1) How long should a 9550 last on a full charge given that this phone is used only for email, internet and twitter and if I may not be in a 3G area. The other night the phone was nearly drained in 4 1/2 hours...mostly reading twitter and following the NFL draft.

2) Is there a keyboard shortcut that will reboot the Blackberry similar to pulling the battery out and replacing?
    04-25-10 07:12 AM
    1) How long should a 9550 last on a full charge given that this phone is used only for email, internet and twitter and if I may not be in a 3G area. The other night the phone was nearly drained in 4 1/2 hours...mostly reading twitter and following the NFL draft.
    I am a heavy user and constant use will drain mine in about that amont of time. But I always keep an extra battery.

2) Is there a keyboard shortcut that will reboot the Blackberry similar to pulling the battery out and replacing?
    Try Quick Pull.
    04-25-10 07:25 AM
    I take my phone off the charger at 7am every morning and when I go to sleep around 2am the next morning I have anywhere from 30% to 50% left on my battery. My typical use is about two 5 minute phone calls, a lot of google talk and BBM, about 50 push emails received, GPS never turned off, Bluetooth on for about 2 hours, checking Facebook and twitter a few times, and about 3-4 hours of web browsing with opera mini and the native browser.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-25-10 11:51 AM
    Nothing will drain your battery faster than being in a poor coverage area. The constant searching of the antenna for a signal is a battery destroyer. Have you tried *228 option 2 to update your phoen to the nearest towers?
    04-25-10 12:01 PM
    Twitter kills my battery. Pandora does too but its hard to move without music

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-25-10 01:24 PM
    there is a video on youtube of someone comparing battery life on a stock battery and a Seidio. He was playing a movie nonstop (repeating) and he killed his battery in a little over 6 hours. If you can't even last that long, something is very wrong. That definitely sounds like constantly searching for signal or GPS constantly searching.

Check your background Apps. What is your twitter refresh time? (you use the official BB Twitter App?)
    04-25-10 03:49 PM
    Bingo, that is the "huge factor" here and why nobody can really give him an accurate answer. He also has not mentioned if he's taken the proverbial battery draining preventative measures (i.e., 1XEV only, screen brightness, WiFi off, etc.), what OS he's using and some other things.

That being said, the reference to "no 3G" is a biggie....no telling how much effort his phone is making to maintain a signal, nor how difficult it is for his apps to complete their tasks. 4 1/2 hours does seem a bit radical, but until the other things are taken into account, we can't say. What sites does he visit? Some sites have a much bigger impact on battery life than others. Good point on the *228 reference, too.

Nothing will drain your battery faster than being in a poor coverage area. The constant searching of the antenna for a signal is a battery destroyer. Have you tried *228 option 2 to update your phoen to the nearest towers?
    04-25-10 04:13 PM
    See the other posts re: battery life. As for keyboard shortcuts for simulating a battery pull, one person here mentioned "QuickPull" but there's also MeterBerry that offers that, and a few other apps as well. No, there is no keyboard shortcut, it's either use an app to simulate a pull or, pull the battery out the old fashioned way. Finally, why are you needing to do battery pulls? This is an S2. Many, myself included, attest to going WEEKS without a battery pull and when we do perform one, it is primarily because of a new app installation or removal, not in an attempt to regain memory or some such thing.

04-25-10 04:15 PM
    Not exactly a shortcut but here's one way to reset your phone without pulling the battery:

1) Click send and key in ##000000 and click send again this will take you to the CDMA service edit screen

2) Scroll down until you see "SIP Password"

3) Enter "vzw" as the SIP Password

4) Click blackberry button and select "save"

5) Phone will reset

As others have mentioned try quickpull or meterberry for faster means of resetting.
    04-25-10 09:22 PM
    If you Twitter alot, reading or otherwise, another option is to make sure it's not checking for updates every 10 minutes like the RIM version of Twitter is defaulted to. I actually turn the auto update off on mine and just check it throughout the day, I don't need to be notified of every little twit that someone posts.
    04-26-10 08:09 AM
    Even poor coverage is better than no coverage, in regards to battery life. I work in a cave, and have been keeping track of my battery life when I take my BB underground. Most days I spend four hours underground and four or five hours above. When out of the cave, I spend about two hours reading eBooks, answering email and text, and browsing the web. If I carry my phone on me the whole time, by the end of the day, I have 50% or less battery. Several days I only took my phone down for two hours, and had around 70% battery. On the days I don't take it down at all, I have between 80-90% still when I leave work.
    04-26-10 01:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD