oh Desktop Manager. yea im not always home so OTA is perfect and i dont have to waist my time worring about it.
    aside from the lack of DM or PC knowledge factor, it backs up automatically so you dont have to worry about the last time you saved your info.

for many people, the contacts are the most important part of the phone database. applications can be downloaded again, emails can usually be retrieved online. but if you lose your contacts, it's pretty much game over.
    why not use mIQ from "BestBuy".

isn't it a "better" OTA backup service since it does more than just contacts.?
    Basically, Backup assistant used to be pretty much a tool for transferring contacts from one device to another device on Verizon's network. I'm not sure if the newest version has more detail (I haven't used it in well over a year), but a lot of contact info that could be stored on a BB contact isn't available using backup assistant, although this may very well have changed now that it is available for BB devices as well.

You have a Verizon phone, and a Verizon plan, this is just a way to integrate your contacts list with your online account (Verizon network specific sync), and make it easy to transfer them to another phone on the Verizon network should you need to.

In my opinion, it doesn't really replace using DM for backups (Blackberry specific sync), or a tool like Google Sync (Email provider specific sync)...it just serves a slightly different purpose. It just so happens that Blackberries support contact syncing from many different sources...other phones and/or services do not, so having your info backed up in the proper place can be important if you need to retrieve it or restore it later.

For example: If I decided I didn't need a Blackberry anymore and decided to get an LG enV3 instead, I could use backup assistant to restore my contacts, or if I got a droid, I could sync with my gmail contacts -- I could not, however, in either case, restore my contacts using DM.
    Last edited by PaintDrinkingPete; 04-13-10 at 12:21 PM.
    04-13-10 12:14 PM
    Don't bother with Backup Assistant... I use Best Buy's free mIQ app. It backups contacts, messaging, photos, video, voicemail and calendar. Works great on my Storm2. It's a much better solution IMO. Free mobile phone contact, photo, video and text message backup :: mIQ
    Last edited by jay_storm; 04-13-10 at 09:10 PM.
    04-13-10 09:05 PM
    This also worked on my Curve 8530! I was so happy i felt that I needed to create a user account just to thank you!

THANK YOU!
    04-20-10 07:02 PM
    In my opinion, it doesn't really replace using DM for backups (Blackberry specific sync), or a tool like Google Sync (Email provider specific sync)...it just serves a slightly different purpose.
    Google Sync isn't email-provider specific. You can use it to sync contacts from all providers, across platforms, regardless of program.

With the Google Sync plugin for Outlook, I can sync all of my Outlook contacts with a Gmail account. The BB plugin also synchronizes with my Gmail account.

A change made on my BlackBerry, desktop computer, laptop or netbook propagates to all of the other devices within about an hour when they have an Internet connection.
    04-27-10 08:27 PM
    Google Sync isn't email-provider specific. You can use it to sync contacts from all providers, across platforms, regardless of program.

With the Google Sync plugin for Outlook, I can sync all of my Outlook contacts with a Gmail account. The BB plugin also synchronizes with my Gmail account.

A change made on my BlackBerry, desktop computer, laptop or netbook propagates to all of the other devices within about an hour when they have an Internet connection.
    I think you're reading what I said the wrong way. I referred to it as email-provider specific because in order to access the contacts on another device (or via the web), you need to be able to access your gmail account, because that is what the contacts are synced to. Since it is a two-way sync, yes, it is possible to sync contacts from multiple sources that are present on your device.

Based on my example, if you were to buy an LG EnV3 on Verizon, you would not be able to access and transfer your contacts from gmail, because this device (to the best of knowledge) has no Google sync capability. You would, however, be able to sync all of your contacts from Verizon's backup assistant.

Basically, it doesn't really matter what you use to backup your device contact info...but it may matter what you use to RESTORE contact to a DIFFERENT device and/or a device on a different network.
    04-27-10 08:58 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD