I'm on .75 and start with 32mb on boot up. In 12 hours I will be down to 15 or so. Performance starts suffering under 20mb. The apps I have are:

Facebook
    Google Sync
    Google talk (rarely used, never in background)
    meterberrry
    Pandora(always shut down never in bg)
    Poynt
    QuickLaunch
    Storm slider (suspect for leak)
    Ubertwitter (never on in bg, just on to check then exit)
    Viigo (same at ubertwitter)
    VZ navigator (same as viigo/ubertwitter)
    Weatherbug(also suspect)

I am very good about closing through BB menu and not back button. Always exit all programs, nothing is running in the bg except StormSlider and I assume Weatherbug when it updates. Any ideas or if it is even a problem?
    I am already down to 24ish with a 6am reboot as scheduled.
    05-28-09 12:21 PM
    Hmm. For that many apps it would appear as you would have some leak, but idk about that extreme. Do you really use all of the apps? Also, do you have any 3rd party themes?

Ever thought of trying one of the newer OS's?
    05-28-09 12:23 PM
    Hmm. For that many apps it would appear as you would have some leak, but idk about that extreme. Do you really use all of the apps? Also, do you have any 3rd party themes?

Ever thought of trying one of the newer OS's?
    I use all of them except google talk almost every day. google talk once a week or so.

I cant use a leak because there is no DM for a Mac.
    05-28-09 12:28 PM
    I would recommend upgrading to .148 regardless of how your mem leak shakes out. It's just a much better OS to run the phone on. If you for some reason, don't like it, you can always put .75 back on.

As to the mem leak, one thing you can do is perform a 3rd party backup, then delete all 3rd part apps from the phone. Leave it with just the basic stuff for a few hours and keep an eye on your mem. Then start adding apps back, one at a time. Give each one a few hours or more. Checking your mem throughout the process should tell you which one is causing problems. You might check on the bad app and see if they have a newer version to try.

As a side note, I never pay too much attention to my mem, AS LONG AS the phone is still functioning well. You did, however say that your phone gets sluggish and that's a problem worth solving. I'll also tell you that most who reply to your thread here are going to tell you that WeatherBug is a mem problem. I have always had WeatherBug on my Storm and never had mem issues from it. That doesn't mean that it's not causing problems on your phone, just don't let anyone lead you to that conclusion without testing it.

Grey
    05-28-09 12:34 PM
    I use all of them except google talk almost every day. google talk once a week or so.

I could not imagine having this phone without PC access for DM, backups and upgrades. I don't know any details about this, but I remember reading some threads here regarding mac users installing a virtual Windows environment on their mac to run DM. If your interested, do a search for it.

Grey
    05-28-09 12:36 PM

You can always use a friends computer, computer at work, etc. An upgrade would definitely make a difference and is worth the time and effort.

I've experimented with Weatherbug on my phone as well as uninstalling. It might just be me...but I think weatherbug may be causing this so-called memory leak. It isn't significant but i've noticed that everyone has varying experiences with third party apps. Some phones are affected more than others.

Take dreamtobelieve's advice. Go for the update.
    05-28-09 12:37 PM
    I would recommend upgrading to .148 regardless of how your mem leak shakes out. It's just a much better OS to run the phone on. If you for some reason, don't like it, you can always put .75 back on.

As to the mem leak, one thing you can do is perform a 3rd party backup, then delete all 3rd part apps from the phone. Leave it with just the basic stuff for a few hours and keep an eye on your mem. Then start adding apps back, one at a time. Give each one a few hours or more. Checking your mem throughout the process should tell you which one is causing problems. You might check on the bad app and see if they have a newer version to try.

As a side note, I never pay too much attention to my mem, AS LONG AS the phone is still functioning well. You did, however say that your phone gets sluggish and that's a problem worth solving. I'll also tell you that most who reply to your thread here are going to tell you that WeatherBug is a mem problem. I have always had WeatherBug on my Storm and never had mem issues from it. That doesn't mean that it's not causing problems on your phone, just don't let anyone lead you to that conclusion without testing it.

Grey

Grey is right. I'm using Weatherbug and I haven't noticed any changes with my memory. Its interesting to read up on different experiences with that app.
    05-28-09 12:40 PM
    I could not imagine having this phone without PC access for DM, backups and upgrades. I don't know any details about this, but I remember reading some threads here regarding mac users installing a virtual Windows environment on their mac to run DM. If your interested, do a search for it.

Grey
    I would but my Mac is a few years old and doesn't have the speed or hard drive space to handle it right now. I am hoping to get a new one in a year or so and will set up a virtual machine then. Maybe I can talk my wife into letting me backup on her laptop.
    05-28-09 12:40 PM
    I know of people who install DM and an update, then connect their storm, update it and then uninstall DM and the OS update from that computer. I'm sure if you talk to your wife about this, she would let you use her laptop.

Its worth the upgrade as most people are quite pleased once they've done it.
    05-28-09 12:46 PM
    try doing a security>wipe handheld, and don't restore, just sync contacts/calendar, and re-install apps and change settings manually.

somehow the databases can become corrupt. it's fixed a lot of other people's problems. maybe even go a day or two without the apps and see if the memory issues persist...
    05-28-09 01:10 PM
    try doing a security>wipe handheld, and don't restore, just sync contacts/calendar, and re-install apps and change settings manually.

somehow the databases can become corrupt. it's fixed a lot of other people's problems. maybe even go a day or two without the apps and see if the memory issues persist...
    I may try that. Makes me a little nervous cause sometimes PocketMac syncs stuff funny. I use that for contacts and GoogleSync for calendar
    05-28-09 01:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD