Is it better to charge your battery often, like even when its only at 3-4 bars or is it better to always let it drain to 1 or 2 bars before charging?

Also if it is at 1-2 bars is it more likely to cause freeze up problems and cause the phone to run slower?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-09 11:57 PM
    I charge my Storm every night, but I know, its no good. i kow, it has a LiIon battery without memory effect, but your battery will definitly lose power!
    02-06-09 03:54 AM
    Me doing every night charging also, so I can keep my bb on for next day.
    My bat can not reach 100% now, only 95% max, I don't know if this is due to my charging behavior or not

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-09 07:27 AM
    I charge my Storm every night, but I know, its no good. i kow, it has a LiIon battery without memory effect, but your battery will definitly lose power!
    Do you have a source for the losing power if charging a lithhium ion without letting it die?
    02-06-09 07:33 AM
    So my girlfriend should let her Storm's battery always run down to 1 or 2 bars before charging rather than charging as it is at 3 bars?
    02-06-09 11:06 AM
    Anybody else with some input?

Thanks in advance..
    02-06-09 03:16 PM
    Anybody else with some input?

Thanks in advance..
    From the web:

Lithium-ion is a very clean system and does not need priming as nickel-based batteries do. The 1st charge is no different to the 5th or the 50th charge. A lithium-ion battery provides 300-500 discharge/charge cycles.

The battery prefers a partial rather than a full discharge. Frequent full discharges should be avoided when possible.

Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, batteries with fuel gauges exhibit what engineers refer to as "digital memory". Here is the reason: Short discharges with subsequent recharges do not provide the periodic calibration needed to synchronize the fuel gauge with the battery's state-of-charge.

A deliberate full discharge and recharge every 30 charges corrects this problem. Letting the battery run down to the cut-off point in the equipment will do this.

Summary:

Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory.

My comment:

I believe the "fuel guage" mentioned has primarily to do with laptops where there is a battery management program that will turn off the computer at a certain low battery point. I don't believe our BB have that?
    Last edited by Cg2Chris; 02-06-09 at 03:37 PM.
    02-06-09 03:32 PM
    Great response. I think I get it now.. lol - Thanks!
    02-06-09 09:14 PM
    I've been using blackberries for a while and I've always heard for best results charge often.

Also heard that the batteries can take frequent charges without a problem.

I charge mine every night. I'm usually at about 50% by the time I go to bed. I just bought an seidio 1600 extended battery so I'll see how the battery holds up with that. I always figured that I'd rather charge it every night even if I don't think it really needs it just in case I use my overuse my phone the next day and I'm stuck with a dead battery or no radio signal.
    02-06-09 10:27 PM
    I've been using blackberries for a while and I've always heard for best results charge often.

Also heard that the batteries can take frequent charges without a problem.

I charge mine every night. I'm usually at about 50% by the time I go to bed. I just bought an seidio 1600 extended battery so I'll see how the battery holds up with that. I always figured that I'd rather charge it every night even if I don't think it really needs it just in case I use my overuse my phone the next day and I'm stuck with a dead battery or no radio signal.

I generally charge mine after it's down about 50% or so. They say LiIon batteries do have a charge life so not charging constantly is the idea.
    02-07-09 12:04 PM
    I was charging my Storm every 48 hrs. The .99 system is way better that the .75. Maybe I'll do it every night or at 50 %. There were other threads re: .75 not charging to 100%. Some suggested turning phone off while charging, then plugging in and out a few times, phone on and off...It did work, got 100% and the bolt disappeared. But no problem with .99. I bought a Seidio extended 1600 battery-almost sent back. It was the OS. Now 16600 is going great.
    02-07-09 12:33 PM
    I believe the "fuel guage" mentioned has primarily to do with laptops where there is a battery management program that will turn off the computer at a certain low battery point. I don't believe our BB have that?
    It's not a question about low power turn offs, but rather battery gauge -accuracy-. If you do frequent recharges, then find when your battery draining surprising fast, do a cycle where the battery drains fully before recharging. Others here have found doing this suddenly gives their battery new life - when if fact all it did was calibrate the gauge.

I do a complete charge/discharge cycle whenever I get a new battery, and thereafter do it again every month or two.
    02-07-09 12:42 PM
    It's not a question about low power turn offs, but rather battery gauge -accuracy-. If you do frequent recharges, then find when your battery draining surprising fast, do a cycle where the battery drains fully before recharging. Others here have found doing this suddenly gives their battery new life - when if fact all it did was calibrate the gauge.

I do a complete charge/discharge cycle whenever I get a new battery, and thereafter do it again every month or two.

AHA! Thanks. Ties right in with a full drain/recharge every 30 days or so.
    02-07-09 12:49 PM
    Good info. I have had battery troubles with all my prior cell phones. Now that I have a BB i don't want to have the same problems.
    02-07-09 01:00 PM
    Batteries aren't easily swapped either.....
    02-07-09 01:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD