06-22-09 03:12 PM
31 12
tools
    Would you all say it's too late for current gen Blackberry devices (Storm, Bold, Curve) to run on a RIM OS that's not Java based? Is it possible for our phones to run non-Java based OS's? Is the fact that the Storm runs a Java based OS the reason for the absence of flick scroll, ultra fluid UI, etc.?
    06-22-09 01:55 PM
    all they have to do is open up the API

modders will do the rest. would definitely be nice to have choices that's for sure.

Would you all say it's too late for current gen Blackberry devices (Storm, Bold, Curve) to run on a RIM OS that's not Java based? Is it possible for our phones to run non-Java based OS's? Is the fact that the Storm runs a Java based OS the reason for the absence of flick scroll, ultra fluid UI, etc.?
    Nope. lots of storm apps have flick scrolling. It's RIM's choice to leave it out of the native OS. Java can be well optimized and run fluidly. It's just a very difficult language to work with GUI wise.
    06-22-09 01:56 PM
    It would have to be an OS that was co designed by RIM. They would have to have a large amount of input as it would still have to run on the BES. If it didnt support push e-mail what would be the point?

sounds kinda hokey, its like I can get my nintendo to run on my XBOX.

ok so go buy yourself an xbox. geez.
    06-22-09 02:08 PM
    I believe it was the Blackberry Application Suite that allowed WinMo users to have BBOS on their device, something along those lines but with 'droid or WebOS (if Palm doesn't take off) but still utilizing key features like push email and BBM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-09 02:44 PM
    WebOs on the storm would be sick!!!!
    That's THE MOST touch friendly UI I have ever seen, whoever came up with the gestures idea is a friggin genius. My brother came over with the PRE and I played with it for a few, it was pretty cool and multi tasking is like 1,000 times better then the storm I had everything open and it didn't slow up or freeze like my storm lol. Oh well guess we'll se what happens.....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-22-09 03:05 PM
    I know this is a stupid argument used to defend the Storm against the iPhone, but at the end of the day BBs are geared more for business than for your average joe.

That said, security is a HUGE reason BBs are so popular. Opening up the device to allow different OSes to be loaded poses a gigantic security risk for them and their brand. It's the very fact someone can get a hold of the means to access the guts of the OS and dump all kinds of malicious code on it that makes them opening up the device API unlikely.

I dunno, to me it sounds like typical CEO speak trying to downplay the importance of a flashy OS on the device. Flash is just that, and really only matters to select groups of people. Of course it's obvious those people make up a larger group than Balsillie would have us believe, but the device functioning as it should is more important than flick scrolling through an email. If anything, he may be hinting at them going a different direction with the OS's layout and design if the market demands it, not opening up the phone.

P.S. It looks like the whole idea of them opening up the phone is pure speculation on the part of who wrote that article and isn't based on any sort of fact.
    Last edited by Joel S.; 06-22-09 at 03:15 PM.
    06-22-09 03:12 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD