network as 1xev? I am just wondering. Also what is PRL? Thank you very much for the tips though!!
    04-21-10 04:21 PM
    I have done all those "tips" and I still have like 6% discharge rate doing nothing but some messaging. Screen brightness at 10%. I'm ATT though, so my network is gsm and manually 2G. I could get like 1-3% on my 9000.

I just hope I will find a good OS to help it soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-10 04:26 PM
    Your phone could go through two days then?
    YES! I don't NEED to charge it every night. I usually do, but I don't need to. REMEMBER: I'm not you usual CB poster. I don't believe in adding on a bunch of utilities for metering this and that and changing the LED colors and locking the screen, yada yada yada. Nor do I install hybrid OS's. If it's not official, I don't mess with it. My phone has to just WORK--I dont want my phone to be a hobby. If and when it goes offline, I'm stressed, so I don't screw around with it.

EDIT: today I loaded Dragon which shows up all the time as a running app, so by tomorrow I'll know if it's going to be a battery draining app. If it is, it's hasta la vista, baby!
    04-21-10 04:30 PM
    YES! I don't NEED to charge it every night. I usually do, but I don't need to. REMEMBER: I'm not you usual CB poster. I don't believe in adding on a bunch of utilities for metering this and that and changing the LED colors and locking the screen, yada yada yada. Nor do I install hybrid OS's. If it's not official, I don't mess with it. My phone has to just WORK--I dont want my phone to be a hobby. If and when it goes offline, I'm stressed, so I don't screw around with it.

EDIT: today I loaded Dragon which shows up all the time as a running app, so by tomorrow I'll know if it's going to be a battery draining app. If it is, it's hasta la vista, baby!
    So you claim meterberry and bebuzz drain battery excessively? How do 2 apps that run tasks on your phone that your phone already does natively, cause excessive battery drain?? You LED is on by default and your phone already does event logs system monitoring.

Just face it, all phones run different. If you really do average .2-1% drain per hour I advise you to NEVER change your OS.

I guarantee I could remove my apps and use my phone normally ( testing, browsing, emails... ) and it wouldn't make any significant improvement in battery performance.

04-21-10 04:45 PM
    I have done all those "tips" and I still have like 6% discharge rate doing nothing but some messaging. Screen brightness at 10%. I'm ATT though, so my network is gsm and manually 2G. I could get like 1-3% on my 9000.

I just hope I will find a good OS to help it soon.

I am almost set the same as you and my discharge rate (according to meterberry) is 6.7 % per hour. Got a brand new battery and still the same.
    04-21-10 04:51 PM
    There are MULTIPLE threads on this, here are some highlights:

Verizon: Change network to 1XEV (Options --> Mobile Network --> Network Technology)

Set your screen bightness level down to 50% (or lower)

Do not leave Bluetooth on when you are not using it

Verizon: dial *228 and select option 2 to update your PRL

Close unused apps

Nothing you can really do about it, but signal strength can be a factor as well. If you spend a lot of time in areas with little to no signal available, your battery will drain faster while searching for networks constantly (the PRL update can help this in some cases). If you know you will be in an environment with no signal for a prolonged period of time, best to shut off the radio or put phone in standby.
    Lets not forget about custom themes too. these can add to the battery murder.
    04-21-10 04:56 PM
    This has been a pain in the rear for me lately. I've been on a mission for the past three days trying everything from basic themes to hybrids.......with minimal success. If I can get it to around 3% or less, i think I will be good to go. Even completely killed the batteries and recharged the old and new in hopes it would make a difference. No luck.
    04-21-10 05:02 PM
    Search next time before making a thread. This has been covered before a million times.

While you aren't using your phone, press the Power button; this will lock your keypad and turn off your backlight. And like others said, close all running apps.

04-21-10 05:41 PM
    Create a new profile and turn vibration off for all alerts. If your sitting at your desk with your phone in front of you why do you need it to vibrate if your gonna see it and hear it and when i go home i just change the profile back to normal. I have found i get an increase in battery life just from that.
    04-21-10 08:04 PM
    Aside from the previous suggestions, sometime a battery pull (phone reset) can restore the battery power drain.

After installing the recent .607 OS update mine went to heck in a handbasket. Eventually, I wiped out everything, then reinstalled the OS and nothing else. Worked great. Over the next few days I gradually reinstalled all my apps and measured the battery drain. What a pain. Anyway, now all the apps are back and the battery drain is <2%/hour...Sometimes <1%/hour if it just sits in my study all day.
    04-21-10 10:52 PM
    Aside from the previous suggestions, sometime a battery pull (phone reset) can restore the battery power drain.

After installing the recent .607 OS update mine went to heck in a handbasket. Eventually, I wiped out everything, then reinstalled the OS and nothing else. Worked great. Over the next few days I gradually reinstalled all my apps and measured the battery drain. What a pain. Anyway, now all the apps are back and the battery drain is <2%/hour...Sometimes <1%/hour if it just sits in my study all day.
    It is funny how loading the exact same OS can have different results. I have noticed that also.
    04-21-10 10:57 PM
    I've installed every leak and have had six different storm 2's. The latest one had a blown earpiece speaker but I had it for several months. I have always gotten the same battery response from every phone (with 2 different batteries).
    I lose anywhere from 5-9% while browsing and texting and about 15% on average if I am on long phone calls (25-50 minutes). I can get through a day but on days where I am on it a ton, I barely have any juice at the end of the day. I've seen zero variability and the only time I had a huge battery drain overnight was when I didn't reboot after installing one of the verizon apps and it drained my battery 80% overnight.
    04-22-10 06:05 AM
    And like others said, close all running apps.
    Forgive a BB noob, but this is easier said that done. I open the app manager by holding the menu button for 2 seconds, choose a running app like Pandora or Browser, press the menu button again and choose close from the bottom (no "exit" evident). The app is still there, running in the background and eating my battery.

I've cycled power from the home screen and the apps are still running, is the only way to actually close apps to pull the battery out? I know I'm missing something here...what is it?
    04-22-10 08:18 AM
    I do not have battery drains at all, can not understand why ppl complaining all the time, my batterly lasts 48h + and I consider myself not a light user.

running the .497 on DRM
    A
    04-22-10 08:28 AM
    my 9550 needs charged everyday.... i installed a quickpull app... it seems to work alot better and last longer
    04-22-10 08:39 AM
    I do not have battery drains at all, can not understand why ppl complaining all the time, my batterly lasts 48h + and I consider myself not a light user.

running the .497 on DRM
    A
    My 9550 went from a full charge to low battery audible tones in less than 6 hours...while I was asleep and using it as my alarm clock. I've had it about 2 weeks so I'm a total BB noob, but that seems crazy short to me. I'm used to an older Windows smartphone that would go 3-5 days between charges with heavy phone and browser use.

My app manager shows a couple dozen apps running, which I'm sure is the issue...but I cannot close any of them. I've got wifi, bluetooth and GPS off, I'm on 3G but have a steady signal and its not constantly switching signals, backlight is at 10% and 20 sec.
    04-22-10 08:51 AM
    A couple dozen apps running? So you have 24 apes actively running? That's your problem right there.

04-22-10 09:19 AM
    A couple dozen apps running? So you have 24 apes actively running? That's your problem right there.

I know thats why my battery drained so fast...but the core problem is I can't close anything. I toggle over to the app and use the menu, close command and it doesn't close the app, it just returns me to the home screen.

I just counted em all up, 7 apps...looks like I was exaggerating.

weatherbug
    city ID
    Home screen
    phone
    browser

I can understand not being able to close phone, but browser or weatherbug? I'm doing something wrong.
    04-22-10 09:32 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD