Yep, you're ignorant.

It's not about what it can't do that's not native to itself as what it was originally conceptualized as (i.e. a business phone model). It can't even do that right. It's not what's missing out of the UI, but what bugs it's still plagued with. Give me a break man... you're too blinded to realize the truth here.

It amazes me how many people in this thread that have Telus as a carrier are the ones making excuses and coming to RIM's rescue... gee, hey RIM's employees! GTFO! lol
    RIGGGHHHT Explain how something can work on one device and not the other??????
    I have not experienced any of these "bugs". Could it possibly be the "user settings" hmmmmm...dont mess with your phone if you dont know what youre doing

I use it for my business and it does everything I need it to do.

Believe me...if a day comes that i need it to do more then I will switch phones in a heartbeat. But IT WORKS FOR ME NOW. If it doesnt do what you need it to do then you should get a phone that does....
    How does that not make sense?

Seriously If you own a moterbike and your single...that works for you....when you add a wife and maybe a baby to the equation then that changes things so your vehicle should change as well.

If youre saying the phone hasnt worked since the beginning then why have you kept it?

Im not DEFENDING RIM....Im simply pointing out that its not hard to tell what will work for you and what wont.
    01-12-10 10:15 AM
    RIM does seem to be short sighted. The have BES/BIS and that is all they need...

Hardware - doing just enough is never going to be a successful business model.
    OS - I don't know about any other devices, but the STORMs do not work well with RIMs current OS and they seem to be very basic in comparison, especially in the UI department.
    Applications - This is the future of "smart-phones", people want to be able to do stuff with their phone. So just what is the limit to what you can have an app do? If you limit you hardware and your OS is buggy and difficult for developers to work with, you find the limits real quick.

Of course I also think that not all applications should be 3rd party, RIM needs to be developing their own applications in an attempt to make their phones more useful. I just wonder what would happen if Google Maps was changed so it would only work on Android phones...

When I purchased my STORM a year ago, I was limited to what Verizon was carrying at the time. There was not much of a choice in the touchscreen smart-phone Category, RIM won without much of a debate. But looking ahead to when I can upgrade this summer. STORM2 now has to compete with the Nexus One, Droid, Palm Pre Plus, and possible the iPhone 4GS... and whatever else is released in the next 6 months (of course I might could wait a few more months for the STORM3, but I doubt it).
    01-12-10 10:17 AM

When I purchased my STORM a year ago, I was limited to what Verizon was carrying at the time. There was not much of a choice in the touchscreen smart-phone Category, RIM won without much of a debate. But looking ahead to when I can upgrade this summer. STORM2 now has to compete with the Nexus One, Droid, Palm Pre Plus, and possible the iPhone 4GS... and whatever else is released in the next 6 months (of course I might could wait a few more months for the STORM3, but I doubt it).

EXACTLY MY POINT......does anyone really believe that in two years from now there wont be a BETTER phone than all of these out right now? Things change. Everything changes. You can either change wiith them or you can get left behind.

I AM NOT DEFENDING RIM, JRSCCivic 98, Im saying that if something doesnt work out for you why would you keep it? For instance. If you started dating a guy and he was awesome! He always wanted to be with you. Treated you like a godess! Then time goes by and you start needing more and he cant deliver. He gets a big belly and lets himself go. Are you going to a) stay with him and just complain to your girlfriends about how usless he is and blah blah blah.... OR b) would you start looking at the new guy at work differently cause hes mature and grown up and fit as a fiddle?

All Im trying to say is that sometimes things need to be changed. you cant always just stick something out because its what youre used to or what youre comfortable with. Why put yourself through the heartache and suffering when you can easily just ditch the problem?

Maybe Telus got all the "good" Stock hahah

PS. Any guy that didnt treat you like A goddess is a dumbass. You're gorgeous lol
    Last edited by jusdis; 01-12-10 at 10:34 AM.
    01-12-10 10:30 AM
    I have not experienced any of these "bugs". Could it possibly be the "user settings" hmmmmm...dont mess with your phone if you dont know what youre doing

Believe me...if a day comes that i need it to do more then I will switch phones in a heartbeat. But IT WORKS FOR ME NOW. If it doesnt do what you need it to do then you should get a phone that does....

Seriously If you own a moterbike and your single...that works for you....when you add a wife and maybe a baby to the equation then that changes things so your vehicle should change as well.

If youre saying the phone hasnt worked since the beginning then why have you kept it?

Im not DEFENDING RIM....Im simply pointing out that its not hard to tell what will work for you and what wont.
    Your STORM may work right for you... but you are kidding yourself if you believe that all the people here on the forums and the reviews who have looked at the STORM and had problems "just don't know what they are doing".

Civic and others are not out to get RIM or tear them down, they just "want" RIM to do better. I agree with you that BB is the best option today for those that need quick and reliable email. But do you believe that no one else is working on Exchange Email integration for the future? If that is ALL Rim has, what will the do when others have it plus better hardware and software.

And you said "In 15 minutes I personally can do a Google search and find a million and one OTHER breeders." A very good example of the problem with RIM's OS and Browser, if you were using an iPhone or a Droid you could have done it in 5 minutes.
    01-12-10 10:33 AM
    Your STORM may work right for you... but you are kidding yourself if you believe that all the people here on the forums and the reviews who have looked at the STORM and had problems "just don't know what they are doing".

Ok yes you may be right. those were definitly the WRONG choice of words.

Civic and others are not out to get RIM or tear them down, they just "want" RIM to do better. I agree with you that BB is the best option today for those that need quick and reliable email. But do you believe that no one else is working on Exchange Email integration for the future? If that is ALL Rim has, what will the do when others have it plus better hardware and software.
    Like I said. If and when that happened I would ABSOLUTLY start considering my other options. Which is what I would do for ANY OTHER SITUATION in my life where something didnt do what iI needed it to do. What I wouldnt do is sit there complaining about it.

And you said "In 15 minutes I personally can do a Google search and find a million and one OTHER breeders." A very good example of the problem with RIM's OS and Browser, if you were using an iPhone or a Droid you could have done it in 5 minutes.
    ZING!!! Got me there buddy. HAHAHA. BUT...as much as I look forward to a new browser from RIM, the way it functions as of now does not affect me to the point of tears. If it did...then I would nt be here...I would be out researching phones with better browsers.

We all want bigger and better and newer. Its human nature. But some of us cant let go of what we're comfortable with. Its as simple as that.

DONT BE AFRAID OF CHANGE!!!! ITS GOING TO HAPPEN WITH OR WITHOUT YOU.

Write that down
    01-12-10 10:45 AM

EXACTLY MY POINT......does anyone really believe that in two years from now there wont be a BETTER phone than all of these out right now? Things change. Everything changes. You can either change wiith them or you can get left behind.

I AM NOT DEFENDING RIM, JRSCCivic 98, Im saying that if something doesnt work out for you why would you keep it? For instance. If you started dating a guy and he was awesome! He always wanted to be with you. Treated you like a godess! Then time goes by and you start needing more and he cant deliver. He gets a big belly and lets himself go. Are you going to a) stay with him and just complain to your girlfriends about how usless he is and blah blah blah.... OR b) would you start looking at the new guy at work differently cause hes mature and grown up and fit as a fiddle?

All Im trying to say is that sometimes things need to be changed. you cant always just stick something out because its what youre used to or what youre comfortable with. Why put yourself through the heartache and suffering when you can easily just ditch the problem?

Maybe Telus got all the "good" Stock hahah

PS. Any guy that didnt treat you like A goddess is a dumbass. You're gorgeous lol
    The point is jusdis that thare are bugs in the software. You haven't seen them just like others haven't seen them. They have nothing to do with user settings or otherwise, as a matter of fact, in some cases a change to a user settings IS NEEDED to solve the small bug/issue with the OS. (Example of this is the black screen redraw lines that happen in SMS as you scroll in OS5.0.0.419 which is an offical release by MTS, so don't excuse it as being a prerelease version at all. You have to change it from bubbles to lines so that the problem goes away.) Stuff like this. There's also an issue with the Call Log and Phone History databases in OS5, which causes you to not be able to hit Menu in the Phone app while highlighting an entry from more then 30 days ago.

Trust me when I say that just because you haven't seen these issues, they don't exist. It has nothing to do with hardware, it's all software here. Also, my gripes with RIM is not that they aren't working to capitalize on their business. My gripe wth them is that they are making small and insignificant revision to these phones every 6 months and in most cases, aren't building them with robust enough hardware specs to work with their current OSs, let alone the next version up. They don't listen to their users and it's going to bite them big time.

I could go on and on about what's broken and needs fixing, but it's all already in the Findings threads for each OS. That's why those threads are so big... because we keep finding issues with them. Anyway, it's too long of a discussion to keep going on what's broken and what's not, but trust me... the issues are there my friend.

Oh, and as to the guy example you gave above... luckly I don't have to worry about that... ever. Guys don't appeal to me and the girls I know stay fit.
    01-12-10 10:50 AM
    The point is jusdis that thare are bugs in the software. You haven't seen them just like others haven't seen them. They have nothing to do with user settings or otherwise, as a matter of fact, in some cases a change to a user settings IS NEEDED to solve the small bug/issue with the OS. (Example of this is the black screen redraw lines that happen in SMS as you scroll in OS5.0.0.419 which is an offical release by MTS, so don't excuse it as being a prerelease version at all. You have to change it from bubbles to lines so that the problem goes away.) Stuff like this. There's also an issue with the Call Log and Phone History databases in OS5, which causes you to not be able to hit Menu in the Phone app while highlighting an entry from more then 30 days ago.

Trust me when I say that just because you haven't seen these issues, they don't exist. It has nothing to do with hardware, it's all software here. Also, my gripes with RIM is not that they aren't working to capitalize on their business. My gripe wth them is that they are making small and insignificant revision to these phones every 6 months and in most cases, aren't building them with robust enough hardware specs to work with their current OSs, let alone the next version up. They don't listen to their users and it's going to bite them big time.

I could go on and on about what's broken and needs fixing, but it's all already in the Findings threads for each OS. That's why those threads are so big... because we keep finding issues with them. Anyway, it's too long of a discussion to keep going on what's broken and what's not, but trust me... the issues are there my friend.

Oh, and as to the guy example you gave above... luckly I don't have to worry about that... ever. Guys don't appeal to me and the girls I know stay fit.

Thats the point im trying to make though. I lied a little about not experiencing bugs....I did get the black lines in sms as well. But it took me about five seconds to change the "user settings" that needed to be changed.

What Im saying is that if you have that many problems with something whats the point in keeping it if its not what you want it to be?

I strongly agree that RIM should step their game up and get with the times but in reality this wasnt REALLY an everyday consumer based os until 5.0 when it became more everday consumer friendly and prettier on the eyes etc etc. But as of now it works for ME and many other people (well only if you're on Telus lol)

When you got your Berry it was probably what you thought was the best thing out at the time for YOU....now things have changed...technology has changed.... things improve. Now its up to you to make the decision to stay or go.

I get that you're loyal to RIM and you probably still love your Berry, even a little bit...but if it cant handle you and keep up to your use then cut the ties...Move on.

Does that only make sense in my head or something?

Lucky girls.... Minus 1 for our team

*Edit*
    If I recall correctly the sms black lines occured when the settings are set to "bubbles" no? Im sure that "lines" was the original settings. Correct me if II am wrong. But that would be what I mean by "user settings". Its a bug yes. But is it a deal breaker for you to not have youre txts show up as bubbles? Or did you simply change it back and never thought of it again?
    Last edited by jusdis; 01-12-10 at 11:11 AM.
    01-12-10 11:06 AM
    The whole tired argument that RIM is focused on corporate users needs to finally die. Sure, that may have been their bread and butter at the start and for years afterward, but individual consumers have increasingly adopted Blackberry phones. RIM recognized this and attempted to actively court consumers by releasing the Storm. Now, RIM has two foci: corporate and consumer.

Besides, even if RIM's focus was solely on the corporate market, does that excuse the bugs and other issues that come with being a Blackberry user?

With regard to the Storm, I can give user error all the credit it deserves when it is due, and I assure you that Blackberries can be complicated enough devices that many users might suffer self-inflicted problems. But there have been problems with the Storm from the start, both hardware- and software-related, that have had nothing to do with the user.
    01-12-10 11:23 AM
    *Edit*
    If I recall correctly the sms black lines occured when the settings are set to "bubbles" no? Im sure that "lines" was the original settings. Correct me if II am wrong. But that would be what I mean by "user settings". Its a bug yes. But is it a deal breaker for you to not have youre txts show up as bubbles? Or did you simply change it back and never thought of it again?
    The default setting is bubbles, so you don't have an argument there. Plus, it worked in previous versions without issues. Again, gripe #10billion, why does RIM break stuff with each release and more to the point, why send these releases to carriers for certification if you know they have issues?

Anyway, it's not about sticking with a product and not moving on, it's about what direction RIM is heading in. I think we've gotten a bit off subject here with the discussion, but everything we discuss does not deter from the fact that RIM's heading in the direction the OP depicts.

Let me put this in a better perspective. I don't mind RIM making advancements (are you nuts... everything's like this). However, RIM's in the process now of updating some of its handsets to 256MB and enable OpenGL support. OK, that gives them abilites above the 128MB models and is ready for current OS revisions or near future releases that support this. However, 256MB models won't have enough memory to support what's coming of the next big OS revisions that RIM's already working on. So, why isn't RIM taking the opportunity to make all new unreleased revisions 512+MB models with support for whatever's needed 6 months from now? I'll tell you why... because RIM's got poor R&D to production timelines. They can't meet them at the rate the carriers expect them to, so they shortchange the technology advancements by 6 months or more in order to meet those deadlines. They make too many handsets and don't have enough R&D time to make proper technology/hardware strides in the time they need to release a new device. So, when they are presented with such a Catch22 scenario, instead of limiting the amount of devices they make or increasing their hardware support lifespans, they decided to trucate the timelines by only making minimal changes to handsets. A good example of this is the new 8910... what's different from the 8900? Touchpad instead of Trackball, double the memory, probably OpenGL capable, and that's about it. What major changes did they have to make to the 8900 platform? Not much... this allowed them to keep production costs down, make another handset that buys them another 6 months of usage from carriers/end users, and provides them with yet another income basis that's not all that advanced. In 6 months, it won't properly run the new OS versions coming out and we'll be arguing as to why no carrier has released the new OSs for that model. It's the same stuff over and over again.

Imagine if you will if Apple had released the 3GS with exactly the same speed as the 3G, nothing changed, a new color, no new OS, and just a compass. INSUFFICIENT ADVANCEMENT PER MODEL REFRESH is what we're talking about there. This is the sort of thing that you just don't see from other manufacturers. RIM needs to dial back the model knob to a controllable number and focus on more changes and more advancements per refresh period of those models.
    01-12-10 11:30 AM
    INSUFFICIENT ADVANCEMENT PER MODEL REFRESH is what we're talking about there..
    BINGO.

that's what kills me. tiiiiiiiiiiiiny upgrades to keep pushing hardware. Their software is subpar, but I like the functionality of my berry. Without more massive hardware boosts though, there's little reason for me to stay in berry town.

Which really makes me sad because i FRICKIN LOVE THE CLICK SCREEN!!!
    01-12-10 11:44 AM
    I always enjoy Civic's posts, no matter how disappointing the news may be. This is the story of my life. I recall, many, many years ago when I was married, buying the then, brand new Atari video game console for her son. At the time, it was a pricey, $200. Less than a year later, it was down to $99 and already out of date. I was an early adopter of most all of the computers to come out, paying high prices and then seeing the next, latest/greatest thing to come out.

For years, as my file inventory grew exponentially (I'm a photographer where every photo is 25MB BEFORE I do Photoshop work on them) I'd buy new, external hard drives. I held off on buying the largest drives as they were so expensive and well, I kept thinking "I'll never need that much memory." Today, with over 3TB of hard drive space (of which, I only have about 750 GB of free space left before I go and buy yet another external), I have finally learned to go ahead and buy the largest I can find/afford!

It's a vicious cycle, this whole technology thing. I too hoped my S2 would at least be RELEVANT for a year or more, LOL!
    01-12-10 11:53 AM
    So sad. But we knew this would happen. The storm has so little memory and no real room for expansion it seems. I'm dissapointed that the 1gb device memory was barely touched. Mine is supposedly using only 20mb of it. What a waste..

I'm honestly dissapointed with the speed at which RIM is developing phones like the storm. The storm 2 was an improvement for sure, but is it really that great compared to other touch screen smart phones? ooh wheeee you get wi-fi now..something the storm 1 should have had. 256mb of app memory, something the storm 1 should have had. its like they made up for everything the storm 1 should have had, but didn't bother to take it a step beyond, something to set it apart from other smart phones. The app memory is still severely limited, the browser still sucks and we still are getting truncated emails with a 3mb file limit. I'm sorry but that's just unacceptable for 2010, for me at least.

Sorry to gripe, my point isn't that RIM sucks, RIM is slow or any of this, but that they just aren't moving in the direction I am. I'm not due for an upgrade until July though, November should I choose to leave VZW, but unless RIM starts to make more than baby-step improvements, I don't think I'll be renewing my membership in the crackberry club (buying another blackberry, that is , not leaving crackberry or something crazy like that!)
    01-12-10 12:00 PM
    I stand corrected...

My point is that there isnt any good done from complaining about something you use everyday that you dont like. Keep it around and youre just going to be unhappy.

Unless you own stock with RIM or you made the perfect OS and they wont use it...theres really no point. It doesnt affect you UNLESS YOU CHOOSE to continue using their phones right?

Change takes time...Clearly they attempted to better the software. YOu have to admit that 5.0 is WAYYYY better than 4.7. Now they are abandoning it. Maybe they have realized it would be better to start over from scratchrather than try and fix it. BUT it still takes time to do that. 5.0 hasnt been out THAT long now has it?

Switch phones for now til they get their **** together or something. But if something bugs you to the point it makes your life difficult REGARDLESS of if you complain about it or not, then the only solution I see is to get rid of that something that upsets you enough that you have to complain about it.
    01-12-10 12:06 PM
    Thats very sad to hear, comsidering that most people still carry those models. And are wanting something more stable than what they have. It's like taking one step forward and two steps back....
    01-12-10 12:06 PM
    So sad. But we knew this would happen. The storm has so little memory and no real room for expansion it seems. I'm dissapointed that the 1gb device memory was barely touched. Mine is supposedly using only 20mb of it. What a waste..

I'm honestly dissapointed with the speed at which RIM is developing phones like the storm. The storm 2 was an improvement for sure, but is it really that great compared to other touch screen smart phones? ooh wheeee you get wi-fi now..something the storm 1 should have had. 256mb of app memory, something the storm 1 should have had. its like they made up for everything the storm 1 should have had, but didn't bother to take it a step beyond, something to set it apart from other smart phones. The app memory is still severely limited, the browser still sucks and we still are getting truncated emails with a 3mb file limit. I'm sorry but that's just unacceptable for 2010, for me at least.

Sorry to gripe, my point isn't that RIM sucks, RIM is slow or any of this, but that they just aren't moving in the direction I am. I'm not due for an upgrade until July though, November should I choose to leave VZW, but unless RIM starts to make more than baby-step improvements, I don't think I'll be renewing my membership in the crackberry club (buying another blackberry, that is , not leaving crackberry or something crazy like that!)
    See Snork has it figured out...He has come to the realization that while the phone may be good enough for others it isnt good for him. He has decided that when a certain time comes if its still a no go then he is going to make an advancement in his life and upgrade to something that DOES work for him. Thats life people. Things change. Things improve. Weve been adapting to change since the beginning of time. The only differance is now we're so spoiled with all the advancements that we expect the people working on these changes to DO IT NOW! ASAP!! While we sit back and wait to be spoilt with something that will make our lives just a little bit easier.
    01-12-10 12:14 PM
    So, when they are presented with such a Catch22 scenario, instead of limiting the amount of devices they make or increasing their hardware support lifespans, they decided to trucate the timelines by only making minimal changes to handsets.
    That's not all RIM truncates. Right, Civic?
    01-12-10 01:03 PM
    Done with rim.. Phone never worked right.. Still about a year for renewal.on Storm 1
    Have to use leaked version to get voice dial to work.. What a POS
    01-12-10 01:18 PM
    I honestly don't see the big deal in stopping development for Phones that are already outdated. I'm actually glad to hear they are moving on to bigger and better things. I like RIM, I want them to continue to stay competitive and increase innovation. Sounds like a step in the right direction. Or am I reading civics post wrong?
    01-12-10 01:36 PM
    Done with rim.. Phone never worked right.. Still about a year for renewal.on Storm 1
    Have to use leaked version to get voice dial to work.. What a POS
    that leaked version was made by RIM. Carriers decide whether or not to release it.
    01-12-10 02:26 PM
    Does it matter anymore? Its been gone over by civic already that RIM is more or less discontinuing the storm 1. Its over people, time to move on. We all jumped on thinking one thing and were woken up to another entirely. Its over now.S1 had its run and now its dead.
    Attachment 51549 i posted this before, here it is again.
    Last edited by strmtrooper; 01-12-10 at 05:34 PM.
    01-12-10 05:01 PM
    I'm running W7 Ultimate on a 4 year old laptop and it's running tip top. No, I didn't cheap out on the hardware, so I don't have to upgrade every year to two years. That's the secret...

RIM on the other hand seems to be under the understanding that giving us hardware that's very close to the $499 laptops of 2 years ago labled "Vista Ready" which comprised of Celeron based procs with Integrated/Shared Memory Video motherboards. Enjoy your POS BB model.... you'll be back in a year for the next model which may or may not run OpenGL on it.
    Ah..ah..ah, Well,first,im not against your will or idea,actually i admire you for opening this THREAD for giving us this kind of information.And i appreciate THAT!... But talking about the COMP....Well,Computer is is my World,my Life since 1990.The only thing i wanted is to let the people know what is happening to cell phone industries is like the same as Computer World.Actually i have a very Old Computer here that i assembled way back 1996 and still working fine w/ Windows XP 32bit,and do you believe that this is faster than the newest Win7?Why?Well that's gonna be my secret? But putting or installing some Newest application,that's a big Quest,so i need to buy a new hardware Pheripherals to upgrade it like M/B-Memory-Hard drive...etc. so instead why dont buy a brand new one rather than to spend that money for the upgrade?!...So got my point now?Peole now are High Tech Freak!Admit it or not,that true- let's face it!
    PEACE!!
    01-12-10 05:36 PM
    Ah..ah..ah, Well,first,im not against your will or idea,actually i admire you for opening this THREAD for giving us this kind of information.And i appreciate THAT!... But talking about the COMP....Well,Computer is is my World,my Life since 1990.The only thing i wanted is to let the people know what is happening to cell phone industries is like the same as Computer World.Actually i have a very Old Computer here that i assembled way back 1996 and still working fine w/ Windows XP 32bit,and do you believe that this is faster than the newest Win7?Why?Well that's gonna be my secret? But putting or installing some Newest application,that's a big Quest,so i need to buy a new hardware Pheripherals to upgrade it like M/B-Memory-Hard drive...etc. so instead why dont buy a brand new one rather than to spend that money for the upgrade?!...So got my point now?Peole now are High Tech Freak!Admit it or not,that true- let's face it!
    PEACE!!
    Is it possible to rewrite this in english?
    01-12-10 05:39 PM
    PEACE!!
    Mr. tobleron, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
    01-12-10 05:41 PM
    AH!! GREAT NEWS!!
    You see, when 4.7 was the latest and greatest, it was still full of bugs when they switched to 5.0. So NOW *maybe* finally they get around to just finishing the (&^*(_) OS for a change. Develop it through and through, slowly but surely. So FINALLY I will have a stable and good device in a year, which I payed for more than a year ago.

RIM Sucks. And so do people and companies who accept and thus stimulate this line of development. The only reason it is happening this way is because we accept it and they make us think we want it, because... hey: you do want the latest and the greatest right? Never mind if it doesnt work...

My toaster does dishes.... my phone folds the laundry...

Ok, bad example... I like that functionality. Hope it doesn't go in future releases.
    01-12-10 06:01 PM
    PEACE!!
    Is it possible to rewrite this in english?
    Translation:

"The old crap works just fine as long as you don't try to make it do new stuff."

LOL
    01-12-10 06:06 PM
234 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD