Hey guys, two quick questions in anticipation of the update this afternoon.

1) I've heard conflicting things as to how disastrous an upgrade can be to contacts, apps, etc...if I update via ota, will I really lose all those things?

2) I'm on a Mac and haven't been able to find ANYWHERE how I can backup my data. Is there a way I can backup to my SD?

Thanks for the help!
    05-31-09 10:55 AM
    I'd begin by reading the pinned "NOOB" thread at the top of this forum. Answers a good many questions.
    05-31-09 11:16 AM
    If you're a Mac user, you will have to wait until the OTA, unless you can run Windows in Paralells or Bootcamp, or some other emulation and load the DM. I'm not a Mac, so I can't help you with this, but I've read people haven't had a lot of luck with this.

The OTA should not wipe your contacts, etc. However, it's always a good idea to back up first. Better safe then sorry. There are Mac applications that will allow you to synch your contacts and calendar, try searching the forums for PocketMac or MissingSync.

Most of my upgrades have been without losing any data. A couple times the restore failed to restore all the Calendar entries, but I just resync'd with Outlook to restore those. My upgrade history went something like:

65 - 75 -99 -103 - 109 - 114 -113 - 114hybrid -113 - 122 - 132 - 141 - 148

I tried a couple other hybrids in there as well around 141. I'm currently running straight 148. In all those upgrades/downgrades, I think I only had a problem with the restore on two of those.
    05-31-09 11:31 AM
    Use POCKETMAC
    05-31-09 11:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD