I have never seen memory over 40. This is rediculous for such an expensive device.
    06-03-09 11:51 AM
    you're all worrying too much about how much memory you have vs. the performance of your device. memory is meant to be used. wtf is the point of having 50 megs of app memory if it just sits there unused? it's like having a really well cooked steak, perfectly seasoned and cooked...and just staring at it and not eating it.

memory is a resource, to be utilized. don't put the pu**y on a pedistal.
    06-03-09 11:58 AM
    you're all worrying too much about how much memory you have vs. the performance of your device. memory is meant to be used. wtf is the point of having 50 megs of app memory if it just sits there unused? it's like having a really well cooked steak, perfectly seasoned and cooked...and just staring at it and not eating it.

THANK YOU.

Please listen to this man.
    06-03-09 12:16 PM
    No themes. I have a pic that I took on my homescreen. Eight icons on my homescreen, no icons, 3rd party apps are weatherbug, viigo, THN, The street.com, flycast, twitterberry, slacker, quickpull,youtube, crackberry.

At any given time I am running viigo, Weatherbug and the base apps. Thoughts?
    Viigo is a known memory hog if you leave it running. Plus the program itself is enormous. I would uninstall that and retest to see what happens...
    06-03-09 12:36 PM

Completely agree. I have 50+ apps on my phone. I never check my app memory except after a reboot. Which is a once a month that I do it. Any other time it is done because of a program update/removal or OS update. I have no problems with lag or any other issues.
    06-03-09 12:39 PM
    I haven't looked at my memory in days, right now it's sitting at 49.3 mb, I do use quickpull.
    06-03-09 12:41 PM
    I had the same problem, boot 44 mb, be at 29 within 2 hours...

just installed the .151 hybrid, and im at a steady 48mb after 36 hours, quicklaunch, pattern lock, vlingo, many many games, and beejive (i dont use BBM though, so thats NEVER running for me)
    06-03-09 12:44 PM
    I am not worried about how much free memory I have. But when my memory drops from 40 to 1 in two hours and my phone slows to a screeching halt , I tend to believe that the two correlate to each other. Prior to .148, I didn't worry, because it was fairly stable and rarely ever bogged down or had lag issues. Now all of a sudden, the memory is slipping away before my eyes and I have to do battery pulls every few hours. That's unacceptable.

Now on a lighter note. Before I went through the whole wipe as suggested above, I decided to delete the theme I was running that I have had since before the update. Well, apparently that particular theme doesn't play nicely with .148 because I no longer have the memory leak and lag that I've had since Sunday.
    06-03-09 01:11 PM
    I am not worried about how much free memory I have. But when my memory drops from 40 to 1 in two hours and my phone slows to a screeching halt , I tend to believe that the two correlate to each other. Prior to .148, I didn't worry, because it was fairly stable and rarely ever bogged down or had lag issues. Now all of a sudden, the memory is slipping away before my eyes and I have to do battery pulls every few hours. That's unacceptable.

Now on a lighter note. Before I went through the whole wipe as suggested above, I decided to delete the theme I was running that I have had since before the update. Well, apparently that particular theme doesn't play nicely with .148 because I no longer have the memory leak and lag that I've had since Sunday.
    You bring up a good point. Themes tend to be huge memory leaks. It seems that any theme that I have tried to run drags the phone down. If I am running the stock Zen theme I have no speed issues.
    06-03-09 01:20 PM

good work, i suggest posting your findings in this thread

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/re...y-leak-235048/
    06-03-09 01:22 PM
    I've noticed with .148 my mem would hold strong for the first week of running, after that my memory just slowly dwindled away during the day.

I have acually noticed that most OS are like this, takes a week or 2 for the memory to start leaking away.
    06-03-09 01:31 PM
    I've noticed with .148 my mem would hold strong for the first week of running, after that my memory just slowly dwindled away during the day.

I have acually noticed that most OS are like this, takes a week or 2 for the memory to start leaking away.
    That is 3rd party applications doing that. If the OS has a memory leak it will be there from day one. 3rd party apps working together tend to have this time delay. To offset that try turning your memory cleaner on to run automatically.
    06-03-09 01:40 PM
    Ran the leak .148 and then reinstalled cause i was bored with the Verizon official .148 Shrunk down.
    I run a ton of apps. on a BES-

App List- BBweather, Opera Mini, Face Book, VZ Nav, Quick Launch, BES Mailbox, Myspace, Beamreader, level, bbfilescout, Documents to go, my verizon app, Super Pages app, tapomania (game)Storm Sketch, sexy dice, Empower SMS viewer, tip calculator, log maid, Meterberry and Slacker radio
    Launchers- Espn, Linkdein, usa today, chase, google, mobihome, tmz, crackberry, tigers.com, perez Hilton, ebay, detroit redwings, Detroit News, Detroit Free Press.

I reboot every morning for a fresh start when i am showering. (I use the fuction on Meterberry that allows me to reset my phone with out having to pull the battery.)

Even with all of those apps and launchers, I start out at 41.2 roughly and the lowest I have gotten was 17.3.
    I have also noticed that i get huge gains in memory back, on the official .148 as high as 19.8 in a given � hour.
    My phone runs great at startup and even at the low point of 17.3.
    i guess the point is this, who cares, unless the phone is slow and sluggish, don’t worry about it. I have meterberry, and after a while i just switched the icon on my home screen to show my battery level. I have set meterberry to tell me notify me when my memory gets below ten, never have gotten a notice. I had to expect the fact that the memory is going to go up and down, and only if sluggish would I do a battery pull. OCD about memory = BAD

good work, i suggest posting your findings in this thread

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/re...y-leak-235048/
    Also- do what patches say's. he knows what he is talking about and he has helped a ton of people
    Last edited by polar135; 06-03-09 at 03:24 PM.
    06-03-09 02:22 PM
    Ran the leak .148 and then reinstalled cause i was bored with the Verizon official .148 Shrunk down.
    I run a ton of apps. on a BES-

App List- BBweather, Opera Mini, Face Book, VZ Nav, Quick Launch, BES Mailbox, Myspace, Beamreader, level, bbfilescout, Documents to go, my verizon app, Super Pages app, tapomania (game)Storm Sketch, sexy dice, Empower SMS viewer, tip calculator, log maid and Slacker radio
    Launchers- Espn, Linkdein, usa today, chase, google, mobihome, tmz, crackberry, tigers.com, perez Hilton, ebay, detroit redwings, Detroit News, Detroit Free Press.

I reboot every morning for a fresh start when i am showering.

Even with all of those apps and launchers, I start out at 41.2 roughly and the lowest I have gotten was 17.3.
    I have also noticed that i get huge gains in memory back, on the official .148 as high as 19.8 in a given � hour.
    My phone runs great at startup and even at the low point of 17.3.
    i guess the point is this, who cares, unless the phone is slow and sluggish, don�t worry about it. I have meterberry, and after a while i just switched the icon on my home screen to show my battery level. I have set meterberry to tell me notify me when my memory gets below ten, never have gotten a notice. I had to expect the fact that the memory is going to go up and down, and only if sluggish would I do a battery pull. OCD about memory = BAD

Also- do what patches say's. he knows what he is talking about and he has helped a ton of people
    So why do you bother with the battery pull in the morning if the phone is running fine? I never pull my battery personally. Takes too much time and effort. You know the line. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Same applies here.
    06-03-09 03:02 PM
    So why do you bother with the battery pull in the morning if the phone is running fine? I never pull my battery personally. Takes too much time and effort. You know the line. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Same applies here.
    1-I don’t pull the battery, i use meterberry that has a built in reset device function that works great so i don’t have to pull the battery. Before that I used quick pull. Takes all of ten seconds to push a button, and the phone boots back up within 5 minutes. I also do it the morning as i can keep the phone plugged in so not to drain my battery and when the phone is resetting I’m in the shower and i could care less if anyone calls me then.

2- My phone has to work all the time. back when the storm originally came out, i found that if i used quick pull or the meterberry reset function, the phone seems to run better. I will have to play next weekend and not do my morning reset and see how my memory does. The morning reset is more of a habit now vs a needed thing to do imo. Kinda like my morning cup of coffee.
    Last edited by polar135; 06-03-09 at 03:26 PM.
    06-03-09 03:22 PM
    1-I don�t pull the battery, i use meterberry that has a built in reset device function that works great so i don�t have to pull the battery. Before that I used quick pull. Takes all of ten seconds to push a button, and the phone boots back up within 5 minutes. I also do it the morning as i can keep the phone plugged in so not to drain my battery and when the phone is resetting I�m in the shower and i could care less if anyone calls me then.

2- My phone has to work all the time. back when the storm originally came out, i found that if i used quick pull or meter berry reset function, the phone seems to run better. I will have to play next weekend and not do my morning reset and see how my memory does. The morning reset is more of a habit now vs a needed thing to do. Kinda like my morning cup of coffee.
    I am not saying that pulling the battery is a bad thing. I am just saying "Why?" Give it a shot you might find that you are saving yourself 10 seconds in the morning by not doing this.
    06-03-09 03:26 PM
    1-I don�t pull the battery, i use meterberry that has a built in reset device function that works great so i don�t have to pull the battery. Before that I used quick pull. Takes all of ten seconds to push a button, and the phone boots back up within 5 minutes. I also do it the morning as i can keep the phone plugged in so not to drain my battery and when the phone is resetting I�m in the shower and i could care less if anyone calls me then.

2- My phone has to work all the time. back when the storm originally came out, i found that if i used quick pull or the meterberry reset function, the phone seems to run better. I will have to play next weekend and not do my morning reset and see how my memory does. The morning reset is more of a habit now vs a needed thing to do imo. Kinda like my morning cup of coffee.
    so then don't do the "reset" every day and see how you do...see if you're as efficent with memory as possible. just as a test. do it on a weekend or day off or something.
    06-03-09 03:30 PM
    I am not saying that pulling the battery is a bad thing. I am just saying "Why?" Give it a shot you might find that you are saving yourself 10 seconds in the morning by not doing this.
    so then don't do the "reset" every day and see how you do...see if you're as efficent with memory as possible. just as a test. do it on a weekend or day off or something.
    I will try it this weekend. Seems not to be a fair comparison since i don�t use my phone nearly as much on the weekend but hey what the heck.
    06-03-09 03:55 PM
    well then don't reset it going forward until you HAVE to reset it due to lag/freezing. see how you can do,

you can see your uptime by holding the phone in portrait, holding the "clear/back" button, and click in sequence, top left, top right, top left, top right.

screen shot and let us know how you fare.
    06-03-09 04:04 PM
    I have an unlocked Storm on Att and have tried several os's and had memory leak issues with every one. It wasn't until I tried what patches152 suggested, Wipe Handheld, re-install os , Do Not restore from back up that memory leaked improved. I obviously had corrupt files within my data. I boot up around 53 and only drop to around 45 throughout the day. I also have memory gain as well to where it will drop to 45 or so and then back up to around 50. I have also experienced better battery life as well.
    06-03-09 05:00 PM
    one of 2 qualms i have with .148 is the memory leak. I boot up in the low 30's because i have a lot of apps on my phone and within 6 - 8 hours i am usually below 10MBs sometimes below 1MB. it is some what annoying!!!
    06-03-09 05:33 PM
    one of 2 qualms i have with .148 is the memory leak. I boot up in the low 30's because i have a lot of apps on my phone and within 6 - 8 hours i am usually below 10MBs sometimes below 1MB. it is some what annoying!!!
    Without looking at the memory, how is the phone running?
    06-03-09 05:57 PM
    It isn't running bad except it has been rebooting a lot in the past couple of hours

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-09 06:00 PM
    It isn't running bad except it has been rebooting a lot in the past couple of hours

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Sounds like you have a 3rd party app or theme sucking you dry.
    06-03-09 06:03 PM
    since the upgrade to 148 does anyone have problems with there blackberry messenger showing your contacts unreachable after trying to send them messages? After a battery pull it seems fine for a while but its unpredictable...
    06-03-09 06:17 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD