Hello everyone,

Recently I have been traveling a lot more for work and I felt the need to get a MP3 player.

my question is if it is worth it to buy a dedicated MP3 player like an Ipod for the battery life as opposed to using my storm2.

My biggest concern would be battery life of the phone.

Any suggestions or related help from people who do use their storm2 as a MP3 player would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    05-03-10 12:56 PM
    i use mine almost daily as an MP3 while at the gym. If you turn the radio off (or not) it will be good to go. I lost less then 5% an hour (2 hour workout). I gave up my IPOD along time ago when I got the S2.
    05-03-10 12:59 PM
    Wow, thank you both for the quick responses. I really appreciate it.

Is there a special MP3 app. that you would use, or is the default media player sufficient enough?

Also, I know it used to be a pain to upload songs from itunes, is it still that way or is it much easier?

Thanks!
    05-03-10 01:09 PM
    I use WINAMP and the default player. You can actually just drag and drop files onto your media card, or use the media function in DM.
    05-03-10 01:17 PM
    I've had to grow accustomed to using my Storm since my iPod Touch bit the dust after two years.

The only issue that I've had is the moving forward to another song. With the headphone jack in use, the first second of a song is faded out or very light then it plays as normal.

And of course some of the songs that I transfered from iTunes are missing their cover artwork (not to mention the missing DRM iTunes songs).

But the Storm2 is a welcomed alternative to a dedicated mp3 player.
    05-03-10 01:19 PM
    I gave up my IPOD along time ago when I got the S2.
    I did the same, I like the Blackberry media player, just wish I could rate songs and have a top rated playlist and top played like on the iPod; that's the only thing I miss.

The sound quality is great and battery doesn't decrease much if you turn the radio off.

Just depends on how much you're keeping your screen on as far as using the media player alone.
    05-03-10 02:50 PM
    You can actually just drag and drop files onto your media card, or use the media function in DM.
    You can do the same from iTunes, makes it very easy to manage your music. And if you need to delete songs it's very easy to do so from the phone itself. I never really messed with playlists on my phone yet.
    05-03-10 02:51 PM
    Well my battery life is not great period. But when I use it for playing mp3s battery life goes down the hill. What I do instead is stream through Pandora or slacker. And it saves battery life.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-10 02:59 PM
    Well my battery life is not great period. But when I use it for playing mp3s battery life goes down the hill. What I do instead is stream through Pandora or slacker. And it saves battery life.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I would suggest loading a hybrid OS; they do increase battery life.
    The one I'm on; OOAK's .644 i believe over .517 <--the first numbers might be wrong but it's over the .517 radio and with normal usage and media player usage in my car via aux cord I'm at 2.8% discharge, not too bad.
    05-03-10 03:07 PM
    I use the media player through ear buds for a solid 4 hours at a stretch three days a week with absolute regularity. Whether I leave the radio (i.e., the phone) on during this time doesn't seem to matter very much. I don't have Meterberry, but using the battery indicator on the home screen, I notice that each 4 hour listening session decreases the battery by about 1/3. I start off with a fully charged battery. The other 2/3 charge lasts the rest of the day easily with the phone on standby.

Bob
    05-03-10 04:34 PM
    I listen to audio books (mp3 files...same as music) for 4 to 6 hours every day. My battery is always at 30% to 50% when I plug it in around midnight.
    05-03-10 05:17 PM
    I would suggest loading a hybrid OS; they do increase battery life.
    The one I'm on; OOAK's .644 i believe over .517 <--the first numbers might be wrong but it's over the .517 radio and with normal usage and media player usage in my car via aux cord I'm at 2.8% discharge, not too bad.
    thats better than I'm getting! I'm dropping about 4.5-5.1%.
    05-03-10 05:54 PM
    I use mine as an mp3 player all the time. While I work, I keep it plugged into the car charger, so battery life is not an issue. At home working in the yard, I just throw it in my pocket with a headset on, and the battery drain is very minimal.

Now contrary to Whoolio's findings, I find that streaming through Pandora drains the battery MUCH faster than just listening to mp3s on the SDcard. And the sound quality is quite good, too. Especially in the car through the aux cord.
    05-03-10 07:42 PM
    I have a 32GB in my S2 and, I too use it daily as my media player without much drain.
    05-03-10 07:58 PM
    I just flew from Honolulu to Las Vegas (5.5 hours) last week and used my S2 running the 607 OS. I started at a full charge in the morning (flight was mid-morning departing) and ended the flight at 60-70% battery charge. I listened to MP3's the whole journey plus a 2 hour movie and 1 hour TV show that I had converted for viewing. Of course all the radios were turned off on the S2. This was my first longhaul flight with my S2 as I had bought mine at the end of December. I am quite impressed.
    05-04-10 01:15 AM
    Went on a trip last week, ended up being ~6 hours of flights and then another 3 of waiting in the airports. Started with a full battery and after listening to some music & podcasts and watching one movie on the way down (combined with some internet browsing, etc. during my layover) I still had around 60% left. I also use it as my mp3 player while playing poker in average 6-8 hour sessions and find that I never lose more than 40-50% from where my battery started.
    05-04-10 09:09 AM
    I listen to MP3 and/or Pandora for 4 hours or so a day at work and the battery goes from being full to about half full... I do leave the radio on while listening to MP3's... I think after reading some of the other responses I will try a different OS because that seems like too much battery drain.
    05-04-10 10:45 AM
    I'll chime in and say that I use my Storm as an mp3 player. I listen to music and to books. For my books I prefer Podtrapper - it will save my place, even thru battery pulls. I dont use it for listening to music because you have to manually start each song.

For listening to music I use BerryTunes because I can sort my music into folders then drag and drop onto my sd card. I also don't have the audio problems with BerryTunes when a new song starts. The BB media player won't recognize my folders and it is a pain to set up playlists there.

As for battery drain, I am a heavy BB user and go thru a battery in a day usually. I have another back-up battery and charger so I can just pop in a new battery when I need it. Don't have to be chained to the cord.
    05-04-10 11:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD