I had this app for a day but then it turned into a pain in the *** to unlock every time, so I got rid of it. I haven't run into the problem of the phone turning on in my pocket yet, so we'll see.
    11-23-08 11:18 PM
    nope....that just locks the phone. screen presses still wake up the phone. in true standby mode...a screen press would not wake the screen.
    This is the point i was missing. That makes sense now.

It is Options>Password what i was speaking of. Then options> screen/keyboard is where to change the backlight.

I downloaded it to give it a try. where does it go? I cant find it. It is in my Options>advanced options> auto lock. but cant find it anywhere else. Yes i looked in the downloads folder.
    Last edited by joshtbuff; 11-23-08 at 11:59 PM.
    11-23-08 11:43 PM
    Still don't understand the purpose of this. The screen locks when backlight goes off. How dies this help anything? This can be accomplished by pressing the lock button on top left. No extra added benefit. Thus isn't standby. If the screen is pressed in pocket or on accident, the phone still wakes up and prompts you for password.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-08 12:16 AM
    Still don't understand the purpose of this. The screen locks when backlight goes off. How dies this help anything? This can be accomplished by pressing the lock button on top left. No extra added benefit. Thus isn't standby. If the screen is pressed in pocket or on accident, the phone still wakes up and prompts you for password.

It's simple. You don't have to press the lock button for the phone to lock. When you're done using it, you just throw it back into your pocket, and when the backlight turns off, it will automatically lock the phone, so incase it were to turn on in your pocket, you won't accidentally push buttons. Minimizes that extra button click every time you're done using the phone. That's probably the biggest reason.
    11-24-08 12:20 AM
    Mine comes unlocked in my pocket constantly. I'd say 70% of the time. I've even tried putting it in upside down etc. to see what helps. Nothing seems to work with any consistency.

Real standby would be very nice.
    11-24-08 03:08 PM
    I've found that with Password enabled I haven't made any phantom calls. Prior to that, I had redialed the last person called a couple of times because the call button was depressed enough to call the last caller.

The screen is capacitive, so unless your pockets are mesh, the screen won't become unlocked by pressing the screen. More likely, body movement is pressing the lock/unlock button. Requiring a password seems to resolve that problem.

It might also be my imagination, but I think mine has been locking after a certain amount of inactivity anyway.
    11-24-08 03:39 PM
    It might also be my imagination, but I think mine has been locking after a certain amount of inactivity anyway.
    You are correct, when a password is set the phone will lock itself after the time specified in the Security Timeout setting (Options->Password->Security Timeout). If you set the Security Timeout and the Backlight Timeout (Options->Screen/Keyboard->Backlight Timeout) to the same time period the phone will lock itself when the screen blacks out.

This is how all of the other blackberries work too.
    11-25-08 04:35 PM
    yes but in the curve you can hold down the mute button which puts in standby mode, and when you do, the screen remains black UNTIL you press that mute button again.
    so if you press a key or the trackball, it doesn't turn on at all...
    11-25-08 05:35 PM
    How did you get it to install? I can't get it to install on my Storm.
    11-28-08 09:55 PM
    there was a posting in another thread about the question I'm going to ask, but I couldn't locate it / admittedly got lazy... i have a password set on the device, but it doesn't lock the screen from turning on.... anyone know how to apply the password only to messages/email.... this is what my business requires but they put the lock on the device, which worked fine on my pearl because it had standby... the new top left hard key automatically locks it... thanks in advance
    11-29-08 09:03 AM
    How did you get it to install? I can't get it to install on my Storm.
    Just go to this link directly from your storm and click on download. It will download and install automatically then it will be in your Options.

AutoLock - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com
    11-29-08 12:08 PM
    Thanks BBLou!! That worked great!!!
    11-29-08 04:46 PM
    GREAT PROGRAM WORKS GREAT!!! JUST LIKE OEM FROM RIM!!
    12-09-08 06:11 PM
    But this still doesnt fix the screen clicking and activating something during calls, that needs to be the next work around
    12-10-08 10:37 PM
    nice app, glad to not be walking around calling people. Although it may be a moot point as I am going to the store directly to get a proper holster, I'm always throwing things in my pocket and dont want to scratch the screen up
    03-13-09 12:29 PM
    GREAT application ! Works like a charm. Much appreciated !!!!
    05-28-09 08:42 PM
    I have noticed that even a *locked* phone auto-unlocks when an incoming call arrives. At least when there isn't a password.

So, even if the phone is locked an in your pocket, it will unlock itself when it rings, and might answer the call due to pressure in your pocket.

Not quite as bad as making random calls, but still not desirable.

Even when there is a password, on incoming calls, the screen becomes accessible to touch (to answer/ignore/reject the incoming call).

If you're worried about pressure on the screen, buy the original holster for the storm. I have been using that from the beginning, and i've never answered or called anyone by accident. Also, once in the holster, the phone will go into sleep mode and the screen will not light up on an incoming call (until you pull the phone out of the holster).
    05-28-09 09:10 PM
    05-28-09 09:14 PM
    great program, thanks! It silly to use the storm cover if we just wish to place it on the desk when we work. Hostler only handy when on the move
    05-28-09 09:43 PM
    But this still doesnt fix the screen clicking and activating something during calls, that needs to be the next work around
    Try out Pattern Lock. It does everything you guys are looking for.

05-28-09 11:36 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD