I just upgraded to .419 on my Storm 9530 and they have it set so the SMS keyboard doesn't show up until you click the text box or that damn little keyboard icon, then click in the text box again otherwise it jumps around the messages. Most people seem thrilled by this new thing, but I think it's a giant pain in the @$$. I am trying to text and reply as fast as possible, and now I have extra stepz. Is there a way to make it show up automatically again? I understand the idea behind it is to show more of the message, but really, an sms is only 160 characters, which the screen space with the keyboard up is more than adequate to accommodate. If you're receiving that many texts at once that you need to read the past 4 SMS's maybe you should just call that person instead? Excuse me for being hasty, but really. I'm rather displeased by this and most others are excited. Give us options, RIM! I like looking at options and changing them. I think we all agree that pressing buttons is our favorite thing to do! =]

Thanks guys.
    12-21-09 02:50 PM
    I just upgraded to .419 on my Storm 9530 and they have it set so the SMS keyboard doesn't show up until you click the text box or that damn little keyboard icon, then click in the text box again otherwise it jumps around the messages. Most people seem thrilled by this new thing, but I think it's a giant pain in the @$$. I am trying to text and reply as fast as possible, and now I have extra stepz. Is there a way to make it show up automatically again? I understand the idea behind it is to show more of the message, but really, an sms is only 160 characters, which the screen space with the keyboard up is more than adequate to accommodate. If you're receiving that many texts at once that you need to read the past 4 SMS's maybe you should just call that person instead? Excuse me for being hasty, but really. I'm rather displeased by this and most others are excited. Give us options, RIM! I like looking at options and changing them. I think we all agree that pressing buttons is our favorite thing to do! =]

Thanks guys.
    The removal of the SMS keyboard is a function of the OS. The only way to change it is to revert to an earlier OS. And afterall, it's only a button push
    12-21-09 02:58 PM
    Because that's one of the better changes they've made in recent times. Nothing like opening a txt to see a tiny little window of words and no display pic for the contact that sent it to you until you swipe the keyboard down to see everything first. Definitely glad they made that change.

If you want to talk about terrible changes, those much sought after pop up keys are COMPLETELY useless. I really can't, for the life of me, understand how anyone could find that useful in any way. Unless you're some kind of wizard blasting away at a massive 10wpm, the keys pop up and vanish WAY too fast to even recognize what letter was displayed.

With all the people absolutely crying over pop up keys since the 5.0 OS debuted, there must be a lot of people that just type PAINFULLY slow on their storm. Just brutal.
    12-21-09 04:55 PM
    I like the popup keys for password entries. At least one is sure of what is being entered. But for the most part, yeah one does not need them.

Because that's one of the better changes they've made in recent times. Nothing like opening a txt to see a tiny little window of words and no display pic for the contact that sent it to you until you swipe the keyboard down to see everything first. Definitely glad they made that change.

If you want to talk about terrible changes, those much sought after pop up keys are COMPLETELY useless. I really can't, for the life of me, understand how anyone could find that useful in any way. Unless you're some kind of wizard blasting away at a massive 10wpm, the keys pop up and vanish WAY too fast to even recognize what letter was displayed.

With all the people absolutely crying over pop up keys since the 5.0 OS debuted, there must be a lot of people that just type PAINFULLY slow on their storm. Just brutal.
    12-21-09 05:08 PM
    assign the camera button to "virtual keyboard". The button will still work for snapping pictures but when not in camera mode it will bring up the keyboard fast enough.

I can't believe the little things people make such a huge issue out of. just sayin'!
    12-21-09 05:12 PM
    assign the camera button to "virtual keyboard". The button will still work for snapping pictures but when not in camera mode it will bring up the keyboard fast enough.
    You sir are a master! I bow down to you. Though I chose the left key to bring it up because i hold the phone in my right hand so my palm covers the camera button when i'm finger-blasting words.

I also agree the pop-up keys thing is pretty much 100% useless.

Thanks again guys!
    12-22-09 03:37 PM
    SMS auto-keyboard disabled FTW!
    12-22-09 03:54 PM
    The lack of the SMS keyboard did bother me at first, but only because I thought it was a "bug" in the release. Now I love that it isn't there!!
    12-22-09 03:58 PM
    The lack of the SMS keyboard did bother me at first, but only because I thought it was a "bug" in the release. Now I love that it isn't there!!
    How can I remove keyboard from showing up from default? I actually like to see the entire message thread/conversation (since some of the SMS's that approach 160 end up being half off the screen when the keyboard appears) before I reply? any thoughts on how to make sure it does NOT show up the keyboard when you open an SMS? I've been digging around on my phone since the OS upgrade in Nov, and can;t find it
    05-22-10 10:23 PM
    Another step close to Android....
    05-22-10 10:26 PM
    Too funny. Well...except for the issue
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/aut...-5-0-a-347368/

WAPers do it With A Passion
    I'm many people's brother, have several BB daughters and sons,
    but I sure as heck ain't your momma!
    I'm a Survivor Baby!But the dang game fizzled out

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 05-22-10 at 10:41 PM.
    05-22-10 10:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD