I'm really liking the Blackberry Storm 2 - I bought it off a dude on Craigslist because I dropped my other phone in a toilet but let's not even go there. Thus far the battery life is ...underwhelming to say the VERY least. I can go from full charge to roughly about 60% battery life in say about 45 minutes or so? Is that typical of this phone? Did someone sell me a BB with a crap battery?
    Last edited by pzykotic; 06-17-11 at 12:39 PM.
    06-17-11 12:35 PM
    Which version of OS are you running?
    06-17-11 12:36 PM
    Which version of OS are you running?
    5.0.0.718 - OS version does not seem to make much difference. I've tried about five of them so far. In fact, I tried the last five that were released officially/unofficially by Verizon.
    06-17-11 12:39 PM
    Have you cleaned the battery prongs?
    On the battery, and the device itself.
    06-17-11 12:56 PM
    Have you cleaned the battery prongs?
    On the battery, and the device itself.
    No, how do you do that? You don't mean the old eraser trick on copper leads to buff/clean them do you? If so, no that never occurred to me.

UPDATE

I looked online and found some people saying rubbing alcohol works well - I cleaned the battery contacts off good on the battery and the handset and it indeed brought the battery up from 60% to 75%. So I assume I fixed the problem.
    Last edited by pzykotic; 06-17-11 at 01:44 PM.
    06-17-11 01:11 PM
    everything was actually going pretty good and then while on a call my battery went from the displayed 92% all the way down to 9% and the radio shut off on me. Maybe it wasn't fully charged at all?
    06-17-11 03:17 PM
    Let it sit until it's fully charged, and then see where it gets you.
    You might just have to get a whole new battery.
    06-17-11 03:26 PM
    I've never done this but I read a post somewhere that someone bought batteries for the S2 for as little as $5 on ebay.

Good Luck
    06-17-11 07:49 PM
    what i did was i bought a stand alone charger where you put the battery itself in there and a separate battery i let the battery drain all the way down put that battery in the charger and use my spare,, that seems to actually recondition the battery and helps it last longer,
    06-18-11 07:14 AM
    Here's one for you - I took the battery out of my spare 9650 (which uses the same battery btw) and placed it in the Storm 2. Everything was actually working awesome until about an hour and a half in when the device spazzed out, refused to boot and now nothing.

I put the battery in and the devices LED just blinks red continuously as the device seems to be in a boot loop. I pulled the battery out thinking "oh god it's crashed, time to reinstall the O/S" so I let it sync up via USB without battery, wiped the OS clean and installed anew. To me surprise, when I took the USB cable out the device stopped workingly entirely. When I put USB back in, it booted up perfectly.

I put the OLD battery back in (also a DX-1 battery) and no problems (aside from the fact that it lives for only about two hours and then needs a charge). Thoughts? Why the **** is a PERFECTLY clean battery that works in/out of my 9650/9630 causing trouble in the Storm 2? It's not the device, the old battery works just fine.
    06-18-11 06:13 PM
    Hi guys , a week ago my storm start rebooting something what didn't really happened before to me . Also after rebooting the battery was completely drain and the radio was off with no chance to be turned on because of drained battery . After 7 or 8 of this kind of reboots I went to the verizon store where to my surprise they figure out the problem . The battery was a little deformed and the guy helping me told me I need a new battery because the one I have is 19 months old and just not working properly any more . Since the new battery I have no more problems .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-11 07:47 PM
    Well the thing is, this is a new battery. In fact the new battery is behaving worse than the ratty two year old one that's in it.

EDIT

Here's another semi-interesting possibly semi-connected issue. I just went and pulled the 16 gig MicroSD card out of the phone although I'm not exactly sure what possessed me to do this, the phone seems to boot faster, work remarkably faster and I've yet to suffer a reboot yet *crosses fingers* I always thought that MicroSD card size was a work of the OS and not the handset, if that's not true - is 16 just too big for the phone? I put a 2 gig one in and still it's working like a champ now.

EDIT THREE HOURS LATER

Back to rebooting again with the new battery. Sometimes the phone just turns off and claims that the battery isn't charging (I'm getting a white battery icon with a red x). Old piece of junk battery works perfectly fine (aside from not actually lasting longer than two hours) new battery causes reboots/phone to claim it's dead or not charging.
    Last edited by pzykotic; 06-19-11 at 09:35 AM.
    06-19-11 07:04 AM
    Well the thing is, this is a new battery. In fact the new battery is behaving worse than the ratty two year old one that's in it.

EDIT

Here's another semi-interesting possibly semi-connected issue. I just went and pulled the 16 gig MicroSD card out of the phone although I'm not exactly sure what possessed me to do this, the phone seems to boot faster, work remarkably faster and I've yet to suffer a reboot yet *crosses fingers* I always thought that MicroSD card size was a work of the OS and not the handset, if that's not true - is 16 just too big for the phone? I put a 2 gig one in and still it's working like a champ now.

EDIT THREE HOURS LATER

Back to rebooting again with the new battery. Sometimes the phone just turns off and claims that the battery isn't charging (I'm getting a white battery icon with a red x). Old piece of junk battery works perfectly fine (aside from not actually lasting longer than two hours) new battery causes reboots/phone to claim it's dead or not charging.
    How do you know if it takes three hours to happen with the new battery and the old battery isn't lasting more than 2 hours?
    06-19-11 11:07 AM
    How do you know if it takes three hours to happen with the new battery and the old battery isn't lasting more than 2 hours?
    Should I have said "I estimate" instead? I came to this conclusion through observation. The "old" battery that came with the phone tolerates about moderate usage and at around 3 hours of use the battery is drained to at least 40% usually it just drops off completely and turns off the radio.

The "new battery" lasts much longer but reboots of the phone occur at regular intervals, sometimes the phone won't even boot at all - it claims (while not even being plugged in to a power source) that there's no battery in the phone (white battery with red x).
    Last edited by pzykotic; 06-19-11 at 12:00 PM.
    06-19-11 11:09 AM
    Should I have said "I estimate" instead? I came to this conclusion through observation. The "old" battery that came with the phone tolerates about moderate usage and at around 3 hours of use the battery is drained to at least 40% usually it just drops off completely and turns off the radio.

The "new battery" lasts much longer but reboots of the phone occur at regular intervals, sometimes the phone won't even boot at all - it claims (while not even being plugged in to a power source) that there's no battery in the phone (white battery with red x).

Define "moderate usage."

I have Sirius/XM app on my S2 and it zaps the battery pretty quickly. I use Wifi at work to run the app and usually by 1 when I take my lunch if the phone isn't plugged in at least some of the time, I'm at half a battery.
    06-20-11 10:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD